Prite 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got prite scores back?

Members don't see this ad.

They will probably come in the day after milestones are due.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Jan 13, but I was being sarcastic. We generally get PRITE mid to late Dec.

Who cares? It's a meaningless exam (though this year was slightly more tolerable given that it had more neuroscience/genetics/molecular biology, etc rather than developmental and psychodynamic garbage).

Reactions: 1 user
Who cares? It's a meaningless exam (though this year was slightly more tolerable given that it had more neuroscience/genetics/molecular biology, etc rather than developmental and psychodynamic garbage).
The former PD of my adult residency with 20+ years of experience as PD said it is decent for identifying those at risk of failing boards.
Also, generally residents who are more intelligent and thoughtful and knowledgeable of psychiatry/neurology tend to perform better on the test than those who are not. The residents who had to "remediate" the PRITE were usually not surprising.

The former PD of my adult residency with 20+ years of experience as PD said it is decent for identifying those at risk of failing boards.
Also, generally residents who are more intelligent and thoughtful and knowledgeable of psychiatry/neurology tend to perform better on the test than those who are not. The residents who had to "remediate" the PRITE were usually not surprising.

Well yeah, it's not that hard of a test- the neuro is at the med student level and most of the questions are straightforward, and if a resident fails it (particularly after intern year), he or she has some serious issues that need to be addressed. I generally do pretty well on it, but it's definitely not a cause for celebration. My point was for a decent resident it's a meaningless exam, and studying for it for any considerable period is a waste of time that is better spent reading to improve general knowledge.

Reactions: 1 users
Well yeah, it's not that hard of a test- the neuro is at the med student level and most of the questions are straightforward, and if a resident fails it (particularly after intern year), he or she has some serious issues that need to be addressed. I generally do pretty well on it, but it's definitely not a cause for celebration. My point was for a decent resident it's a meaningless exam, and studying for it for any considerable period is a waste of time that is better spent reading to improve general knowledge.

I really thought the shelf exam had more to do with psychiatry and in some ways was intellectually more challenging. Maybe if it weren't volunteer work, if there was some actual money involved or doing well would mean something nationally, the exam would improve.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got scores back but I don't know what they mean because I got a standard score and no percentile and I was told that if I didn't make a certain cut off (20th percentile of intern year cohort), I would have to remediate. I am going to be studying for the step 3 and don't know how I'll have the time to do both. I got a 578 on the psych portion which I think is good and a 378 on the neuro portion which I think is below the 20th percentile overall but I am not sure about intern cohort. Of course, everyone I could ask in my program is still on winter break.

Your score report should list two different rankings for each section (psychiatry vs. neurology) and subsection (C&A, Emergency Psychiatry, etc). The rankings are relative to your class/cohort, and relative to your residency as a whole. You should be able to roughly determine this percentile. Hope this helps!

Your score report should list two different rankings for each section (psychiatry vs. neurology) and subsection (C&A, Emergency Psychiatry, etc). The rankings are relative to your class/cohort, and relative to your residency as a whole. You should be able to roughly determine this percentile. Hope this helps!

They won't give me the full score report. I asked for it today

You'd think psychiatry would understand that at this stage of the game, continuing to give numerical grades only causes obsessive people to obsess more.

What is failing?

I got mine two weeks ago! They are reported not in standard scores instead of percentiles this year. Got about almost the worst in my pgy-1 but beat a good portion of our pgy-3s and 4s. Baffled.

No idea of the standard deviation or anything?

If it's subjective, how can it be a sign of deficient knowledge?
It's not subjective--it is an objective, standardized exam. However--there is no pre-defined "failing" level. It is up to each program to determine how they will use the results, where cutoffs for remediation might be placed, what rewards and consequences to associate with performance, etc.

Last year we had an active discussion about how invalid the PRITE was and how meaningless the test is. Of course my assumption was that these arguments were made by residents who did poorly on the test. Maybe this year's silence means people did better? Of course half of the residents did below average.

Not sure what to make of any of them really since there is no STD or percentile.

Last edited:
no STD? i think many people would liken the PRITE to an HSV outbreak - irritating, comes back like clockwork, and gets a bit better to deal with each time
And the boards are like syphilis, your think they went away but it is still there eating away at your brain and dorsal columns with MOC.

Reactions: 3 users
And the boards are like syphilis, your think they went away but it is still there eating away at your brain and dorsal columns with MOC.
and there are 4 stages!

