previous waitlistees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaos

Web Crawler
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you are waitlistees? What eventually happened? Did you decide to stay on the waitlist thru the spring? I interviewed @ GW for this application cycle on their first day of interviews, but I just got the letter yesterday saying I'm on their list of "alternates." What would you recommend I do? I'm waiting now on answers from 2 other schools. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at my school back in november of last year and didn't hear a word until the beginning of may. I was then put on the wait list, and a few weeks later I got my acceptance. It seems strange that they put you on the alternate list so early--I guess some schools do it that way. Anyway, my school usually goes through about 1/2 of its waitlist (of about 90 people total), which is ranked. However, they don't decide who is on it until after all interviews are over. Don't worry-you'll get in. You might just have to wait.

There's no reason not to stay on the list, especially if it's your first choice. If you accept an offer at another school and finally get your acceptance from GW, you can always give up that first acceptance.

Do schools usually "rank" by what time during the process they put u on the waiting list? Or do they do it by accreditations, like grades and mcats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why the hell was this thread moved? I wanted to ask people who were ALREADY in med school about wait lists, and the best place to find answers would be in the allopathic forum. No? Oh, well.

I was just waitlisted the other day at my state school and i asked them how they rank. I was told that everyone is ranked by grades, mcats, and the score that the interviewer gave me. They also told me that I shouldn't expect to hear anything from them until after march. Sucks to be me:(

Kaos- I am currently a MS1 at GW. I interviewed with GW last October and was placed on their waitlist. As far as what I did after placed on their alternate list: sent two letters with updated information and how my goals matched their interests; sent a letter of intent and had an additional strong letter of recommendation sent to the Dean of Admissions. I can tell you, the extra effort was well worth it.

I was waitlisted the 2002 cycle at 4 schools last year: U Maryland, Penn State, Albany & UVA. I remained on the wait lists through the spring and summer, sent in all my new transcripts, another letter of recommendation... No love! (I got 4 rejections in September after their classes had started.)

For 2003 I elected to send in my primary & secondaries *IMMEDIATELY* - no waiting until I got rejected, and now I have 3 acceptances. I think sending my stuff in (not waiting, though still hoping...) made a difference. But seriously, it's so early in the app process right now, and so few schools are accepting too many people, waitlist is probably much more common, don't worry about it yet.

Jade~

BUMP
:D

Here's my question...

If I'm waitlisted @ 1 school, and am waiting on 4 others, should I wait until I hear acceptance/rejection/waitlist from the others before taking action (writing letter of intent, update info, etc) on the school I'm waitlisted on now? Or should I be working fulltime on trying to get into the one I'm waitlisted in?

:mad: I really need some help with this

Kaos,

If the school you are waitlisted at is your number one choice, then it cannot hurt to let them know that in a letter that describes your interest. You don't have to promise that you will attend this early in the game. But it can't hurt to restate your interest in their program, and show them your hope in transitioning from the waitlisted to the acceptable pool. You can do all these things as you wait to hear from the four other schools. Odds are, you won't hear about waitlist movement to atleast April, and realistically speaking..you should expect to wait into May, June, and July. That is when waitlists start to move. After May 15th, a person can only hold one acceptance. So those that were holding more then one have to decline some schools offers..then those schools look at their waitlists. Being waitlisted still gives you a VERY good shot at an acceptance, but it means a painful wait.

I'd write update letters to the school that waitlisted you (along with updated transcripts, LORs, etc). Then, if you get accepted to a program that you'd rather attend, you can take your self off the waitlist.

Hey Souljah and folks at UCSF, lets go out and have a drink...i just moved to Ocean Beach and i hear Cha Cha Cha's on Haight St. is a fun bar....

i was waitlisted at hopkins. i decided to stay on the waitlist through spring and summer. about the middle of june, i received a call from dean white saying i'd been accepted. i had other friends who got into hopkins and loyola off the waitlist, and they were on their list of alternates. they found out about the same time i did. hopkins didn't want any contact regarding interest, however my friends wrote letter updates to loyola showing their interest. i think this is the way to go for the yale waitlist as well. good luck!