Pritzker vs. Upitt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RonBurgundy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you pick/why?

I was also wondering, which school would allow me to have an easier time matching in general surgery or orthopedic surgery?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You'll do fine at either. Pitt has a particularly impressive ortho program. Don't know about Chicago's. Just pick based on which school you liked better.

I would Definitely say University of Chicago. Its ranked way higher and is more recognized. But if you hate research beware of U of C, its Med program is very research based.
Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats the problem, I liked them both equally.

Is there anything specific pro/con that would help me decide otherwise? Especially if I plan to go into surgery

Thankyou

Ron,

They are both excellent schools, and you can't go wrong by picking either one of them as far as your education is concerned. For now, just chill out for a few months, fill out your FAFSA in Jan. and get your fin aid packages, go to your second looks, and see if one school emerges as a clear winner based on cost and your gut feeling. If they're pretty much equal in those ways, then pick based on which city you like best or which one is closer to your family and other support network.

MD2b20004 said:
I would Definitely say University of Chicago. Its ranked way higher and is more recognized. But if you hate research beware of U of C, its Med program is very research based.
Mike

Pitt is ranked higher than Chicago. Last year I think it was Pitt (15) and Chicago (22) or something like that.

Pitt. Oh my God, seriously? Pitt. Go to Pitt.

Do not go to University of Hyde Park at Chicago.

MD2b20004 said:
Mike

yeah, where did you get your rankings? 22 is waaaaay higher than 15...

gcomplex7 said:
LMAO. Go pitt.

Go to UChicago. Chicago is a nicer city than Pittsburgh and Pass/Fail will make your life 1000x less stressful...This doesn't hurt applicants from UChicago because it has a great reputation in the medical community (this comes from my boss who is a director for a very competitive residency program).

I was impressed with the Pitt students I met on a subI at the children's hospital. You'll definitely be well educated and supposedly they have great board scores (230 class average). Plus they were nice guys, I didn't see any gunner tendencies.

That said, if you dislike the city you're better off in Chicago. I know it's easier said than done to go where you'll be happiest (I'm already mulling over my ROL for residency) but that's the bottom line.

(Funny thing is I have this exact same decision to make after visiting Chicago for peds, as both programs are liable to be at the top of my list.)

Bfriccia1 said:
Go to UChicago. Chicago is a nicer city than Pittsburgh and Pass/Fail will make your life 1000x less stressful...This doesn't hurt applicants from UChicago because it has a great reputation in the medical community (this comes from my boss who is a director for a very competitive residency program).

Life is pretty unstressful here at Pitt regardless of having honors/pass/fail. The people who want honors go for it; most of the class doesn't care and is happy with their passing grades -- and everyone does very well without competing with each other or being cutthroat.

About the cities, that's a personal decision. We have plenty to do here and are never lacking for activities. Given that no matter where you go you'll have limited time for play, the city you're in doesn't matter as much as being good friends with your classmates and having fun places to go with them.