BobLJ99

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2004
Status
  1. Medical Student
For those who have experience with private loans, how difficult is it to get approval? In other words, do you need to have a stellar credit history? My credit history has some blemishes in it, but I have since made amends by cleaning up my past/overdue accounts and re-establishing my credit through diligent, on time credit card payments.

Febrifuge

Grizzled Old Newcomer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 7, 2003
febrifuge.blogspot.com
Status
  1. Non-Student
I'll be able to tell you in a few months. :D

In general, yes, private loans are harder to obtain than government-backed loans. However, there is variation from lender to lender. I too have some blemishes, but my credit score is good. Last year, when I was initially accepted to my postbac, I was rejected by a tough lender I chose specifically to get a sense of where things stand -- but they said with a co-signor, I'd be all set. I deferred my start til this year, and in the meantime I've cleaned up the report quite a bit. So we shall see.

My school was able to recommend a lender they work with frequently, who has an enlightened attitude about the subject. You should check with your school's FA office.

Good luck!

reddirtgirl

15+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
www.radioparadise.com
Status
My situation: A postbac/G'town SMP is the only hope for me to try to get into med school. My credit is shot and cosigners are pretty much out of the question. Tuition is $26,000, federal loans only go up to $18,500. Short of prostitution, is there a way through?

Any comments? additional advice? Can anyone confirm the last part of this message (ie were you able to get private loans despite bad credit for your post bac/ masters??)

I am pasting the following in from the Georgetown SMP yahoo listserve. It may help someone out there??
-------------------
Message 1537 of 2046
Date: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:05 am
Subject: Financial Aid

Hey all,

I got the $18,500 in Stafford loans and all, but how do we go about getting the rest of the loan money needed for tuition and living? I want to apply so I get $$ ASAP, but I want to go to the right place.
>
> I figure a lot of people are trying to get the extra loans so you
>
> might have some advice.

> Thanks,

> V.
----------------------------------
Message 1540 of 2046
Date: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:19 am
> Subject: Re: [physios] Financial Aid

> Private loans is the answer.
> check out fanniemae.com or accessgroup.com
> fill out the form, figure out how much you need and
> pray youve got good credit. otherwise find a
> cosigner.
---------------------------------
Message 2047 of 2048
Date: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:26 am
Subject: Re: Financial Aid

Hi All-

What do you do if you cannont get a cosigner and have bad credit?
Is there any alternative to giving up?

Thanks in advance.
----------------------------
Message 2048 of 2048

Date: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:35 am
Subject: Re: [physios] Re: Financial Aid

I think every student is entitled to the 18,500 in Stafford Federal loans (this includes subsidized and unsubsidized). If you don't have a co-signer and you have bad credit, you may have a rough time getting private loans. However, I'm sure you can find a bank to loan you the money. They're usually more lenient when it comes to school loans. You may get a lot of extra surcharges though and a higher interest rate. When you get to Georgetown University, you will get a financial aid assistant who will help you through this process.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads