Primary Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this June, and have a question regarding how I calculating and entering your GPA works. At my school, Michigan State University, my grades are a straight 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, ... scale. We do *NOT* receive letter grades. Since, at least i've heard, AMCAS wants letter grades, how will that work for me? I mean, I go to a HUGE big ten school... so there's gotta be something said about it. Will my GPA now, say, 3.3 calculated according to the scale I have now be higher/lower after calculating the AMCAS way? HELP! :)

Members don't see this ad.

At my school we get A, B+, B, C+, C, D, and F which translates into AMCAS 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, 2.0 ect.

So in other words my grading system is essentially the same as yours and I can tell you that my GPA stayed the same for AMCAS. So don't fret :)

Thanks for the help! But, i'm still confused... can anyone else help? you see, that doesn't make sense Megkudos. How does a B+ translate to a 3.5? A B+ is a 3.3333. Therefore, the tranlation, the way you described it, should have greatly inflated your GPA.

In any regard, does anyone else know how it will work for my school, Michigan State University, how my 4.0, 3.5, 3.0 scale will translate into AMCAS? From my understanding the AMCAS tranlation is into a letter grade, , IE A, A-, B+, B... which corresponds to 4.0, 3.6667, 3.333, 3.000, etc. Thus, how will MY grades be translated? please help! If you don't know, at least post how the AMCAS method is

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly, AMCAS has the grading scale in place already for many schools. So when you go and enter your school, it is highly likely that they will have the grading system already in for your school. I just do not know how they will convert the grades.

If your school gives out decimal grades on a four-point scale, then your total AMCAS GPA should come the same as the school GPA. Only if your school gives out letters grades or some other scale besides on a 4.0 might the AMCAS GPA differ from the school GPA. For standard letter grading AMCAS uses:

A, A+ = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3

etc.

It is always exactly a 0.3 or 0.4 difference. Some schools use more decimal places (i.e., B+ = 3.333) and so the rounding might be different and therefore your school GPA and AMCAS GPA might differ slightly. Other schools have the + designation but no - in which case the grades would be

A,A+ = 4.0
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
C+ = 2.3
C = 2.0

etc.

If you want to see the AMCAS grading schedule for other grading systems, open up an <a href="http://www.aamc.org/amcas" target="_blank">AMCAS application</a> and look in the help section under Coursework, Specific Courses Taken, Grading Systems Conversions Table.

MPP, I wouldn't know how things are in MIchigan right now, I'm currently studying abroad in Greece for the academic year... but thanks for asking :) That's actually why I'm particularly concerned about the primary application, etc, 'cuz i'll be appying from here - it's not that i'm super anal :)

Anyway, thanks for answering, but you still haven't helped! Look, My school's grades are SIMPLY 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, period. There is NO 3.333 or 3.6667. Just a straight 4.0, 3.5, blah blah. Therefore, HOW would my 3.5 grade in biochemistry, for example, be inputed and understood by my primary application? thanks!

I think your AMCAS GPA will be exactly the same as the school GPA. If you are graded on a 4.0 scale than the grades transfer directly. Sorry if I was unclear.

I hope you're having a great time in Greece...I've never been but hope to sometime soon. I asked about Michiagan and not Michigan because that is how it's spelled in your profile. I assume its just a typo...

kreno,

I was wondering this exact same thing last year, because my school also does numerical grades: 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, etc.

You will input these grades and AMCAS will keep them listed this way. They automatically know the grading system for your school (if they know my dinky liberal arts school, they gotta know MI State).

Bottom line--YOUR GPA WILL BE IDENTICAL TO YOUR TRANSCRIPT. Unless of course, you put the information in wrong. It's a good way to double check.

So anyway, quit worrying about it and enjoy Greece!!!

Thanks!! Now that makes sense, you see i didn't realize the application would accindate according to my undergrad school.

Now, to beef up the difficulty... there is more :( You see, my university here in Greece, and American University (american accredited, blah blah) has a normal A, A-, B+, you know 40, 3.6667, 3.3333, etc system. Being that that's the case... any ideas how that will work for me? My grades will NOT be transfering to my home institution (Michigan STate), just the courses... but i'm assuming med schools will look at my grades here the same way as they look at my home grades... and since i'm here an academic year, i'm kinda concerned.. it's not just one or two classes. Thanks!

This is directly form the AMCAS help file for this year's application

The following schools are not considered foreign institutions and transcripts are required. Courses should be listed on the AMCAS materials like all other U.S. coursework.

