Private loans and summer classes...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkangel77

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just have a quick question about private loans :) I will be reapplying to some physical therapy programs for next cycle, and part of that involves taking a few prerequisites over the summer. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to pay for those classes and my application fees, and my parents won't be helping me out any. My credit is not bad, and I won't be applying with a cosigner. So I was thinking about taking out a private loan to help pay for that.

I did a search on these forums, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. So, what kind of loan companies would you all recommend for my situation?

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you choose not to go with your schools financial aid, then I would suggest getting a small signature loan from a bank or credit union. I'm not sure which would have a better rate/payment options, but you'd have to look into it to see.

Jenny,

Thanks, do you know what kind of banks or credit unions offer small signature loans? I'm not currently enrolled at a school at the moment, and I will be taking my courses at a school near where I live. I'll definitely look into what kind of financial aid can be offered, but I have a feeling I'll need to take out a loan for housing, and maybe a little more to cover my application fees.

As always, any additional input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Jenny,

Thanks, do you know what kind of banks or credit unions offer small signature loans? I'm not currently enrolled at a school at the moment, and I will be taking my courses at a school near where I live. I'll definitely look into what kind of financial aid can be offered, but I have a feeling I'll need to take out a loan for housing, and maybe a little more to cover my application fees.

As always, any additional input is appreciated!

I'm pretty sure any credit union will do as long as your debt/income ratio isn't too out of hand. My so took out a small sig loan for about 10,000 and he had it paid off right away since he got a really good rate ( not sure what it was). As far as I know he was pretty satisfied with it. He went through our local credit union ( New Mexico Educators Federal CU).

If the FA at your school won't be enough to cover every thing, then yeah I would suggest going with a sig loan. I think they're easier to process than one through your school anyway. I remember when I was about to take out a small loan through the FA at my school, and I was kinda scared, LOL!!

It just felt different and I didn't really know what to expect ( even though I read all the fine print!)

I hope I was helpful to you.:luck:

Thanks for your help!

I actually looked through a few local credit unions in my area, but I wasn't able to get approved for a loan, at least not yet :(

Currently I don't own a house or car, and with my job I only make about $12k a year. I've also only been at my current job for a little less than a year...

Any other suggestions at this point? My summer classes will cost about $5000 and application fees, around $1000, so I'm looking for a loan of about $6000-$7000.

This is starting to get quite frustrating, as the whole point of this year was to work on improving my applications, but without money obviously I won't be able to to do that :p