Pritzker LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone here knows what Pritzker's policy is on LOR's. They give two options, the committee letter or three faculty members. I also wanted to submit a letter from my volunteer work and a physician I did some extensive shadowing with; however, they make it sound like they only want these 3 faculty letters. I called Pritzker and the voicemail message told me to email. I figured I would get a quicker response from the people here.

Members don't see this ad.

i just sent 3, all professors. might as well ask them though.

i remember reading on northwestern's site once that if you send them more than 3 letters they will only look at the first 3. not saying uchicago's policy is the same but there are schools like this out there.

modelslashactor said:
i just sent 3, all professors. might as well ask them though.

i remember reading on northwestern's site once that if you send them more than 3 letters they will only look at the first 3. not saying uchicago's policy is the same but there are schools like this out there.

Well, that is just fantastic. I am applying to Northwestern as well. I guess they don't give a sh-- about my volunteer or shadowing activities either. The worst part is the doc I shadowed, who wrote a LOR for me, did his fellowship at U of C and worked as an attending at Northwestern for about 8 years. So much for politics. On a side note, is there any special story behind that avatar???

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah that does kind of suck, i would email u of c just to check because that is a pretty good in. i checked NU's site, though, and it looks like their policy is still the same: http://www.medschool.northwestern.edu/admissions/md/process/applying.html

i'll bet you can work this guy into your application somewhere, additional info on the pritzker app is one idea. i havent seen NU's secondary but it's long as hell so there's probably somewhere you could plug on there too.

and behold, the mystery of the avatar: http://timetraveler.ytmnd.com

Another question. I have 3 letters from professors, but only one is a science prof. However, they are being sent in a packet by a letter service through my university. So will that work as under the "letter packet" category ("if a college or university will submit a packet of letters on your behalf") so I can avoid the "multiple letter" category which specifies two science profs? It *technically* works under their specifications, but I feel like it's kind of bending their rules a bit, as I have no premedical committee. What do you all think? I don't really want to call in case they say no, because I think if they got them they'd let it slide (they're all really good recs, it's just that I haven't gotten into most of my upper division science classes yet so the profs I've really gotten to know have been profs of other subjects- my minor, a study abroad- with my university- prof).

DancerDoc said:
Another question. I have 3 letters from professors, but only one is a science prof. However, they are being sent in a packet by a letter service through my university. So will that work as under the "letter packet" category ("if a college or university will submit a packet of letters on your behalf") so I can avoid the "multiple letter" category which specifies two science profs? It *technically* works under their specifications, but I feel like it's kind of bending their rules a bit, as I have no premedical committee. What do you all think? I don't really want to call in case they say no, because I think if they got them they'd let it slide (they're all really good recs, it's just that I haven't gotten into most of my upper division science classes yet so the profs I've really gotten to know have been profs of other subjects- my minor, a study abroad- with my university- prof).

sending by a letter service is not the same as a premed committee. my school doesn't have a committee either but offers a letter service. however, the letter service doesn't write a letter like the comittee should, which summarizes everything. thats why i plan on getting 2 science + 1 nonscience just to make sure

advice needed please...my school has no committee and no collection service. i am using interfolio. so which category do i fall under (these are the 3 i see most often)
1) committee
2) school's letter service (asks for school name)
3) individual letters (asks for prof's names)

so, which am i (prolly not 1, i know) but what about the other two???? please help me :oops:

spospo said:
advice needed please...my school has no committee and no collection service. i am using interfolio. so which category do i fall under (these are the 3 i see most often)
1) committee
2) school's letter service (asks for school name)
3) individual letters (asks for prof's names)

so, which am i (prolly not 1, i know) but what about the other two???? please help me :oops:

i think interfolio sends it in a package of letters to the schools you designate, like any letter service. they're not gonna send the letters individually.

doublehh03 said:
sending by a letter service is not the same as a premed committee. my school doesn't have a committee either but offers a letter service. however, the letter service doesn't write a letter like the comittee should, which summarizes everything. thats why i plan on getting 2 science + 1 nonscience just to make sure

Okay, I don't think you quite understand what I meant. Here is what the app says:

Premedical Advisor or Letter Packet. Choose this option if your college is going to submit a premedical committee letter on your behalf, or if your premedical advisor will submit a letter on your behalf, or if your premedical advisor will submit a letter accompanied by a collection of letters by faculty and others on your behalf, or if a college or university will submit a packet of letters on your behalf.

Multiple Letters. Choose this option if you are having three faculty members submit separate letters on your behalf. If you choose this option, at least two letters should be from science faculty who have had reasonably close contact with you. It is not helpful to have letters from instructors of large classes where little more than the final grade information is provided. Faculty members with whom you worked in smaller, upper-level courses often are better able to provide you with helpful letters of evaluation.

So, I'm trying to avoid having to have two letters of rec from a science prof. Can I tweak mine to fit under the first category which doesn't specify? It *is* a letter service from my university. However, the letters in the packet will be from seperate professors. If I send it with one science prof will they disregard it? They're really good recs.

