Primary care-internal medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doit4humanity

It's Morphin' Time!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First I would like to apologize if this is a repeated post but I can't seem to find my answer from other post in regard to primary care-internal medicine. I have a strong desire to do internal medicine but not sure which school I would get the best training and preparation between DO and MD? I have been reading different posts through out SDN forum, some people said DO is best choice if you're interested in doing primary care only. Please advise, thank you!

Once again I apologize if this a repeated topic.

Members don't see this ad.

For internal med there is no major difference training-wise between MD & DO.
DO has the OMM philosophy/training tacked on, but from what I've heard (somebody correct me if I'm wrong...) this is a small/shrinking part of the curriculum. All other aspects are the same as MD.
The reality is that the best training will be at the school where you have the best fit (and the one where you can get in). There are no 'bad' med schools in the US. In your case, the DO grade replacement might be to your benefit, but that's the largest difference between them.
If you were interested in a very specific specialty, there might still be a current bias towards MD, but this is changing quickly.

Thank you for the advise. I actually have no preference in which type of school I get accepted, because I just want to be a primary care physician dealing with patients on the daily basis. I'm more concern about the location of the school since I just have a new born and would like to stay in my home state and have parents help take care of the baby while my wife is at work and I'm in school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, get those grades up then, and I hope you're in a state with a lot of schools. Geographical bias/limited applications can be hard to pull off. Don't count on being able to get into the nearest one, because there are no guarantees in this process.
Best of luck to you.

First I would like to apologize if this is a repeated post but I can't seem to find my answer from other post in regard to primary care-internal medicine. I have a strong desire to do internal medicine but not sure which school I would get the best training and preparation between DO and MD? I have been reading different posts through out SDN forum, some people said DO is best choice if you're interested in doing primary care only. Please advise, thank you!

Whichever is cheaper. Less debt is better, especially if you are interested in primary care.

Don't think of this as being DO or MD dependent. It is better to think of it from a school to school basis. For example, my state school is an MD school, but is primary care focused. Look at the schools and figure out which ones are the best fit.