previous thread on LA internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trotter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could direct me to a previous post in this forum that evaluated the available ty/prelims in the LA area. I believe that Rubensan(?) posted it.

I recall reading it when going through this forum a year ago, but I'm having trouble finding it with the search and by going back through the previous threads.

If anyone recalls this or has used it, I would greatly appreciate your help.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

rubensan said:

That is an awesome thread.

How did you go about finding all these Prelim programs? I'm trying to figure out where (SFO/SJC, PDX, SEA, et al) I might apply for the ol' PGY-1, but FRIEDA only seems to list Transitional Year, unless I'm missing something. Did you have to go through all the IM programs in FREIDA and check their websites to see if they offered a Prelim year, and what the composition of said Prelim year was?

Members don't see this ad :)
xaelia said:
That is an awesome thread.

How did you go about finding all these Prelim programs? I'm trying to figure out where (SFO/SJC, PDX, SEA, et al) I might apply for the ol' PGY-1, but FRIEDA only seems to list Transitional Year, unless I'm missing something. Did you have to go through all the IM programs in FREIDA and check their websites to see if they offered a Prelim year, and what the composition of said Prelim year was?

Click on Internal Medicine and in "Optional Criteria" there is a prelim drop down

Thanks for your help Rubensan, much appreciated.

I was wondering if anyone had any info regarding the prelim at St. Mary Medical Center in Long Beach.

I am actually not all that psyched about doing a prelim and would prefer a TY.
However, my SO is in LA for residency so I have no choice in the matter (or at least not one I'm willing to consider). Consequently, I need to apply to any internship in LA or close by, Long Beach included.

So, any of you fine ophtho folks know anything about this place? It's not included in the original prelim thread. I checked out their website, but was hoping for some insider info.

thanks again,
trotter

I interviewed about 2 years ago. I don't remember all too much, except that at the time their PGY1 salary was around $2500 less than standard for the LA area.

More importantly, you also spend a lot of time in their ICU. Something like 5 months.

For the handful of people I talked to who had matched there, it was far from their first choice. And these were excellent people going to prime specialty residencies. but socal prelim programs are very difficult to get.

trotter said:
I was wondering if anyone had any info regarding the prelim at St. Mary Medical Center in Long Beach.

I am actually not all that psyched about doing a prelim and would prefer a TY.
However, my SO is in LA for residency so I have no choice in the matter (or at least not one I'm willing to consider). Consequently, I need to apply to any internship in LA or close by, Long Beach included.

So, any of you fine ophtho folks know anything about this place? It's not included in the original prelim thread. I checked out their website, but was hoping for some insider info.

thanks again,
trotter