1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Primary Question?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kreno, Jan 20, 2002.

1. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

I'm applying this June, and have a question regarding how I calculating and entering your GPA works. At my school, Michigan State University, my grades are a straight 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, ... scale. We do *NOT* receive letter grades. Since, at least i've heard, AMCAS wants letter grades, how will that work for me? I mean, I go to a HUGE big ten school... so there's gotta be something said about it. Will my GPA now, say, 3.3 calculated according to the scale I have now be higher/lower after calculating the AMCAS way? HELP! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

At my school we get A, B+, B, C+, C, D, and F which translates into AMCAS 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, 2.0 ect.

So in other words my grading system is essentially the same as yours and I can tell you that my GPA stayed the same for AMCAS. So don't fret :)

4. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the help! But, i'm still confused... can anyone else help? you see, that doesn't make sense Megkudos. How does a B+ translate to a 3.5? A B+ is a 3.3333. Therefore, the tranlation, the way you described it, should have greatly inflated your GPA.

In any regard, does anyone else know how it will work for my school, Michigan State University, how my 4.0, 3.5, 3.0 scale will translate into AMCAS? From my understanding the AMCAS tranlation is into a letter grade, , IE A, A-, B+, B... which corresponds to 4.0, 3.6667, 3.333, 3.000, etc. Thus, how will MY grades be translated? please help! If you don't know, at least post how the AMCAS method is

5. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If I remember correctly, AMCAS has the grading scale in place already for many schools. So when you go and enter your school, it is highly likely that they will have the grading system already in for your school. I just do not know how they will convert the grades.

6. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If your school gives out decimal grades on a four-point scale, then your total AMCAS GPA should come the same as the school GPA. Only if your school gives out letters grades or some other scale besides on a 4.0 might the AMCAS GPA differ from the school GPA. For standard letter grading AMCAS uses:

A, A+ = 4.0
    A- = 3.7
    B+ = 3.3
    B = 3.0
    B- = 2.7
    C+ = 2.3

etc.

It is always exactly a 0.3 or 0.4 difference. Some schools use more decimal places (i.e., B+ = 3.333) and so the rounding might be different and therefore your school GPA and AMCAS GPA might differ slightly. Other schools have the + designation but no - in which case the grades would be

A,A+ = 4.0
    B+ = 3.3
    B = 3.0
    C+ = 2.3
    C = 2.0

etc.

If you want to see the AMCAS grading schedule for other grading systems, open up an <a href="http://www.aamc.org/amcas" target="_blank">AMCAS application</a> and look in the help section under Coursework, Specific Courses Taken, Grading Systems Conversions Table.

7. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Kreno,

How are things in Michiagan?

8. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

MPP, I wouldn't know how things are in MIchigan right now, I'm currently studying abroad in Greece for the academic year... but thanks for asking :) That's actually why I'm particularly concerned about the primary application, etc, 'cuz i'll be appying from here - it's not that i'm super anal :)

Anyway, thanks for answering, but you still haven't helped! Look, My school's grades are SIMPLY 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, period. There is NO 3.333 or 3.6667. Just a straight 4.0, 3.5, blah blah. Therefore, HOW would my 3.5 grade in biochemistry, for example, be inputed and understood by my primary application? thanks!

9. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    I think your AMCAS GPA will be exactly the same as the school GPA. If you are graded on a 4.0 scale than the grades transfer directly. Sorry if I was unclear.

I hope you're having a great time in Greece...I've never been but hope to sometime soon. I asked about Michiagan and not Michigan because that is how it's spelled in your profile. I assume its just a typo...

10. poindexter

poindexter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

kreno,

I was wondering this exact same thing last year, because my school also does numerical grades: 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, etc.

You will input these grades and AMCAS will keep them listed this way. They automatically know the grading system for your school (if they know my dinky liberal arts school, they gotta know MI State).

Bottom line--YOUR GPA WILL BE IDENTICAL TO YOUR TRANSCRIPT. Unless of course, you put the information in wrong. It's a good way to double check.

So anyway, quit worrying about it and enjoy Greece!!!

11. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

Thanks!! Now that makes sense, you see i didn't realize the application would accindate according to my undergrad school.

Now, to beef up the difficulty... there is more :( You see, my university here in Greece, and American University (american accredited, blah blah) has a normal A, A-, B+, you know 40, 3.6667, 3.3333, etc system. Being that that's the case... any ideas how that will work for me? My grades will NOT be transfering to my home institution (Michigan STate), just the courses... but i'm assuming med schools will look at my grades here the same way as they look at my home grades... and since i'm here an academic year, i'm kinda concerned.. it's not just one or two classes. Thanks!

12. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    This is directly form the AMCAS help file for this year's application

13. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's some more stuff:

14. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    And a bit more:

15. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

Thanks! you rule! Where'd ou get the material anyway? And yep, my school "American College of Thessaloniki" is listed :)

16. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    It's from the HELP function of the AMCAS application.