Private and Public opt schools- the main difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Framecontrol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am stuck here wondering more about the difference between public opt schools and private ones.

Does anyone know how the difference effects us?

I really want to attend SCCO but it is 25,000 per year which is a **** load of money.

Honestly i rather just go with my gut, and spend an extra 10,000 a year so I can live in a place I want and go to the school i want. Yea its way more loans but I dont want to be stuck somewhere else..
Is that a reasonably smart decision??

Members don't see this ad.

It's resonably smart only if you've done research and looked for fact, not total gut feeling. Gut feeling is good.. but even some of it is should be supported by reason. Maybe it'll be helpful if you did a pros and cons list (why do you want to go to SCCO, why not? Compare it to another school you are considering) You don't want any regrets. :)

And the difference b/w public opt schools and private ones.. it's a money issue, really. Idk if this is true for opt school, but don't private schools have more money in general/get funded more? It's also kind of more expensive to go to a private school. Please don't quote me on this, though! :D Good luck and let us know what you decide!

It's resonably smart only if you've done research and looked for fact, not total gut feeling. Gut feeling is good.. but even some of it is should be supported by reason. Maybe it'll be helpful if you did a pros and cons list (why do you want to go to SCCO, why not? Compare it to another school you are considering) You don't want any regrets. :)

And the difference b/w public opt schools and private ones.. it's a money issue, really. Idk if this is true for opt school, but don't private schools have more money in general/get funded more? It's also kind of more expensive to go to a private school. Please don't quote me on this, though! :D Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Private vs. public.... it doesn't matter what the school is, both should have about the same finances. The difference is where their money comes from. Private schools, they get their money from you. Public schools get it from the state and you. In the end, for the school, it should be a wash. However, it can make a big difference for the student!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I've noticed, the private schools usually had nicer facilities than the public schools, but quality education can be found in either type.

Between private vs state, you also want to consider which one might help out the most for your network after graduation. Perhaps going to school in the location you want to build up contacts in is worth the extra tuition.

I think it's still important to feel enthusiastic about your school, even if it costs more. If you have the fortune of choosing a school to go to, consider which aspects you value the most.

My experience with public and private schools is this and maybe some of you have a different experience so hopefully this won't offend anyone. In a public school some teachers take advantage of the fact that they are tenured and so they basically can do whatever they want, which can include keeping the same teaching technique they began with.

Private school teachers are more likely to keep up-to-date with everything because they have to in order to keep their job.

Now I'm not saying that all public school teachers are bad because I don't think they all are, but they definitely are protected more than private school teachers.

So I say go to the school that makes you happy even if it's more expensive.