rielazegui

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Does anyone know the reason behind the combo of amoxcillin and azithromycin in the prevpac besides clinical data? What is the mechanism of action that cause the synergism or why they work well together against H. pylori?

OP
R

rielazegui

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Your right it is clarithromycin. Well the macrolide decrease bacterial protein synthesis by binding to the bacterial ribosome and is moslty bacteriostatic. While the beta lactam inhibit peptidoglycan synthesis and is moslty bacteroicidal. I read in some studies that this combo can be antagonistic because the bacteriostatic action of the macrolide will decrease the bacteriocidal action of the beta lactam. I understand why it is used for community aquired pnuemonia, which is to cover the typical and atypical pathogens. But why have this combo for H. pylori?

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
Bugs...mutating...people don't want them to mutate...and ensure eradication...more guns means more firepower...that whole thing.

Aznfarmerboi

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
Status
Pharmacist
Bugs...mutating...people don't want them to mutate...and ensure eradication...more guns means more firepower...that whole thing.
Have you ever consider a teaching position? You will make a better teacher than most of the people that I know.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
Have you ever consider a teaching position? You will make a better teacher than most of the people that I know.
Not much of a market for a 26 year old smartass that took 5 years to graduate pharmacy school with a CV that reads slightly better than a blank sheet of paper in the teaching sector.

I'd probably like it. It'd be like a mutt in a dog show, though. I ain't got the pedigree.

scavok

Accepted!
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Westminster, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
one of the staff pharmacists I work with has a good saying when he sees a pt with 2+ antibiotics, "Nuke 'em!"