Stage II - professionalism aka syphilitic chancre
Stage II - self assessment aka condylomata lata
Stage III - recertification exam aka latency phase
stage IV - performance in practice aka general paresis of the insane

Reactions: 2 users
It's not subjective--it is an objective, standardized exam. However--there is no pre-defined "failing" level. It is up to each program to determine how they will use the results, where cutoffs for remediation might be placed, what rewards and consequences to associate with performance, etc.

I know the exam is objective. I'm saying if the failing score is subjective, depending on program, how can anyone say it's a sign of deficiency (as was stated in this thread)? A failure to one program is a pass to another and vice versa is what I'm saying.

If your PD got the same report that we did, there were no less than 18 attachments showing three major categories of Neuro Science, clinical neurology and psychiatry. It also divided these further into psychiatry subscores and then finally into milestones. In my opinion, the psychiatry subscores look like “development and maturation”, Behavioral and social sciences, epidemiology… and often are over divided to the point where some of them only have a handful of questions. This means that students who look at where to study or what they are weak at can be misled into believing they are way above or below average with a difference of only one question right or wrong. The major categories do have some predictive value in terms of board pass rates and unlike some, I believe the whole thing isn’t a complete waste of time. Now if you want to paint me as a conformist, please keep in mind that I remain a loud cynic when it comes to discussions about MOC and milestones oh and duty hours. Don’t get me started on that.

If your PD got the same report that we did, there were no less than 18 attachments showing three major categories of Neuro Science, clinical neurology and psychiatry. It also divided these further into psychiatry subscores and then finally into milestones. In my opinion, the psychiatry subscores look like “development and maturation”, Behavioral and social sciences, epidemiology… and often are over divided to the point where some of them only have a handful of questions. This means that students who look at where to study or what they are weak at can be misled into believing they are way above or below average with a difference of only one question right or wrong. The major categories do have some predictive value in terms of board pass rates and unlike some, I believe the whole thing isn’t a complete waste of time. Now if you want to paint me as a conformist, please keep in mind that I remain a loud cynic when it comes to discussions about MOC and milestones oh and duty hours. Don’t get me started on that.

My N of 1 but my PRITE score was fairly close to my boards score (although boards higher of course, as the questions are easier overall). I have a somewhat hard time believing the PRITE has no predictive value towards boards pass rates, I guess the question is the correlation high enough to be leaned upon in any manner for programs/PDs.

My N of 1 but my PRITE score was fairly close to my boards score (although boards higher of course, as the questions are easier overall). I have a somewhat hard time believing the PRITE has no predictive value towards boards pass rates, I guess the question is the correlation high enough to be leaned upon in any manner for programs/PDs.
What exactly is the correlation, though? I've never heard anyone elaborate on this in any degree. Obviously the better you do on PRITE the better you may do on boards as a generalization but that generalization would hold true between USMLE (or even MCAT) and the boards. I've never heard at what point it's relevant, for instance scoring 75%ile or above translates to a x% confidence of passing boards.

The mere correlation doesn't really show that PRITE preparation is useful for the boards or that it is a good exam. It just could be the kind of people who study for the boards will also take exams in residency seriously and study for the PRITE. I mean, after all the trivia in PRITE is not entirely useless, but the exam just could be that much better.

I agree and I'm not defending PRITE that much. I think you are right. If you looked at reading above level in the first grade, you may even find a stronger correlation.

I'd like to see the correlation with Step II-CK. I suspect that it is more reflective of test-taking skills in general....

I'm sure it is to some degree, but when you get into the specialized areas some people surely must do better on a psych/neuro specific exam than general medicine. I have at least one friend who is 2-3 STDs different between Step II and PRITE and I don't think he is the only one who really shines brighter in psych.

I think all the comments based on early IQ or reading skills or any previous test are likely true but given that psych residencies must do some performance test each year I think it makes sense to have a test that could show a program if a resident was really behind. Like Splik said, I don't think that's the PRITE, but it seems like a reasonable goal to have for the exam.

Which book do you recommend for neuroscience?

For my N=1, passed boards and found boards much different / not predictive based on PRITE

Which book do you recommend for neuroscience?

None- because studying neuroscience (or anything else for that matter) for the PRITE is a waste of time. For reading about neuroscience because it pertains to a patient, grand rounds topic, or my research (on what you should spend your time reading as a resident), I go to the top journals (nature neuroscience, neuron, molecular psychiatry, biological psychiatry, etc). S