Private Loans for SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catnip7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been accepted to St. George's in Grenada for this August. I'm on their waiting list for their Grenada campus and have tentatively accepted a spot in their UK program.

With the UK program, you do your first year in the UK, 2nd year in Grenada and two years back here in the US.

The problem is that the UK year is not covered by any sort of US federal aid whatsoever so we have to take out a private loan. I'm really not thrilled about this.

My credit's not that great and I applied today with my Dad who has near-perfect credit and we got declined from Citibank because his "debt-to-income ratio" was "too high." WHY would I be borrowing this money in the first place if I had it??

I was wondering if some of you were having similar difficulties in getting private loans with not-so-great credit (even with a creditworthy cosigner) and if you had any suggestions for me, such as which banks to research and try next that would be great.

I've tried for three years to get into a medical school and SGU was the only school that gave me the time of day. I'm not giving up yet and I'm fighting like hell to get off the waitlist so I can do my two years in Grenada (and use Federal loans) instead of going to the UK. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.