Private Practice after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychobabbling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in moving to a larger city after residency and (hopefully) working within a private practice group with upward mobility (i.e., partnership). I've found a few places where we're aiming to move to thus far. I was wondering if those with more experience in this area could help me out in the following domains:

1) Resume. Any tips, things I should put, things I shouldn't put, etc. (i.e., probably not a good idea to list 100 publications...not that I have any in psych lol, but I know that much). What's the best way to structure my resume for this specific area?

2) Things to look out for pre/during/post interview. I've had attendings tell me to find out about who covers if you're on vacation, what's their controlled substance policy, who handles prior auths, rescheduling, how many clinic sites would I have to work at (and if more than one, would I have to move between them in the same day, etc).

I'm sure I have more questions in my head somewhere. Been sick all weekend. I almost forgot where I was going this morning lol. Any other tips/advice in general would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Good start, I think also, don't hang your hat on the first job you come across and go on as many different interviews as you can .... nice little vacations at their expense to see different parts of the country and learn about the different personality dynamics. And don't be afraid to speak your mind, you want to enter into a relationship which values open and direct communication - you're not a beast of burden any longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just perusing Drudge Report
animated-siren-gif-animated-siren-gif-animated-siren-gif-drudge-report.gif

BREAKING: PSYCH JOB MARKET GOOD! HILLARY BAD!

I'm interested in moving to a larger city after residency and (hopefully) working within a private practice group with upward mobility (i.e., partnership). I've found a few places where we're aiming to move to thus far. I was wondering if those with more experience in this area could help me out in the following domains:

1) Resume. Any tips, things I should put, things I shouldn't put, etc. (i.e., probably not a good idea to list 100 publications...not that I have any in psych lol, but I know that much). What's the best way to structure my resume for this specific area?

2) Things to look out for pre/during/post interview. I've had attendings tell me to find out about who covers if you're on vacation, what's their controlled substance policy, who handles prior auths, rescheduling, how many clinic sites would I have to work at (and if more than one, would I have to move between them in the same day, etc).

I'm sure I have more questions in my head somewhere. Been sick all weekend. I almost forgot where I was going this morning lol. Any other tips/advice in general would be greatly appreciated!

if you want to have an ownership stake(or profit sharing or whatever you want to call it) in a psychiatry practice, the best way to do it is to just start your own practice. Then compete for contracts. and slowly add therapists and psych nps and such over time.

You insurance agreement is as good or as bad as you make it. If you accept the first offer…well…that is bad business (for you). For the major insurance carrier(s) in your area, it'd be worth calling everyone they list on their "in network" directory to find out how many are actually providers taking new patients. Obviously for an FP that doesn't make sense, but I doubt there are a ton of psychiatrists on any given panel. Many panel lists are woefully (and purposefully) out of date, which is why you'll want to call. You can also ask the cash pay cost of an intake and F/U, so you'll have a better idea of the range in your community.

You'll want to learn the in's and out's of each carrier, which is most easily done one carrier at a time.

Reactions: 1 user
if you want to have an ownership stake(or profit sharing or whatever you want to call it) in a psychiatry practice, the best way to do it is to just start your own practice. Then compete for contracts. and slowly add therapists and psych nps and such over time.

Why don't you do this? Then you wont have to grind as hard...

I was just perusing Drudge Report and came across this - the world is your oyster.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150907/us-psychiatrist-shortage-5addbabd7b.html
Psychologist Daniel Abrahamson, who heads the American Psychological Association's state advocacy office, says such fears "are not based on the facts" and cites the lack of problems in the three states that eased restrictions.
--
Really Daniel? No problems in Illinois with psychologists prescribing? How many have been doing this in IL?
The answer is ZERO. Not one has been trained in this in IL.
But way to "base things on facts".

Reactions: 1 users
From the same article:
The Department of Veterans Affairs is among many health providers struggling with a psychiatrist shortage.

Last year, The Associated Press chronicled the story of Nick D'Amico, a troubled Army veteran in Texas who had difficulty finding a VA psychiatrist who could adjust his medication. According to his mother, he was told there would be a six-month wait for a teleconference with a VA psychiatrist in New Mexico; the appointment was still two months away when D'Amico killed himself by driving off a cliff.

Earlier this year, seeking to curb military suicides, Congress enacted a bill offering financial incentives to psychiatrists who agree to work for the VA. Broader bipartisan bills have recently been introduced in each chamber of Congress seeking to address the psychiatrist shortage as part of an overall strengthening of mental health care.
==
Except there is always a "hiring freeze" when you try to apply for these jobs...

Reactions: 2 users
Increase $$$ and the psychiatrists will come.

my VA site is pretty competitive with the market. I could certainly make more farther out in the 'burbs or in a couple private practice environments, but when you calculate my hours worked to my pay, I'm sitting pretty, particularly fresh out of residency.

It's all insanely site-dependent. I'm making a good 20k more than the VA psychiatrists on the other end of town are making. Much like the private and academic world, the quality of your job is really really really dependent on the leadership of your individual department.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
That's awesome for the anesthesiologists. Too bad these boards reap huge $$$ for initial certification and re-certs, and the change will be slow and painful most likely.

I don't know how to encourage this kind of change other than encouraging each of you to contact the APA and board requesting the same considerations as our fellow gas-passers have done. Only through numbers and a voice will this happen.

Did you all actually read the article? The Board still gets the money!
In its test of the program, the anesthesiology board has been sending weekly multiple-choice questions to its members, about half of whom do not have lifetime certification. They can answer at their leisure but must complete 30 per quarter. The passing score has not yet been set. The 10-year cost will be the same as taking the test — $2,100.

IMHO, it's not the testing that's the issue (says the guy who's done for another 10 years, and will probably be too close to retirement to care in 2025) but the PIP and other rigmarole...

I joined NBPAS and encourage the rest to also which gives voice and traction in repealing MOC and the exam requirements. I just posted a congratulation to our gas colleagues where their board suspended all MOC activities and the recert exam in favor for CME and weekly tasks.

I'll be joining NBPAS once I get ABPN board certified, unless they change things in the near future, since at the moment you need to be ABPN certified to join.

Texas I am not.

Any tips in terms of structuring a resume out of residency? Focus more on my outpatient year, clinics/settings worked in? Any plans for moonlighting?