Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey gang,
I'm looking seriously at a program - BIDMC - who's main downside seems to be the presence of private patients. I've only had one brief experience with private patients, back on my very first rotation on pediatrics that I hardly remember. I'm hoping some of the student and residents who have cared for private patients could voice their varied opinions on how private patients are good, bad, or ugly. How are rounds organized when you have a mix of private and non-private patients? Are teaching rounds less useful since the teaching attending may not know some of your patients? Do you think privates patients interfere with learning significantly? Do you find it annoying to track down private attendings? Are private attends OK to work with? Does a "geographic admitting" structure like what BID uses where all your patients are on one ward eliminate all or most of the hassle with private patients? Does anybody like having private patients, perhaps because you are not stuck with a single attending?
Thanks,
Adcadet
I'm looking seriously at a program - BIDMC - who's main downside seems to be the presence of private patients. I've only had one brief experience with private patients, back on my very first rotation on pediatrics that I hardly remember. I'm hoping some of the student and residents who have cared for private patients could voice their varied opinions on how private patients are good, bad, or ugly. How are rounds organized when you have a mix of private and non-private patients? Are teaching rounds less useful since the teaching attending may not know some of your patients? Do you think privates patients interfere with learning significantly? Do you find it annoying to track down private attendings? Are private attends OK to work with? Does a "geographic admitting" structure like what BID uses where all your patients are on one ward eliminate all or most of the hassle with private patients? Does anybody like having private patients, perhaps because you are not stuck with a single attending?
Thanks,
Adcadet