Private Practice Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0U1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how many people are interested in private practice? As Pre-Audiology student I'm extremely excited about this option! I'm even minoring in entrepreneurship, what professional goals do you plan pursue out of school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually really interested in joining the military as an audiologist, but i'm not sure how difficult it is to do so, or if they'll even be accepting people by the time i get done.

I, too, am interested in pursuing military audiology. I've been told it can be a very successful, rewarding career path.....
I haven't met anyone who's a military audiologist. I know there out there! And I really don't know where to start. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how much private practice audiologists make?

thanks for the interesting article on private practice

Yes, Thank you 0U1988 for sharing the articles. Appreciate the time you've taken to find the info and post for us!

Your quite welcome I'm glad to help. so how many people on here have actually shadowed someone in your particular area of interest in Audiology? I recently watched in on a specialty clinic on Cleft Palate at University of Oklahoma; i must say it was extremely rewarding and very interesting to say the least. I'm pretty excited this summer i get to shadow, my good friend Dr. Larry Englemann at his private clinic. Hopefully ill get a good glimpse into the private practice side of Audiology. As long as were posting articles here's one for a FREE Audiology magazine!!
http://audiology.advanceweb.com/

i have done observation at a private practice. it felt much like going to a regular doctor's appointment.

also i tried once to sign up for advance but wasn't able to as it wouldn't accept my email address as professional or something like that. could have been because my university email address doesn't work so i had to use a personal one.

Your quite welcome I'm glad to help. so how many people on here have actually shadowed someone in your particular area of interest in Audiology? I recently watched in on a specialty clinic on Cleft Palate at University of Oklahoma; i must say it was extremely rewarding and very interesting to say the least. I'm pretty excited this summer i get to shadow, my good friend Dr. Larry Englemann at his private clinic. Hopefully ill get a good glimpse into the private practice side of Audiology. As long as were posting articles here's one for a FREE Audiology magazine!!
http://audiology.advanceweb.com/
I am eager to shadow an audiologist.. is it possible to start as avolunteer in a hospital.. did they really encourage it?

I am eager to shadow an audiologist.. is it possible to start as avolunteer in a hospital.. did they really encourage it?
yes all i did was contact my local universities Audiology program, they were more than happy to let me shadow. I'll i had to do was sign agreement that i wouldn't release any patient information. Private practice shadowing is different story though not as many Doctors were willing, i just got lucky and found a great one eager to show me the ropes.
So your a pre-pharmacy student have you done any shadowing in that particular field?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted to OUHSC; was interviewed by phone and never visited... Any positives about their program? Its very difficult deciding on the next 4yrs. without the funds to visit and meet the faculty. When I read on line they say the graduate living facilities are gated, I know nothing about the surrounding area. The admissions answers my questions expediously by email and they seem very friendly just wish I could get an opinion from a student............. University of Oklahoma is far from home for me would like a heads up before making a decision..

I just got accepted to OUHSC; was interviewed by phone and never visited... Any positives about their program? Its very difficult deciding on the next 4yrs. without the funds to visit and meet the faculty. When I read on line they say the graduate living facilities are gated, I know nothing about the surrounding area. The admissions answers my questions expediously by email and they seem very friendly just wish I could get an opinion from a student............. University of Oklahoma is far from home for me would like a heads up before making a decision..
PROS-
-They just got brand new nice facility
- Friendly atmosphere
- extremely knowledgeable staff with tons of experience in the field
- Nice gated community, plus low cost of living here in Oklahoma
- small class sizes
- lots of specialty clinics
Cons-
- they still seem not to have transitioned well,over from the master degree program, there still is research integrated into there curriculum . It's AuD not PhD!

But other than that i say it's a great school.
On the issue of not transitioning well from masters to AuD; from those i have talked too say most if not all Audiology programs have this problem!! There all still wanting to hold on to the old ways, of having research in there programs. (hints: Capstone Projects) From the many Audiologist i have talked to on this subject they have told me there, only two Colleges whom have taken the clinical model of med schools. Salus University and A.T. Still University, those are two programs I'm shooting for. BUT if you like research this is a moot point. hopes this helps!

PROS-
-They just got brand new nice facility
- Friendly atmosphere
- extremely knowledgeable staff with tons of experience in the field
- Nice gated community, plus low cost of living here in Oklahoma
- small class sizes
- lots of specialty clinics
Cons-
- they still seem not to have transitioned well,over from the master degree program, there still is research integrated into there curriculum . It's AuD not PhD!

