private industry vs. academic research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randallB

fear the krab
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been asking a lot about research opps over the past few days since I'm shopping for a new job for 1-2 years before going (hopefully) into an MSTP program. What do people think is a better experience to help one get into such programs, private industry research or acadamia, or is it the type of thing where neither will hurt/help an application significantly? PI obviously pays much better, but the chance for publications is much less, whereas acadamia pays terribly but publications may abound. It's tough...I mean, I don't care about the money, but how can I get a sportbike on a tech salary?? Thanks much for all of your input!

Members don't see this ad.

the work i did at merck during the summers of my ugrad made the bulk of my research experience [though i did work at my university during the school year]. i thought most interviewers appreciated the industry perspective especially since many academics spend time interacting with industry these days. it was also clear that i was interested in academics rather than industry as a future career, perhaps as a result of my experience. also, there is a higher level of publication in private industry these days, as many people maintain their publication record in case they want to move back and forth between academics and industry.

i don't think it would matter that much, as long as you don't turn into an assay tech - i imagine there would be more pressure to do so in an industrial setting. before you agree to either, i would find out exactly what your role will be, and how much leeway you will be given.

I did summer research in several different industries, and it only helped my application, as there was more than the standard "I did a PCR, I helped a grad student" kind of stuff - industry was much more goal oriented and had better facilities, which allowed for a rather impressive amount of work in a short time... In several of my interviews the folks were genuinly interested in the details of my work - flourescent ballast design (analog electronics) and pharmaceutical formulation (pills and tablets), because they were different topics, no because I made some amazing advance over the summer...

That having been said, I did then do academic work, which I consider practically necessary to go into an MSTP - both to get yourself familiair with your future, and to let the adcoms know you can work in such an environment.

I would pick based on the work and the projects for short term, the relationships and environment for long term, and the money helps if you need it to live on, of course...

Members don't see this ad :)
randallB said:
What do people think is a better experience to help one get into such programs, private industry research or acadamia, or is it the type of thing where neither will hurt/help an application significantly?

Ever see where Habari ended up getting accepted? I certainly don't think industry research is going to hurt. Just don't end up becoming the Western Blot Boy or something similar, and actually be an active role in some project, and you'll be set! Of course, the same thing goes for academics as the same thing can happen...

Neuronix said:
don't end up becoming the Western Blot Boy or something similar, .....

nah, nowadays, they are trying to make everything automated. I just read an article on the scientist that many big name pharm companies (ex: AstraZenaca) are developing automated cell culture. One day, all of us will be replaced by robots...... :eek:

but seriously, Neuronix is right. Don't be a WB guy or PCR girl.