1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

printers and such

Discussion in 'Tech: Medical Apps, iOS, Android, medical devices' started by kasha, Aug 12, 2006.

1. kasha

kasha Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

will buying one save me money on printouts? my school charges 5 cents a page. if so, are there more ink-efficient models?

thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SkylineMD

SkylineMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    assume that if you are printing lecture slides along with scribe notes, this could run into a liberal number of 1000 pages for the year? (i personally have a quota above 500 but haven't ever really run out). That comes out to about 50 dollars. If you get your own printer, then you already have probably gone above the 50 dollar limit not to mention you have to supply your own printer and ink cartridge. If you further want to match the quality of laser printers, then this cost could go up even more. It doesn't seem like a bad deal but I can't imagine why the school didn't give you a print quota before they start charging you per copy.

Even if you use 2000 pages, 100 dollars isn't all that bad either. If you already have a printer then you can re-assess the financial feasibility but buying one doesn't seem beneficial IMO

4. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Over the course of 4 years, you should be able to save money by buying a cheap laser printer (not inkjet). Most of the laser printers at the low end of the price spectrum should be sufficient for your needs.

I paid about $80 on ebay for a cheap Konica printer a couple of years ago with a 1500 sheet toner cartridge. I had to pay about as much to get a replacement cartridge, but it's good for 6000 sheets. $160 / 7500 sheets = a pretty good deal (about 2 cents/page, not including the cost of paper).