primary vs subspecialty cert?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdvol

Private Practice
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got a a notice from the ABPMR that they are going to allow folks to just maintain the subspeciaty certification without the primary certification ie Pain but not PM&R if I read that right?

Benefits versus problems doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got a a notice from the ABPMR that they are going to allow folks to just maintain the subspeciaty certification without the primary certification ie Pain but not PM&R if I read that right?

Benefits versus problems doing this?

I was impressed they are actually looking at saving us a little money.... Not certain about ramifications

well if CRNAs can do pain and other mid level entry coming down the pike, ABMS starts becoming a little moot doesnt it?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a good thing. Too bad it doesn't start until 2015. I have to recert my primary in 2014. That's a nice kick in the n-ts for me, isn't it?

It's the first step toward making Pain Medicine its own field. I would imagine the anesthesiology board will do the same. I can't imagine failing the pain recert, but if so, it would be nice to still be boarded in something.

It's the first step toward making Pain Medicine its own field.

Maybe, anyone with knowledge of the board's inner workings? I've heard grumbling from the peds and NMD guys about primary recert. I've also heard inpatient attendings frustrated by spine pain being dumped into their clinics because they're PM&R