Princeton Review practice tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rickmtz5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently purchased the Princeton Review PCAT book, and I've been practicing with the online tests. However, the biology and Chemistry sections seem really difficult. Does anyone know if these tests might be a little harder than the actual test? Or am I just that bad at Biology and Chemistry? lol

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I recently purchased the Princeton Review PCAT book, and I've been practicing with the online tests. However, the biology and Chemistry sections seem really difficult. Does anyone know if these tests might be a little harder than the actual test? Or am I just that bad at Biology and Chemistry? lol

I was in the same shoes as you, I HATED TPR PCAT book, those problems are NOTHING like what we'll see on the PCAT, it's pretty impossible to finish those problems in a 30 minute time frame. That book just has waaaaay too much info. I guess it'll be good practice, but those problems are much more intense than what is expected of you on the actual PCAT.

Since you bought the book, you might as well study from it. Also if you can, purchase the 3 pearson vue exams and use those as a guide to see what you need to focus on. If you can, I'd suggest trying to find Dr. Collins prep material on one of these forums as it will gear you into a much better direction of how to prepare for the PCAT.

I really didn't like that book, I guess last year was their first year doing a PCAT book. I have one of their MCAT books and they basically have the EXACT same info. Their quant section also sucks, it will definitely not prepare you for the PCAT's quant section.

When is your exam?

I was in the same shoes as you, I HATED TPR PCAT book, those problems are NOTHING like what we'll see on the PCAT, it's pretty impossible to finish those problems in a 30 minute time frame. That book just has waaaaay too much info. I guess it'll be good practice, but those problems are much more intense than what is expected of you on the actual PCAT.

Since you bought the book, you might as well study from it. Also if you can, purchase the 3 pearson vue exams and use those as a guide to see what you need to focus on. If you can, I'd suggest trying to find Dr. Collins prep material on one of these forums as it will gear you into a much better direction of how to prepare for the PCAT.

I really didn't like that book, I guess last year was their first year doing a PCAT book. I have one of their MCAT books and they basically have the EXACT same info. Their quant section also sucks, it will definitely not prepare you for the PCAT's quant section.

When is your exam?

My exam is actually in couple of days on the 16th! I've been trying to study self teach myself organic chemistry, since I'm barely taking that class right now as well as other pre requisites!

My exam is actually in couple of days on the 16th! I've been trying to study self teach myself organic chemistry, since I'm barely taking that class right now as well as other pre requisites!

Ohhhhhh!!!!!! No worries!!! Don't panic, but definitely don't use those exams to practice considering your exam is monday. Forget purchasing Collins material (clearly we don't have time for that ) lol but what you CAN do, is purchase the pearson vue exams. I think they will help you greatly for practicing the actual type of problems that you will see on the exam.

Don't worry about ochem, mainly gear your focus on oxidation/reduction reactions, hydration/dehydration reactions, hydrolysis, addition/substitution/elimination reactions

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yup! Which pharmacy schools are you applying to??

I live in California (so all cali schools) and a few out of state, like Arizona, maybe Washington, and a few others but I'm still researching. No more than about 10-12 schools.

Awesome! I thought most of the schools in California did not require the PCAT?

They don't (actually none of the schools in cali require the PCAT), however, California is the hardest to get in, so I just want to make sure I have a back up if I don't get accepted here. Plus, some cali schools still like it when they see students perform well on the exam, even though they "technically" aren't supposed to include it in the acceptance process, but regardless it doesn't hurt. Where are you applying?

They don't (actually none of the schools in cali require the PCAT), however, California is the hardest to get in, so I just want to make sure I have a back up if I don't get accepted here. Plus, some cali schools still like it when they see students perform well on the exam, even though they "technically" aren't supposed to include it in the acceptance process, but regardless it doesn't hurt. Where are you applying?

I'm applying to most of the schools in Texas, since I live here! I'm also going to apply to 1 or 2 schools in other states just to be safe. So in total I'll probably apply to 6 or 7 schools :)

I'm applying to most of the schools in Texas, since I live here! I'm also going to apply to 1 or 2 schools in other states just to be safe. So in total I'll probably apply to 6 or 7 schools :)
Well good luck!! :)

Arri, have you taken the PCAT before? I've been doing the Princeton review tests online and goddamn they are hard. The Pearson VUE questions seem INCREDIBLY easy in comparison.

If the actual PCAT is like the Pearson VUE practice tests then I'll be fine, but if it's like the Princeton Review practice tests. I'm screwed.

Arri, have you taken the PCAT before? I've been doing the Princeton review tests online and goddamn they are hard. The Pearson VUE questions seem INCREDIBLY easy in comparison.

If the actual PCAT is like the Pearson VUE practice tests then I'll be fine, but if it's like the Princeton Review practice tests. I'm screwed.

Yes!! But I'm retaking the exam on Wednesday!! I used all the wrong material the first time I took my exam and was not prepared for it the way I am now. Even though I did poorly the first time i took it, I feel like I can give advice from my mistakes.

Yes, the princeton review book was horrible. I liked the way it taught the material, but it's just waaaaay too into depth for anything that will be asked on the actual PCAT. The supplemental information online that comes with the book is much more difficult than anything the PCAT will expect of you, I guess it's good practice, but there's no way anyone can finish that material in the allotted time given for each section.

Collins material is concise and straight to the point for what will be asked. Even though some of the material is old in Dr. Collins, the general idea is there for what needs to be known for the exam, it cuts all the nonsense out.

Books like Kaplan and TPR etc are good for more understanding if you don't understand something from Collins. Just go through the pearson vue exams THOROUGHLY (meaning, read the answers/explanations for even the questions you got correct) and I think we should be fine :)

Yes!! But I'm retaking the exam on Wednesday!! I used all the wrong material the first time I took my exam and was not prepared for it the way I am now. Even though I did poorly the first time i took it, I feel like I can give advice from my mistakes.

Yes, the princeton review book was horrible. I liked the way it taught the material, but it's just waaaaay too into depth for anything that will be asked on the actual PCAT. The supplemental information online that comes with the book is much more difficult than anything the PCAT will expect of you, I guess it's good practice, but there's no way anyone can finish that material in the allotted time given for each section.

Collins material is concise and straight to the point for what will be asked. Even though some of the material is old in Dr. Collins, the general idea is there for what needs to be known for the exam, it cuts all the nonsense out.

Books like Kaplan and TPR etc are good for more understanding if you don't understand something from Collins. Just go through the pearson vue exams THOROUGHLY (meaning, read the answers/explanations for even the questions you got correct) and I think we should be fine :)

Awesome thanks a lot. :)

Good luck on ur PCAT

Last edited: