Principles of Surgery Exam Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shirley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone appeared for the POS exam in Canada?
I need advice as to what to study and are there any question banks available..?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I am also planning on taking the exam this spring but its hard to know what its all about unlike the ABSITE and written exams here in the US. If any one knows what is the best material to go over please let us know!

I wrote it in 2003, but I doubt it's changed that much since then. The best thing to study is the first part of any general surg text (wound healing, hemostasis, immunology, etc). We also used the Rush review as well. There are some old questions out there, but getting a hold of them is a challenge unless you know someone that wrote it last year (people guard them really close and they are technically illegal to have). i think there is a list of objectives for the exam on the Royal College website.

Most residents study quite hard for this exam (starting a few months ahead) and there are prep courses as part of most residencies as part of their curriculum. Despite this there is a fairly high failure rate each year, so study hard and best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a website called"principles of surgery.com" that claims to have a question bank with online exams...does anyone know if it is a reliable website and if it is worth the 59$ you have to pay...?

Word on the street is that the POS exam will be changing significantly from the past-either this year or next year. I heard about this at one of my institution's POS seminars from a couple of the staff guys. Thus, old questions might not be as high yield as they were in past years as there is less chance of questions being recycled.

Thanks Coastal , but changing in what way?
....please advise as I am from outside the system,
I have to pass this year-that is April 2009..

I'm sorry, I don't know exactly. I don't have to write until 2010, so I haven't looked into it at all.

anyone else know what changes are expected in the POS exam..? and from when?
thanks

HI Coastal,
please do us a favour and find out for us people who are giving it this year ..
what changes will there be in the POS...and from which year?
please help... we are desperate.

thanks

Yes I am also planning on taking the exam this spring but its hard to know what its all about unlike the ABSITE and written exams here in the US. If any one knows what is the best material to go over please let us know!
Hi

Can I ask you why do you want to take POS if you are training in US.

i am not in the us. i am in canada. have to give pos this year

i am not in the us. i am in canada. have to give pos this year

Hey Shirley

I am taking POS exam too, do you what is the date of the exam and can one take in any city or there is a particular center. I am in US and want to know what you are studying. any to the point material.

Thanks for your help.

there are different centers but lyou have to register before 1st feb if i remember correctly. all info is on the royal college website. i am studying schwartz but wanted to know what others who are "in the system" are studying too.

Members don't see this ad :)
the exam is april 6th and 7th

Thanks. I am reading Schwartz too but the pocket edition. I plan to do Rush questions. Do you know if POS has one best answer or multiple answers, how mnay questions are there. Is it computer or paper based. I am regiatered for the exam but havn't received letter yet. Where are you located, I am in LA.

it is multiple choice and paper based. but am worried as someone on this forum said the format might be changing soon............have you heard about this?

it is multiple choice and paper based. but am worried as someone on this forum said the format might be changing soon............have you heard about this?

You should be getting a letter from RCPSC regarding that. If they don't tell you in the letter it is better to ask them. Call Examinations unit at RCPSC. Have you talked to residents who have taken this last year. Is it percentile pass or percentage. I read there are 300 questions. 150 each in 3 hours.

Any update about POS exams? I'm due to sit them next month. I know the dates are April 1&2, 3 hours each, but I'm not entirely sure of the format.

Its multiple choice paper-based and about 300 questions. I used Schwartz, Principles of Surgery self assessment and board review as well as the class offered in my Residency program. I think all the programs in Canada have a mandatory course that prepares you for this exam.

Hi everyone!

I will be writing the POS exam next year (April 2016), just wanted to know where to get hold of past exam papers as I believe they repeat a lot of questions? What study materials are recommended for preparation besides Schwartz and Morrell notes? What is the pass mark for these exams?

Hi there. Was wondering if you managed to get any mock Surgical Foundations (previously POS) exam. I will be writing it in end March 2018, and trying to gather previous mock exam questions. Have managed to obtain the University of Toronto's mock Surgical Foundations exams for 2012, 2013 and 2014, and can send them to you.

I hope you don't need them anymore though :) and have already cleared this exam.

Anyway, would love to receive any mock questions you have.

Thanks in advance, and cheers
Connector

Hi there. Was wondering if you managed to get any mock Surgical Foundations (previously POS) exam. I will be writing it in end March 2018, and trying to gather previous mock exam questions. Have managed to obtain the University of Toronto's mock Surgical Foundations exams for 2012, 2013 and 2014, and can send them to you.

I hope you don't need them anymore though :) and have already cleared this exam.

Anyway, would love to receive any mock questions you have.

Thanks in advance, and cheers
Connector

How can I get copies of the mock Surgical exams?

Message me, and I will send you the mock exams I have. Hope you have some too...
hello,
I would be very grateful if you could send me some mock exams and any input appreciated, like what book to read....
I hope your exam went well.
thanks