Primary and Secondary Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myeghiazarian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I submit my primary application through Optomcas, then go back to work on the secondary applications? Or do I need to have everything finished before sending it in?

Members don't see this ad.

So I had a similar question and I called Optomcas. Basically, what the person told me was that you should finish your regular application, then finish the essays and then under "School Designations" you should fill out all of that information they ask. If the school designation asks you for an essay with the same prompt, you should be able to see a pull down menu where you can choose the essay you wrote on the main application page (your PS). Im assuming the "secondary" applications youre talking about are the ones under School Designation. If so, finish them before you esubmit.

You should esubmit when there is essentially nothing left that is in your control. So when transcripts get processed, and when professors write the LOR's are not in your control. But as far as essays and questions go, you should fill them out before hand. You can definitely call to re-confirm anything I just said, but this was what i got out of my conversation with an optomcas representative.

Great, thank you for the informative reply. So I just sent my transcript in, does that mean I should wait until it says "received transcript" on my application before I e-submit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, you can go ahead and e-submit. Just make sure that your essay/coursework/secondary questions etc... is all filled out. So basically everything under Applicant Info, Additional Info, Academic HIstory, Essay, LOR and school designation should have a check next to it. You can then e-submit as youve filled out everything required of you.

Your school(s) will probably take a week to process / ship out your transcript. Optomcas will then process it later, but none of that is in your control (same goes for when your professors write LOR's). Congrats on finishing early!

Also keep in mind that any secondary/supplemental applications or essays that are to be filled and submitted independently (not connected to OptomCas), you can do at any time. Some schools have those available on their websites, and others will send you an email with a link.
Generally, the sooner you submit everything the better your chances.