Prite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clement

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's a decent percentile as an intern? Is it good to get >50% correct on the
raw items correct/total number of items?
Or >25% on the "global psych" percentile compared to other interns in the US?

what if you get >80% on your global neuro percentile compared to other US interns, but like 25% on psych
There was so much psychology theory on that test!

Members don't see this ad.

what if you get >80% on your global neuro percentile compared to other US interns, but like 25% on psych

This has been covered many a times. Overall don't sweat your prite score. Doesn't matter how you did on intern year, just aim to improve each year. Study old prites, at least 25% are word for word repeat questions.

This has been covered many a times. Overall don't sweat your prite score. Doesn't matter how you did on intern year, just aim to improve each year. Study old prites, at least 25% are word for word repeat questions.

yeah but ballpark?
I tried to do a good search on a consensus...
Guess I just don't understand why I did soo much better in neuro.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ballpark- you are an intern so no one cares how you did. They won't force you to become a neurologist based on your score. Don't worry. :)

Just continue to improve. Some programs prefer residents to achieve certain percentiles starting in PGY-2.

What I encourage my residents to focus on is the cohort percentile score since this allows them to compare their performance to other trainees at their level. (Overall percentile is not that useful since it compares people across different training levels). Given that the exam is taken in October and interns have not been in training that long, I consider intern performance to mainly be a reflection of test taking skills and what one was taught/learned during medical school. Because it reflects training from medical school most of us do not focus on intern results that much.

I tried to do a good search on a consensus...
Guess I just don't understand why I did soo much better in neuro.
Clement- To be honest, bud, who gives a $hit?

I opened mine just today, telling myself I didn't care about the results (something our administration in residency reinforced repeatedly both before, during, and after the exam), but was mighty chuffed when I noticed I did really well on many of the categories.

"11 out of 12? Not bad, NDY! 10/12? Nicely done, NDY! 3/12? Well, that's okay..." Then I noticed that this was actually ranking me against co-interns at my program. I had to laugh.

When you take PRITE after only 3 or 4 months in a psychiatry residency, it's largely a reflection on three things:
  1. What rotations had you done in 4th year? Did you take the advice of others and focus on non-psych/neuro activities or indulge in your field?
  2. What rotations did you have in your first 3-4 months of internship? Did you have neuro under your belt by time of exam (might be why you killed or died in that category)?
  3. Had you started Step III preparation by time of exam?
PRITE may matter later on and may be more reflective of knowledge then, but right now, there's an element of chance.

And to more senior posters, I was top in my intern cadre for Misc Psych, so I'm considering fellowship. Any recommendations as to the best Misc Psych fellowships near large bodies of water, please PM.

Don't sweat it, Clement. You're all good.

I'm wondering how much money the people running the PRITE exam are paid given how terrible it is. I realize that it's not easy to make a good exam. If this thing was barely funded, I could understand why it's so bad. If it got a heck of a lot of money, I'd think it'd be infuriating.

Due to the skewed medical culture of placing all-importance on multiple choice exams that are hours long while ignoring or downplaying other important aspects of clinical practice, every resident thinks this exam is very important. It's not, and it doesn't deserve the level of fear it typically instills in PGY-1s, unless your specific program, outside the recommendations of even the PRITE, somehow used it to gauge residents in a manner that relevantly affected them.

A bad PRITE score is only of concern IMHO in 3rd year or higher, and even then, it shouldn't be the gold-standard. It could be a signal that you may need to study harder for the board exam, but does not IMHO accurately reflect the style of real written board exam, and that's the real proof-in-the-pudding. As I've written before, study psychiatry to pass the board exam, study it to be a better psychiatrist, and consider the PRITE to be one of those poorly written test books you likely had in medschool that after going through it, you realize it was a waste of time because the questions were so poorly done, and likely written by some non-academic doctor who never took the time to actually try to emulate the real exam, who pulled out zebra-questions that were of the variety you'd pretty much never see in clinical practice nor even see on the board exam, that made you lose sleep, then after you took the real exam you realized this test book was a POS that really didn't help you and just stressed you out, and then you get angry desire to burn it, but then in the process of lighting the match you start feeling like a Nazi so you stop............

Last edited:
I'm wondering how much money the people running the PRITE exam are paid given how terrible it is. I realize that it's not easy to make a good exam. If this thing was barely funded, I could understand why it's so bad. If it got a heck of a lot of money, I'd think it'd be infuriating.

Due to the skewed medical culture of placing all-importance on multiple choice exams that are hours long while ignoring or downplaying other important aspects of clinical practice, every resident thinks this exam is very important. It's not, and it doesn't deserve the level of fear it typically instills in PGY-1s, unless your specific program, outside the recommendations of even the PRITE, somehow used it to gauge residents in a manner that relevantly affected them.

A bad PRITE score is only of concern IMHO in 3rd year or higher, and even then, it shouldn't be the gold-standard. It could be a signal that you may need to study harder for the board exam, but does not IMHO accurately reflect the style of real written board exam, and that's the real proof-in-the-pudding. As I've written before, study psychiatry to pass the board exam, study it to be a better psychiatrist, and consider the PRITE to be one of those poorly written test books you likely had in medschool that after going through it, you realize it was a waste of time because the questions were so poorly done, and likely written by some non-academic doctor who never took the time to actually try to emulate the real exam, who pulled out zebra-questions that were of the variety you'd pretty much never see in clinical practice nor even see on the board exam, that made you lose sleep, then after you took the real exam you realized this test book was a POS that really didn't help you and just stressed you out, and then you get angry desire to burn it, but then in the process of lighting the match you start feeling like a Nazi so you stop............

No idea how much the people are paid there. I'm stuck (programs are required to annually test residents) paying $150 for each resident to take the test. My impression is that in the old days the test was a better reflection of the written boards. As the written boards have evolved, the two tests have diverged more.

I'm going to start my own club called Prite Club. First rule of Prite Club, you do not talk about the Prite. Second rule of Prite Club, YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE PRITE.

Last edited:
$150 a resident?

If someone knows the number of residents in the country, that would certainly give a gauge of how much money is put into this POS. Again, I will prevent myself from going full-ballistic against the authors of the test because maybe they barely get anything and I'm not certain.

I hate saying this, but I sometimes get the idea that if a psychologist did these questions, they'd be a heck of a lot better because psychologists in general get better training in statistics, reliability and validity, and could then put the questions under better statistical scrutiny than they're likely getting from the current PRITE authors.

Sorry Fonzie, maybe I can't get into PRITE club!

I don't think the PRITE question writers get paid anything at all. Which might be part of the problem. And if I remember right, it's made up of a committee from the American College of Psychiatrists, some % of which are residents themselves. Which also could be part of the problem.

Though have to admit, having just taken the boards this year, question writers that're older psychiatrists seem equally out of touch (I remember 1 q where the correct answer was to hospitalize someone because they felt anxious over the anniversary of their separation and took a couple extra ativan).