Primary Care Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatabox80

Super-Duper Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am very interested in pediatrics and loved my outpatient rotation. I could definately see myself spending the rest of my days being PC pediatrician...however, I am concerned about my ability to pay my loans back. I was talking with some docs today and they said that often pediatricians make 70-80 thousand a year, which is a fine salary, but it makes it a bit of a tough squeeze with 200,000 dollars worth of loans to pay back. Have you guys heard anything similar to this?

Members don't see this ad.

tatabox80 said:
Hi there,
I am very interested in pediatrics and loved my outpatient rotation. I could definately see myself spending the rest of my days being PC pediatrician...however, I am concerned about my ability to pay my loans back. I was talking with some docs today and they said that often pediatricians make 70-80 thousand a year, which is a fine salary, but it makes it a bit of a tough squeeze with 200,000 dollars worth of loans to pay back. Have you guys heard anything similar to this?

I think it depends on where you work - the first year is usually about 80k but i know PC peds who range from 100,000(academic center) to 175,000 (very busy suburb). So it really depends on your practice and how much your work. Yes, you do get paid less than the IM folks but 1) it is worth it to do what you enjoy doing and 2) you are still making good money.

You'll make more money if you do private practice than if you do academics so keep that in mind.