1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Private Donations

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by dreamscometrue, Apr 22, 2007.

1. dreamscometrue

Pre-Pharmacy
    Do schools actually take private donations? I have heard that if you make a big donation to some schools that they will actually accept you. Does anybody know how true this is?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Through television, we often see the shows and movies that depict students getting into an Ivy League school because the parents were connected to the admissions board and/or highest authority through donations and/or prestige. I think that "old boy networks" where the parents get their children into stuff when merit doesn't warrant it do exist to a certain extent. Still, that relationship seems to depend on developed reputation and prestige and not on a one-time donation that directly precedes application.

If you are just a common person and not part of a rich family like the Hiltons and DuPonts, then you probably don't have enough money to buy your way into pharmacy school. $1,000 won't cut it because schools are going to milk you for a lot more. $1,000,000 might do it, but there would be one person on the waitlist who would be pissed if that donation was the deciding factor in you getting into the school.

4. KellyBean

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    If I had $1,000,000 to give away, then I would rather open my own pharmacy school and accept myself in.

5. shaun009

shaun009 Member
    5+ Year Member

lol another awesome way to enter pharmacy school, pay your way in!