Prite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdblue

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
What's your feeling about the yearly PRITE? Do you think it really makes any difference in your training? I felt there was too much repeaters thus making the test unfairly biased.
Any thoughts? :)

Members don't see this ad.

mdblue said:
Hi all,
What's your feeling about the yearly PRITE? Do you think it really makes any difference in your training? I felt there was too much repeaters thus making the test unfairly biased.

I thought it was reasonably good preparation for Part I of the Boards, but other than that... :barf:

I think the test is pretty crappy...but does accomplish one thing, albeit unintentionally....it shows you what kind of questions you'll see when you graduate and take the written portion. Not that this couldn't be accomplished by buying a review book. I'm not so much worried about the written portion, but the oral boards, with it's insane 40-55% failure rate. :eek:

Written boards can be passed by most psychiatrists...we all made it through the arguably more difficult Step I, II, and IIIs. To put your knowledge up to someone else's opinion of your interview technique that is supposed to ONLY demonstrate your safety and competency is worrisome. I've heard of people failing because the interview, though safe and competent, was "boring" etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
mdblue said:
Hi all,

I have mixed feelings about the PRITE. I have trouble swallowing the statistical breakdown for certain sections. For example, I was immediately disappointed in my percentile score in "emergency psychiatry" which was something like the 20th percentile. However, when I looked at the raw score, I had 12 out of 15 correct which makes me wonder what kind of standard deviation exists per section. A lot of my classmates experienced the same thing in different sections. I had a hard time getting an idea of my weak areas because of this. I guess it is a decent preparation for the written portion of the boards, but I doubt is any indicator of clinical performance and only a moderate predictor of fund of knowledge at best....

Just my 2 cents...

Big Lebowski said:
I have mixed feelings about the PRITE. I have trouble swallowing the statistical breakdown for certain sections. For example, I was immediately disappointed in my percentile score in "emergency psychiatry" which was something like the 20th percentile. However, when I looked at the raw score, I had 12 out of 15 correct which makes me wonder what kind of standard deviation exists per section. A lot of my classmates experienced the same thing in different sections. I had a hard time getting an idea of my weak areas because of this. I guess it is a decent preparation for the written portion of the boards, but I doubt is any indicator of clinical performance and only a moderate predictor of fund of knowledge at best....

Yeah 14/15, a mere two point difference, is 80th percentile (PGY-2) and79th percentile (all). The subscore percentiles really don't seem to aid much for board prep. Especially considering my lowest score was 'Miscellaneous' (5th and 8th percentile... ewww)

I've made a resolution, I will now only study miscellaneous psychiatry topics! :rolleyes:

Are any programs gauche enough to reveal exactly how individual residents ranked relative to other program residents and/or child fellows? Have you inquired within your own year as to who ranks below/above you? Inquiring minds want to know!

Milo said:
Yeah 14/15, a mere two point difference, is 80th percentile (PGY-2) and79th percentile (all). The subscore percentiles really don't seem to aid much for board prep. Especially considering my lowest score was 'Miscellaneous' (5th and 8th percentile... ewww)

I've made a resolution, I will now only study miscellaneous psychiatry topics! :rolleyes:

Are any programs gauche enough to reveal exactly how individual residents ranked relative to other program residents and/or child fellows? Have you inquired within your own year as to who ranks below/above you? Inquiring minds want to know!
In my program that's the norm. We get our ranking as compared to our class and the prog in general. Child fellows are not ranked. And it feels like elementary school. :D But still it does not make any sense, because there might be 5 different people w/ similar percentile and getting ranked differently.
Also as the previous posts indicate the SD for the subsections is intriguing :confused: