Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj337

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had 2 patients referred to me for primary billiary cirrhosis pain over the last few months. It is not entirely clear to me how much pain they suffer and if chronic pain meds are reasonable. Received referral today on 29 yo with PBC, no gaurding, no RUQ tenderness on Oxycontin 30 TID.

My impression was that chronic liver disease was not all that painful unless it is acute and there is distention of the capsule.

Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

I have had 2 patients referred to me for primary billiary cirrhosis pain over the last few months. It is not entirely clear to me how much pain they suffer and if chronic pain meds are reasonable. Received referral today on 29 yo with PBC, no gaurding, no RUQ tenderness on Oxycontin 30 TID.

My impression was that chronic liver disease was not all that painful unless it is acute and there is distention of the capsule.

Any input?

Would use Fentanyl for any internal organ pain syndrome if warranted.
How about a Celiac?

Steve -

Thanks for your input. Agree with fentanyl and eval for celiac. I guess I am just unsure of how much pain cirrhosis causes. I have seen maybe a hundred or so people during and after training with cirrhosis but they don't seem to complain about RUQ unless they have a lot of fluid build up (but then drainage would be the treatment).

I understand if capsular distention causes pain but just don't know about cirrhosis.

Thanks again for the input.