Private cheaper than State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothBlaster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ever the case that a private school will cheaper than your state school (including room and board for both)? How is it possible?
For example, I was considering Upenn with the deans scholarship vs a state school (buffalo), but Upenn would still be more expensive by about $10,000.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it ever the case that a private school will cheaper than your state school (including room and board for both)? How is it possible?
For example, I was considering Upenn with the deans scholarship vs a state school (buffalo), but Upenn would still be more expensive by about $10,000.

The example you gave shows that private school is more expensive regardless of the dean's scholarship..... I doubt that any private school will be cheaper than any state school. I'm not sure which school has the highest tuition as a state school, but I think it's unlikely.

UPenn with deans is cheaper than either UC (even for in-staters), I think.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you were choosing between UPenn w/deans vs Buffalo, I would have to say that should be a very quick decision. :)

thats not the case for me... but im just curious if its ever the circumstance where a private school will be cheaper than a state school? if so, how so?

The example you gave shows that private school is more expensive regardless of the dean's scholarship..... I doubt that any private school will be cheaper than any state school. I'm not sure which school has the highest tuition as a state school, but I think it's unlikely.

He already answered it.