primaries do schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleur64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a little confused about how aacomas process for primaries is. After being verified is the primary application just sent out to the schools? Or do they wait until a specific date to send out the primaries like amcas. Amcas send out the primaries June 27th. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe aacomas sends out all verified/updated applications to schools every Tuesday and made available on Wednesday.

You won't start getting secondaries until mid-late July though.

yikes okay. also is the verification process just as length as amcas? Many people have told me it took them weeks to get verified so I am getting a little scared. And why is everyone trying to get in primaries early as possible, if schools dont look at the files until secondaries

Members don't see this ad :)
Applications are verified relatively quickly in the first few weeks before the rush of applicants submit. Anything submitted from August to Dec will take 4-6 weeks to get verified. So the earlier you submit, the quicker you're verified and released. This will give you a chance to be in the first batch of applicants being considered for interviews.

okay makes sense. I am taking my mcats June 21st so im hoping to have my score by the end of July. Will schools not give out a secondary until then? Or do they give out secondaries and then look at everything together?

You can submit and get your AACOMAS verified without the MCAT but most schools won't let you complete the secondaries without the MCAT on file. Submit your AACOMAS and do well on the MCAT. While you're waiting on the results, start working on the secondaries so when you do get them, you can do a quick turn around.

Okay that clears it up so much more. In terms the the students that medical schools review first basically goes off the primaries. So I'm assuming primaries kinda create the list of students who sumbitted early and then you can send in your secondaries and mcat scores right after if not available at the time. And then schools start viewing the application after a secondary is on file? Just trying to get this all down