Private Practice and retirement benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texanpsychdoc

Clinical Psychologist & Assistant Professor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure how to phrase this, but specifically, I am looking to hear from those in private practice. I will be transitioning out of my day job to be in PP full time and with that in mind, I will be jumping on my spouse's BCBS health plan, so health insurance isn't a problem for me, however, I'm interested in what retirement options would be ideal. I hear a lot about the solo 401K and the SEP IRA. I know zero about retirement and really have no basis to judge which will be better for me, or if having more than one plan is a better approach. What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

While starting out in PP, the SEP is the way to go. You put up to 25% of your pre-tax earnings into the SEP IRA. This lowers your tax burden for that year. In some states, retirement savings cannot be taken in lawsuits or divorces. Say you make $200k. For the first 4 years, you put $50k into a SEP. At 7% average growth, over 28 years, you’d expect that to be worth ~3.2M without further contributions. Now, you’d pay taxes on that 3.2 million, as you take it out. There is a way to convert a SEP IRA to a Roth IRA, which requires significant cash on hand. It avoids paying taxes on this when you take it out.

You’re probably not eligible for a solo 401k. However the benefit of a solo 401k is that you can contribute as an employee AND as an employer. You can technically contribute 100% of your earning as an employee. But you also have to contribute as an employee. If you employ people, as an employee you’ll have to contribute to their account at the same percentage as you contribute to yours. You’ll pay taxes on everything when you start taking it out.

As you progress, you’ll want to ensure that you’re paying yourself less, while having more business expenses. There’s also irrevocable trusts, multi tier LLCs, and FLPs for that. Maybe you don’t go on vacation using your income. Instead, maybe you happen to go to a conference in resort. Maybe your personal car is a POS, but the car your business leases for >50% business use is really nice. It’s that kinda thing.

Reactions: 6 users
While starting out in PP, the SEP is the way to go. You put up to 25% of your pre-tax earnings into the SEP IRA. This lowers your tax burden for that year. In some states, retirement savings cannot be taken in lawsuits or divorces. Say you make $200k. For the first 4 years, you put $50k into a SEP. At 7% average growth, over 28 years, you’d expect that to be worth ~3.2M without further contributions. Now, you’d pay taxes on that 3.2 million, as you take it out. There is a way to convert a SEP IRA to a Roth IRA, which requires significant cash on hand. It avoids paying taxes on this when you take it out.

You’re probably not eligible for a solo 401k. However the benefit of a solo 401k is that you can contribute as an employee AND as an employer. You can technically contribute 100% of your earning as an employee. But you also have to contribute as an employee. If you employ people, as an employee you’ll have to contribute to their account at the same percentage as you contribute to yours. You’ll pay taxes on everything when you start taking it out.

As you progress, you’ll want to ensure that you’re paying yourself less, while having more business expenses. There’s also irrevocable trusts, multi tier LLCs, and FLPs for that. Maybe you don’t go on vacation using your income. Instead, maybe you happen to go to a conference in resort. Maybe your personal car is a POS, but the car your business leases for >50% business use is really nice. It’s that kinda thing.

This was extremely helpful and insightful. I have a PLLC so I am wondering how I could use that to my advantage. I will need to seek out an advisor on this and have them dumb this down to like a 2nd grade level for me, but I do understand most of what you outline, so I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you're ultimately going to (as PsyDr said) want to try to reasonably do more and more with your business account and less with your personal account. Starting out, SEP is probably the easiest route. Things (again as PsyDr said) become more complicated once you hire employees. Getting a good tax person and a financial advisor (at least to get you set up and starting out) is probably worthwhile, although I believe Vanguard and probably some other places try to make setting up a SEP relatively straightforward.

Also, don't forget about managing payroll and keeping your books; the latter can get to be a headache if you don't keep up on it regularly, exponentially so if you have employees.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, don't forget about managing payroll and keeping your books; the latter can get to be a headache if you don't keep up on it regularly, exponentially so if you have employees.
You could always get your spouse to do this in addition to her full time job. That doesn’t put any strain on a marriage. 😉

You could always get your spouse to do this in addition to her full time job. That doesn’t put any strain on a marriage. 😉

LOL, well my husband wouldn't really want to do that. I hired a company (Heard) to do all my taxes, accounting, etc., so they are pretty good. $200 a month isn't bad.

LOL, well my husband wouldn't really want to do that. I hired a company (Heard) to do all my taxes, accounting, etc., so they are pretty good. $200 a month isn't bad.

For all accounting, bookkeeping, and taxes? Here's hoping that it's just a really good deal, but that seems like an almost too good to be true situation.

Reactions: 1 users
For all accounting, bookkeeping, and taxes? Here's hoping that it's just a really good deal, but that seems like an almost too good to be true situation.

They are a reputable company. They have plans where if you pay monthly, it's $199, or you can pay annually and it basically equates to $169 a month. You should check them out. You do a consultation and they overview how things work. you have a dedicated POC/accountant and team for you. They will go through all of your financial statements dating back to 6 months prior to ensure you are up to date. They will track your income, expenses, etc. and calculate how much you will need to set aside of quarterly and yearly taxes. They also calculate how much you should be paying yourself. They will cut checks if you have a group practice (which I do). They also prepare and file your personal taxes at the end of the year.

They are a reputable company. They have plans where if you pay monthly, it's $199, or you can pay annually and it basically equates to $169 a month. You should check them out. You do a consultation and they overview how things work. you have a dedicated POC/accountant and team for you. They will go through all of your financial statements dating back to 6 months prior to ensure you are up to date. They will track your income, expenses, etc. and calculate how much you will need to set aside of quarterly and yearly taxes. They also calculate how much you should be paying yourself. They will cut checks if you have a group practice (which I do). They also prepare and file your personal taxes at the end of the year.

That looks like an interesting company. Might just save my marriage. 😁
How long have you been using them?

• Haha
That looks like an interesting company. Might just save my marriage. 😁
How long have you been using them?

If it does not, some life advice for the next go round. Find a competent and attractive bookkeeper for your business, then try to wine and dine her in hopes of making her your next wife. Much easier to do it that way than the other way.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users