Private Colleges over Public? (Regarding apps. to Opt. School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ztlundgr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i was just wonering if anyone had any insight regarding whether going to a private college compared to going to a public one has any impact on getting into an Optometry School. I have a 3.6 GPA at my private liberal arts school in Minnesota and believe it to be harder classes compared to my friends who attend public univerisities and such. The reason i post this is basically because O. Chem II is pretty much bending me over right now, and i have a fear that i wont escape with better than a B- (I got a B- in O. chem I also :mad:) I know Organic is hard whereever you go but i cant get the idea out of my head that it would be an easier class if i went across town to the U. Thanks!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi i was just wonering if anyone had any insight regarding whether going to a private college compared to going to a public one has any impact on getting into an Optometry School. I have a 3.6 GPA at my private liberal arts school in Minnesota and believe it to be harder classes compared to my friends who attend public univerisities and such. The reason i post this is basically because O. Chem II is pretty much bending me over right now, and i have a fear that i wont escape with better than a B- (I got a B- in O. chem I also :mad:) I know Organic is hard whereever you go but i cant get the idea out of my head that it would be an easier class if i went across town to the U. Thanks!:xf:

The short answer is no. Some of the optometry schools ignore the +/- designations. A grade of B anything is good for OChem. As for public vs. private: the schools don't favor one over the other.

Good luck

Well, not only are you likely wrong about thinking you might have done better at a public university (professors, far more than schools, determine how difficult a class is), but no admissions committee would see it your way (and you'd lament "explaining" during an interview, if it comes up, you could have done better had you taken the course at an easier/public school). Colleges of optometry do look at where courses have been completed, but this tends to mean they care if it was taken at a four-year or a community college (and, sometimes, whether your school has a well-respected science program); besides, it would look awful for admissions committees to discriminate against public education, which is much akin to "working-class education."

The short answer is no. Some of the optometry schools ignore the +/- designations. A grade of B anything is good for OChem. As for public vs. private: the schools don't favor one over the other.

Good luck

Which schools ignore plus/minus designations? It seems absurd any would, as it's a legitimate part of the total grade (i.e., it directly translates into the G.P.A.).

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools ignore plus/minus designations? It seems absurd any would, as it's a legitimate part of the total grade (i.e., it directly translates into the G.P.A.).

I believe PUCO does. This info is available on the schools' websites on their pre-requisite worksheets. The +/- designations are absurd anyway. There is virtually no difference between an A- and a B+. Just a few hundredths of a point. I think that's why some institutions ignore it.

I attend the University of Minnesota and have spoken with many of my friends who attend St. Thomas, Hamline, Augsburg, etc. They seem to think they have it easier because of smaller class sizes and more professor availability. I can tell you this: it is a lot more difficult to get my professor's time of day and a lot easier to lose focus in a lecture of 500 students. Although I agree with the other responders that Optometry schools do not favor public or private schools, I am still trying to understand your reasoning behind harder classes at a smaller University. Ultimately I agree with Commando303, the discrepancies between professors - instead of the actual institution - can make or break your grade.

I believe PUCO does. This info is available on the schools' websites on their pre-requisite worksheets. The +/- designations are absurd anyway. There is virtually no difference between an A- and a B+. Just a few hundredths of a point. I think that's why some institutions ignore it.

I would double check on that. When I applied to PUCO I had to put in +/-'s when I filled out my application. And we sometimes get +/-'s depending on the professors here so I don't think they would just ignore them. Could be wrong though so double check.

Don't know why some schools ignore them but if I were them I would. If you school doesn't give +/-'s (like my private UG) but another does (the the public school I took my pre-reqs at) an 82% would be two different grades B=3.0 or B-=2.7. Sure affects the gpa for the same %. I personally hate +/-'s but I guess if you get all +'s it helps you out!

I would double check on that. When I applied to PUCO I had to put in +/-'s when I filled out my application. And we sometimes get +/-'s depending on the professors here so I don't think they would just ignore them. Could be wrong though so double check.

Don't know why some schools ignore them but if I were them I would. If you school doesn't give +/-'s (like my private UG) but another does (the the public school I took my pre-reqs at) an 82% would be two different grades B=3.0 or B-=2.7. Sure affects the gpa for the same %. I personally hate +/-'s but I guess if you get all +'s it helps you out!

My mistake - I lost track as I applied to multiple schools. It was ICO:

http://secure.illinoismentor.org/Ap..._of_Optometry/pdfs/PreOptometryCoursework.pdf

See page 2 of the above pdf

What I've been unable to grasp is the value of the "A+." It's not calculable into the G.P.A., and I doubt many schools — especially in the OptomCAS age — check individual grades on a transcript and think, "Boy, this guy doesn't just get it; he really gets it!" I'm not saying "A+"es are annoying to get; I simply wonder if getting them (rather than "A"s) amounts to any "practical" significance.

Thanks everyone who has replied, its test week before spring break so im having a breakdown and needed to vent( and whine a little bit) im sure uve all been there too!

While schools do not look at what undergraduate institution you go to directly (top 20, private, public, etc), I believe they do take into consideration to an extent, however small it may be. When I interviewed at a few schools, they asked if I wanted to explain my not-so-good Quantitative OAT score and they, as were I, quick to point out my great Math scores from my classes (as well as the SAT/ACT). And they said that because I've been at such a great school, I am most likely well prepared in that subject and they said that would most likely be looked upon favorably by the admissions committee.

Good luck

At least at IU optometry the admissions office has a list of undergraduate schools and their competitiveness.

Many private schools were ranked as more competitive than public. Interesting fact for you all. The top 10 students in my OD class were invited to the Dean's house for supper, yours truly included. Every one of the ten attended a private undergrad. Personally I like private undergrads and public graduate schools. So there you go!:D

At least at IU optometry the admissions office has a list of undergraduate schools and their competitiveness.

Many private schools were ranked as more competitive than public. Interesting fact for you all. The top 10 students in my OD class were invited to the Dean's house for supper, yours truly included. Every one of the ten attended a private undergrad. Personally I like private undergrads and public graduate schools. So there you go!:D

Yeah, nothing like clearing out a bank account and setting up decades-long debt for a Bachelor's degree. Personally, I like when education is affordable for people.