Private Label Disposable Contact Lenses

Started by foo
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

foo

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My Optometrist recently changed my disposable contact lens prescription (at my last visit) from a brand name (that I could buy anywhere) to a private label brand (that only his office can sell me).

One day I could shop around and buy my disposable lenses at the lowest available cost. Next day I can only buy them from the OD's office...

I found out when I tried to get my prescription phoned in to a cheaper place. (Obviously I did not know that I had "been fitted" with a private labeled lens, or the economic ramifications).

Is this unethical? Am I being nickel and dimed? I've learned my lesson (I get it).

Now I would like to help my OD learn an important lesson too - not to piss off patients (I spent over $500 in services by the way, I WAS a good "customer") so I don't appreciate feeling used...

Besides complaining to the OD (and I will), who else may I share my complaint with? Like I said, I am very quick learner, and I think he is too - I would like to expedite his education.

By the way I hope no professional would pull this type of OBVIOUS CRASS CRAP (I would feel equally pissed if an MD had done this and would react exactly the same way).

Caveat Emptor - yeah, I get it...
 
foo said:
My Optometrist recently changed my disposable contact lens prescription (at my last visit) from a brand name (that I could buy anywhere) to a private label brand (that only his office can sell me).

One day I could shop around and buy my disposable lenses at the lowest available cost. Next day I can only buy them from the OD's office...

I found out when I tried to get my prescription phoned in to a cheaper place. (Obviously I did not know that I had "been fitted" with a private labeled lens, or the economic ramifications).

Is this unethical? Am I being nickel and dimed? I've learned my lesson (I get it).

Now I would like to help my OD learn an important lesson too - not to piss off patients (I spent over $500 in services by the way, I WAS a good "customer") so I don't appreciate feeling used...

Besides complaining to the OD (and I will), who else may I share my complaint with? Like I said, I am very quick learner, and I think he is too - I would like to expedite his education.

By the way I hope no professional would pull this type of OBVIOUS CRASS CRAP (I would feel equally pissed if an MD had done this and would react exactly the same way).

Caveat Emptor - yeah, I get it...

The federal fairness to contact lens consumer act requires that if a private label lens is prescribed, that the prescription also include the brand name of the lens as well, so I'm not sure why there is difficulty here. Even if the brand name was left off the prescription, you should still be able to easily find out what the brand name is.

What lens had you been wearing?

What lens did s/he switch you into?

Jenny