DancerDoc said:
Okay, I don't think you quite understand what I meant. Here is what the app says:

Premedical Advisor or Letter Packet. Choose this option if your college is going to submit a premedical committee letter on your behalf, or if your premedical advisor will submit a letter on your behalf, or if your premedical advisor will submit a letter accompanied by a collection of letters by faculty and others on your behalf, or if a college or university will submit a packet of letters on your behalf.

Multiple Letters. Choose this option if you are having three faculty members submit separate letters on your behalf. If you choose this option, at least two letters should be from science faculty who have had reasonably close contact with you. It is not helpful to have letters from instructors of large classes where little more than the final grade information is provided. Faculty members with whom you worked in smaller, upper-level courses often are better able to provide you with helpful letters of evaluation.

So, I'm trying to avoid having to have two letters of rec from a science prof. Can I tweak mine to fit under the first category which doesn't specify? It *is* a letter service from my university. However, the letters in the packet will be from seperate professors. If I send it with one science prof will they disregard it? They're really good recs.

I think the only way you will find out the answer to this question is to call/email the school, just like I will have to do about my additional letters to Pritzker. If I had to guess I would say that they will not "let this slide" just b/c you send it in without them telling you "no you can't do this". They will also be unlikely to appreciate the fact that you tried to pull one over on them. Moreover, most medical schools are going to require AT LEAST TWO letters from science professors so this is going to be a problem for you at many schools. If you are applying now you have likely taken physics, gen-chem, bio, and orgo, so schools will probably wonder why you can't get 2 letters. They will assume that you are "trying to avoid it" which may raise a red flag, regardless of whether or not the letters you have sent are "really good recs". Another problem that you will run into is that you can have this packet sent and the schools website will say "received". You will sit around thinking you are good to go waiting for the complete sign to pop up and it never will. By the time you realize something is up, you'll call, have them tell you that you haven't met their requirements, then have to go track down someone to write the LOR and get it sent and wait wait wait again. (This happened to me last year and when I finally called the school they said "Oh I see you have a Master's degree, so the requirements are different for you. I will note it and mark it complete. :mad: ) I'd get that science letter like yesterday if I were you. It'd be one thing if you were adding extra non-science letters but not meeting the requirement won't go unnoticed. Afterall, no one can speak better for your ability to perform in med-school than professors who have observed your academic abilities in science courses. I'm no adcom member, nor am I trying to rain on your parade, but I just don't think this they will let this slide.

breck said:
I think the only way you will find out the answer to this question is to call/email the school, just like I will have to do about my additional letters to Pritzker. If I had to guess I would say that they will not "let this slide" just b/c you send it in without them telling you "no you can't do this". They will also be unlikely to appreciate the fact that you tried to pull one over on them. Moreover, most medical schools are going to require AT LEAST TWO letters from science professors so this is going to be a problem for you at many schools. If you are applying now you have likely taken physics, gen-chem, bio, and orgo, so schools will probably wonder why you can't get 2 letters. They will assume that you are "trying to avoid it" which may raise a red flag, regardless of whether or not the letters you have sent are "really good recs". Another problem that you will run into is that you can have this packet sent and the schools website will say "received". You will sit around thinking you are good to go waiting for the complete sign to pop up and it never will. By the time you realize something is up, you'll call, have them tell you that you haven't met their requirements, then have to go track down someone to write the LOR and get it sent and wait wait wait again. (This happened to me last year and when I finally called the school they said "Oh I see you have a Master's degree, so the requirements are different for you. I will note it and mark it complete. :mad: ) I'd get that science letter like yesterday if I were you. It'd be one thing if you were adding extra non-science letters but not meeting the requirement won't go unnoticed. Afterall, no one can speak better for your ability to perform in med-school than professors who have observed your academic abilities in science courses. I'm no adcom member, nor am I trying to rain on your parade, but I just don't think this they will let this slide.

Thanks, I guess I'll call them. And yeah, I know I should have 2 science recs. I did take all those classes and did really well, but I never got to know the prof in the big lecture classes. I mean, I 4.0'd the physics series but all my prof could write in a letter was that! He held group office hours to go over homework- which I didn't have a problem with- and I just didn't make the effort to suck up to him otherwise to get a rec. My problem is just that my schedule has made me put all my upper level science classes (well biochem was upper level, but a several hundred person lecture, with office hours even held in a lecture hall) in my senior year, which is too late for apps! The one upper level class I took, I ended up researching with the prof and he's writing me my one sci letter! I tried to weed out all the schools that need two science reqs, but I guess I must have missed Pritzer, but I'll just call them. My #1 choice (and I'd do EDP if they had it) only needs one science rec!

modelslashactor said:
yeah that does kind of suck, i would email u of c just to check because that is a pretty good in. i checked NU's site, though, and it looks like their policy is still the same: http://www.medschool.northwestern.edu/admissions/md/process/applying.html

i'll bet you can work this guy into your application somewhere, additional info on the pritzker app is one idea. i havent seen NU's secondary but it's long as hell so there's probably somewhere you could plug on there too.

and behold, the mystery of the avatar: http://timetraveler.ytmnd.com

The suspense is over. Now I don't have to be afraid to say that that picture just plain hurts to look at. I wish I could find something so discretely offensive. It's great ;)