prison-based electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlofdestiny

lurker extraordinaire
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone's school offered electives (preferably open to visiting students) that are focused on health care in the corrections setting. IM/FM/Peds/Lady stuff, I'd been interested in any of these.
I've tried googling and searching SDN, but to no avail. Any leads would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if anyone's school offered electives (preferably open to visiting students) that are focused on health care in the corrections setting. IM/FM/Peds/Lady stuff, I'd been interested in any of these.
I've tried googling and searching SDN, but to no avail. Any leads would be much appreciated.

This I find fascinating. Can you tell me why you would be interested in such an elective? I don't know of any electives so I can't help you, but I would be very interested in knowing.

Members don't see this ad :)

Much of prison medical care is provided by nurses. More severe illnesses and injuries are immediately transported to designated hospitals. I think you would be pretty bored, even if you could find one of these.

Much of prison medical care is provided by nurses. More severe illnesses and injuries are immediately transported to designated hospitals. I think you would be pretty bored, even if you could find one of these.

+1, having seen and been shocked by prisoners shackled to hospital beds! and removing foreign bodies from them on my surgery rotation!

Also, for primary care, they tend to be transported in to state clinics, also something I've seen.

Try psych, I know there's a prison option for the psych rotation at my school.

Did a prison psych rotation. Very informative, totally different than what I thought. You learn a LOT about malingering and secondary gain, but in a good way.

+1, having seen and been shocked by prisoners shackled to hospital beds! and removing foreign bodies from them on my surgery rotation!

Also, for primary care, they tend to be transported in to state clinics, also something I've seen.

Agree on Psych. Did a month at the Hospital for the Criminally Insane (or whatever fancy PC name it had, I forget). Loved it, almost tried to match in it until I did outpatient.

Raise your hand if you've ever inserted the plastic dildo thing for rectal contrast into a prisoner. Raise your other hand if you've also done the same to a teenage girl on the same day.

I interviewed down in Galveston, Tx when applying to medical school a couple of years and I recall they had a prison on the medical school campus. I am fairly sure that some of the rotations offered there offer some time of corrections oriented curriculum.

Check it out sometime..

This I find fascinating. Can you tell me why you would be interested in such an elective? I don't know of any electives so I can't help you, but I would be very interested in knowing.

I've always been interested in the prison system in general. How/what/who we as a society punish, etc.
Also, I go to med school in Chicago where corrections health care has been in the news A LOT in recent years, mainly for being so awful.
Also, I find prisoners a population with uniquely complicated needs. For many inmates, corrections-based care is the only health care they receive.

I disagree. At least here in Chicago, Cook County jail has its own pseudo-hospital
http://www.cookcountysheriff.org/doc/html/cermak.html

Agree on Psych. Did a month at the Hospital for the Criminally Insane (or whatever fancy PC name it had, I forget). Loved it, almost tried to match in it until I did outpatient.

Raise your hand if you've ever inserted the plastic dildo thing for rectal contrast into a prisoner. Raise your other hand if you've also done the same to a teenage girl on the same day.

ROTCALMAO!!!!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh: Something is seriously wrong with you LOL:smuggrin::smuggrin:

The community hospital my school rotates through has it's own prison ward. At one point during IM my entire list was full of prisoners. I didn't find them to be all that different than any of my other patients at that hospital.

As an MS-IV, I spent two months in a prison for my required "underserved/rural rotation" and it was truly one of most fascinating experiences of my life. This took place at the Florida Department of Corrections in Lake Butler, FL which is about 45 minutes north of Gainesville. From what I was told there, they are the last hospital behind bars in the country (other than the feds). It about a 150 bed hospital with ER, radiology, and surgery and all acutely ill patients in the Florida prison system were transferred there, with the exception of seriously ill (ICU patients) were sent to the county hospital in Jacksonville. Its definitely a fascinating environment to work in--there are inmates that work in the hospital as orderlies (called permanents), going through security everyday, and seeing the social interaction among inmates. Plus there is a ton of interesting pathology in the prison system--HIV, tuberculosis, unusual cancers, etc.

Because prison hospitals do not fall under the rules of JCHAO and CMS, there is a large amount of freedom for students. The other 2 students and myself were assigned about 8 patients at our time. They were our patients--our names were on the chart, we dictated their H&P's, wrote progress notes and orders, and performed any procedures needed (central lines, intubations, I even did a blakemore tube). We sat down with our attending for about an hour a day to go over the patients.

The rotation was one of the most popular at my school, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in correctional medicine. It definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things--and not just about medicine! Supposedly they are starting the first-ever correctional medicine fellowship at this hospital which can be done after a family medicine or IM residency. They were always eager to have medical students so I wouldn't hesitate to contact them to see about a rotation if you're interested, just do a search for Lake Butler prison. PM me with any other questions!

I did part of my ob/gyn rotation in the county jail. It was actually my favorite part of the rotation. The patients were really nice!

Metallica (pre-Black Album) fixes everything.

Still haven't heard all of the new one.

AAhh my friend you don't know what your missing. Suicide and Redemption is a complete masterpiece.:):)

UCONN Health (University of Connecticut Health Center) was recently approved by the AOA to start a Correctional Fellowship training program in March 2014. The program is the second in the nation to offer DO physicians an opportunity to specialize in Correctional Medicine that also provides an MPH degree and the eligibility to take the AOA Correctional Medicine board exam. Correctional Medicine is the field of Medicine that provides care to those incarcerated (jails, prisons, juvenile detentions, and Federal/ICU detention centers). UCONN Health Correctional Managed Health Care program provides global health care (physical health, mental health, and dental health) to those incarcerated in the Connecticut Department of Correction. The fellowship program has rotations through the jails, prisons, women's jail/prison, youth prison, mental health prison, and John Dempsey Hospital's secure prison unit. They are currently taking applications. The program number is Program Number: 360678.