Private Equity? Looks good on the surface - Beware

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermMatch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time no post. Now an attending, here in the trenches of private practice -- luckily I started my own clinic, and have the freedom to speak my mind.

I'm glad that people have begun discussing the impact that private equity is having on dermatology, in that other thread about the NYTimes article exposing that the JAAD had pulled an academic article about PE because of objections raised by people with PE ties.

For all of you working to get into dermatology, or who are residents now: Beware private equity.

Educate yourself about all the options out there. Realize that the large salaries and signing bonuses do not come free. The price sometimes is your autonomy, being forced to risk your license to oversee undertrained midlevels (can you imagine treating dermatology patients with the equivalent education of what you have now, as a medical student?), as well as a plethora of other problems.

I am quite active in The Board Certified Dermatologists facebook group, a closed and secret group only for vetted board certified dermatologists in the US and Canada. Through TBCD, I've reconnected with SDN derm mods @N-Surge and reached back out to @asmallchild -- both of whom are in practice now. We have nearly 4000 members, and it is *THE* online group for all bc-dermatologists -- we organize a pharma-free annual conference and provide extensive support for our members. We also have a huge job board on Facebook, called TBCD Career Center, where you can join and browse jobs from independent practices as well as corporate. In fact, the Center was @N-Surge's brainstorm!

If you are a resident, search for TBCD Career Center and ask to be added -- the mods will reach out to you so that you can provide a photo of your resident ID to prove you're a derm resident. Then when you pass the boards, join TBCD! It'll be one of the best decisions you'll ever make -- the first one being going into dermatology.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
How do I join TBCD on facebook?

Been out in practice over 10 yrs but facebook cropped up shortly after my time and never really got into it (found it mostly a waste of time). But group sounds interesting- I just cant find it in the search.

Reactions: 1 users
How do I join TBCD on facebook?

Been out in practice over 10 yrs but facebook cropped up shortly after my time and never really got into it (found it mostly a waste of time). But group sounds interesting- I just cant find it in the search.

I'd be interested in joining as well. I've been in practice for around 6 years and don't spend a lot of time on Facebook but think this group would be worthwhile. If you can let me know how to join it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto, could not find TBCD (found their career forum, but it said I needed to join TBCD first).

Reactions: 1 user
I’m computer illiterate but if you send me a message I can put you in touch with one of the moderators. You will have to verify your identity with her