Akita Campus of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
American College in Jerusalem (Closed in 1976)
American College in Switzerland
American College of Thessaloniki
American University in Beirut
American University in Bulgaria
American University in Cairo
American University of Paris
American University of Rome
College of Southeastern Europe
Deree College
Franklin College
Fundacion Universidad de las Americas - Puebla
IMC - International Management Centres
Instituto Centroamericano de Administracion de Empresas
Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey
International College
Lebanese American University
The Nigerian Baptist Theological Seminary
The Open College
Richmond College, The American International University in London
Universidad de las Americas, A.C.

Please note that this list is not all-inclusive. U.S. institutions with campuses overseas (such as the University of Maryland at Munich) are considered U.S. colleges for which transcripts are required and all coursework must be listed.

Courses (other than M.D. coursework) attempted independently at a foreign institution are NOT required to be listed if credit has NOT been transferred to a U.S. or Canadian institution. If you include this coursework on your application:

Include the foreign institution in your list of colleges attended.

Request a transcript exception for the foreign institution.

Do not send foreign transcripts or certificates to AMCAS.

Provide all required course data except credit hours attempted and AMCAS grades.

The coursework will NOT be verified by AMCAS and will NOT be included in your AMCAS GPAs.

••

Hope this helps you out. Another idea is to call AMCAS and ask but that is a scary proposition...

Here's some more stuff:

Courses attempted independently at a foreign institution must be listed if the credit has been transferred to a U.S. or Canadian institution using a credit hour system convertible to semester hours.

Include the foreign institution and the U.S. or Canadian institution accepting transfer credit in your list of colleges attended.

Request a transcript exception for the foreign institution. Indicate the U.S. or Canadian institution on whose transcript these transfer credits will appear.

List foreign coursework under the foreign institution at which it was attempted.

The College Name/Location assigned to this coursework will appear on your AMCAS application as follows:

Name/Location of U.S. or Canadian institution

Transfer Credit

(Name/Location of foreign institution)

If transfer credits are not assigned to individual courses, subdivide the credit hour total as appropriate and assign credit hours to each course.

If the U.S. or Canadian institution awarding transfer credit provides letter grades (e.g., A, B, C, etc.) and credit hours convertible to semester hours for each course on their transcript or on an official letter attached to their transcript:

Enter all required course data.

AMCAS will include this coursework in AMCAS GPAs, regardless of institutional policies.

If the U.S. or Canadian institution does NOT provide letter grades other than Pass/Fail:

Indicate "Pass/Fail" as the Course Type and provide all other required course data, entering the transcript grade exactly as it appears on your official transcript.

Select either "P" or "N" as the AMCAS grade.

AMCAS will NOT include this coursework in AMCAS GPAs; however, AMCAS will include this coursework in cumulative Pass/Fail-Pass and Pass/Fail-Fail credit hour totals.

••

And a bit more:

Courses attempted through a study abroad program sponsored by a U.S. or Canadian institution must be entered. If your transcript does not indicate that the courses were part of a formal study abroad program, you must ask the registrar's office to attach a letter of explanation to the official transcript before it is sent to AMCAS.

Include the foreign institution and the sponsoring U.S. or Canadian institution in your list of colleges attended.

Request a transcript exception for the foreign institution. Indicate the U.S. or Canadian institution on whose transcript credits will appear.

List study abroad coursework under the foreign college at which it was attempted.

The College Name/Location assigned to this coursework will appear on your AMCAS application as follows:

Name/Location of U.S. or Canadian institution

Study Abroad Program

(Name/Location of foreign institution)

If the sponsoring U.S. or Canadian institution provides letter grades (e.g., A, B, C, etc.) and credit hours convertible to semester hours for each course on their transcript or on an official letter attached to their transcript:

Enter all required course data.

AMCAS will include this coursework in AMCAS GPAs.

If the sponsoring U.S. or Canadian institution does NOT provide letter grades other than Pass/Fail:

Indicate "Pass/Fail" as the Course Type and provide all other required course data, entering the transcript grade exactly as it appears on the official transcript of the U.S. or Canadian sponsoring institution.

Select either "P" or "N" as the AMCAS grade.

AMCAS will NOT include this coursework in AMCAS GPAs; however, AMCAS will include this coursework in cumulative Pass/Fail-Pass and Pass/Fail-Fail credit hour totals.
••

I tried to just give you the link to all this but I can't seem to get to that. It is from the HELP function within the AMCAS Application.

Thanks! you rule! Where'd ou get the material anyway? And yep, my school "American College of Thessaloniki" is listed :)