efficient

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys,
What's the purpose of primer when doing a composite or amalgam restoration?
How about of the acid etch?
The primer opens up the dentinal tubules right? and the acid etch removes the smear layer? Thanks

jay47

Think Positively!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
Status
Dentist
Hey guys,
What's the purpose of primer when doing a composite or amalgam restoration?
How about of the acid etch?
The primer opens up the dentinal tubules right? and the acid etch removes the smear layer? Thanks
Acid etch, typically 35-40% phosphoric acid, removes the smear layer AND opens the dentinal tubules. The primer does not open tubules, it "wets" the surface of the dentin to stop the dentin outer layer from collapsing and thus allows better adhesion (at least for traditional etch+prime+bond systems.

Most modern systems that combine etch and prime (Self etching primer, 5-6 the generations) don't fully remove smear layer. Bonding to amalgam isn't generally recommended, as it doesn't increase resistance of the restoration most of the time (Sturdevant's, p. 190).

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Most modern systems that combine etch and prime (Self etching primer, 5-6 the generations) don't fully remove smear layer. Bonding to amalgam isn't generally recommended, as it doesn't increase resistance of the restoration most of the time (Sturdevant's, p. 190).
5th generation agents do not have self-etching primer. They have a primer-bonding agent combination. You're thinking 6th and 7th generation agents, the latter of which combines primer, etch and bonding agent.

bigstix808

Mac Daddy Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
GA
Status
Dentist
ive read those L-pops have as much retention (if not done properly) as placing a composite on unetched dentin. even if done correctly the "all in one" systems just dont seem like a good idea to me as their bond strength is not nearly as well as say 4th generation (yea i know, it takes more time and blah blah blah). newer generations are VERY technique sensitive.

DrJeff

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2000
Brooklyn, ct
Status
Dentist
ive read those L-pops have as much retention (if not done properly) as placing a composite on unetched dentin. even if done correctly the "all in one" systems just dont seem like a good idea to me as their bond strength is not nearly as well as say 4th generation (yea i know, it takes more time and blah blah blah). newer generations are VERY technique sensitive.
Take a look at the acid concentration of the etchants in the 6th + 7th generation all in one adhesive systems and then compare that to the good 'ol phosphoric acid concentration used for 4th and 5th generation systems (don't think anybody really uses 3rd generation stuff anymore ;) ) Then you be the judge about the etch potential of each system ;) And as we all know, the better the etched surface, the better the both quality and quantity of the resin adhesion to the dentin/enamel