Priority: Scribe vs Post-Bac? Advice Needed Quickly!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I'm an older non-trad set to start a structured post-bac program in Spring 2021.
I've been applying to scribe jobs as clinical experience is vital. After months and months of applying and getting nowhere, I finally got an interview. However, I'm supposed to be starting school in 3 months.
The interviewer told me already that if I'm going to have any upcoming schedule changes that limit availability that I should just re-apply some other time.
Have no idea what to do at this point.

Some things to note:
  • I believe it is full-time coursework. I emailed the advisor to find out if it is flexible in terms of credit minimums / time constraints
  • Finances are the least of my concerns right now, but it would be nice
  • Regarding, clinical hours, I am a complete newbie in terms of deciding to apply to med school. The only thing I have is a bachelor's in computer science. Nothing else - no research, clinical experience, volunteering, shadowing, etc.
  • I am currently not working. I have some money saved from a job in my previous industry which I quit because I was being treated like crap and was told I had another scribe job lined up that fell through due to COVID

All help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

mblumes said:
Hey guys!
I'm an older non-trad set to start a structured post-bac program in Spring 2021.
I've been applying to scribe jobs as clinical experience is vital. After months and months of applying and getting nowhere, I finally got an interview. However, I'm supposed to be starting school in 3 months.
The interviewer told me already that if I'm going to have any upcoming schedule changes that limit availability that I should just re-apply some other time.
Have no idea what to do at this point.

Some things to note:
  • I believe it is full-time coursework. I emailed the advisor to find out if it is flexible in terms of credit minimums / time constraints
  • Finances are the least of my concerns right now, but it would be nice
  • Regarding, clinical hours, I am a complete newbie in terms of deciding to apply to med school. The only thing I have is a bachelor's in computer science. Nothing else - no research, clinical experience, volunteering, shadowing, etc.
  • I am currently not working. I have some money saved from a job in my previous industry which I quit because I was being treated like crap and was told I had another scribe job lined up that fell through due to COVID

All help is greatly appreciated!
Some ideas:
1) You might want to find out how the post-bacc is structured (w/the COVID crap--if classes will be online, in-person, hybrid, etc.). This will greatly help you structure your time.
2) Not sure what you mean by second bullet point--you want to plan for your financial future as you plan your career. That means not investing in schooling for careers that you don't have a lot of experience with, right? So plan wisely and make sure you get some shadowing/clinical volunteering in before you make the big leap and invest in a post-bacc.
3) What does your GPA look like?
4) Have you taken the MCAT yet?
5) You will need to have a solid answer for "why medicine?" as a degree in computer science is prestigious and something that many people would be happy with.
6) Don't let COVID limit your possibilities. If you want it, make it happen.

Good luck.