But other than that i say it's a great school.
On the issue of not transitioning well from masters to AuD; from those i have talked too say most if not all Audiology programs have this problem!! There all still wanting to hold on to the old ways, of having research in there programs. (hints: Capstone Projects) From the many Audiologist i have talked to on this subject they have told me there, only two Colleges whom have taken the clinical model of med schools. Salus University and A.T. Still University, those are two programs I'm shooting for. BUT if you like research this is a moot point. hopes this helps!
On message above why i think Clinical part of the AuD is so important is that; from the articles i have read there is going to be a huge shortage of Doctors by the year 2020. That's where Audiologist will come in as the "PRIMARY" health care givers for Hearing; i read some articles who even said prescription writes could even be in our scope of practice. That's why i think as future audiologist we should better prepare ourselves for the roles of tommorw.

Wonderful info, Thank you very much, wish I did more homework I had no info on the programs u mentioned..........Good Luck! Sounds to me you will excel wherever you decide!! Any thoughts on UT-Austin? I know UT-Dallas is top notch after speaking with alumni.............

yes all i did was contact my local universities Audiology program, they were more than happy to let me shadow. I'll i had to do was sign agreement that i wouldn't release any patient information. Private practice shadowing is different story though not as many Doctors were willing, i just got lucky and found a great one eager to show me the ropes.
So your a pre-pharmacy student have you done any shadowing in that particular field?
I have some volunteer experience in Pharmacy... Audiology is pretty new to me so I am not sure about the scope of volunteering in that field... I think i can directly ask the volunteer manager whether I can have some shadowing in the Audiology department... as i am from a different field.. will they let me do that?

On message above why i think Clinical part of the AuD is so important is that; from the articles i have read there is going to be a huge shortage of Doctors by the year 2020. That's where Audiologist will come in as the "PRIMARY" health care givers for Hearing; i read some articles who even said prescription writes could even be in our scope of practice. That's why i think as future audiologist we should better prepare ourselves for the roles of tommorw.
Did u get into any program... What about University of South Florida? As far as i know i think they have a clinically oriented program? It was some kind of late decision.. so i can apply only to one school in my area... luckily i am at the top of the waitlist.. hope i will get into...now i am extensively studying about the field. Seems like audiology is going to have a bright future. Sure it's in the hands of future audiologists like us ...

Wonderful info, Thank you very much, wish I did more homework I had no info on the programs u mentioned..........Good Luck! Sounds to me you will excel wherever you decide!! Any thoughts on UT-Austin? I know UT-Dallas is top notch after speaking with alumni.............
No i haven't heard too much about there program at UT-Austin, But UT-Dallas program is top notch one of their professors is legend in the field of Audiology!http://www.utdallas.edu/news/2009/02/06-002.php I have been thinking about applying to there program myself. One thing i know for sure is Vanderbilt's program is top notch as well even if does have research element as part of it's curriculum! I would be hard pressed not to go there if i got in.

I have some volunteer experience in Pharmacy... Audiology is pretty new to me so I am not sure about the scope of volunteering in that field... I think i can directly ask the volunteer manager whether I can have some shadowing in the Audiology department... as i am from a different field.. will they let me do that?
so your a pre- pharmacy student? Well if you need shadowing hours specifically for pharmacy to get into a pharmacy school, i doubt Audiology shadowing will be allowed too count for that to be honest. Although i don't see the harm in you shadowing Audiology in your spare time.

from the articles i have read there is going to be a huge shortage of Doctors by the year 2020. That's where Audiologist will come in as the "PRIMARY" health care givers for Hearing; i read some articles who even said prescription writes could even be in our scope of practice.

I'm as big on wisely enlarging the scope of practice as anyone. But why in the world would we want to become the primary hearing health care providers? We have zero training in anything that would allow us to perform these tasks. Not a single one of our tests, nor the sum of our tests, can actually diagnose ANYTHING! We aren't even allowed to diagnose hearing loss! How can an audio, tymps, and speech tests differentiate between sensory or neural hearing loss? They can't. How can we prove that no otitis media contributes to what we think is a conductive loss? We can't. There is a reason we write effusion and not fluid. There is a reason we write "possible irritation" and not otitis externa. As an audiologist, you have to mess up pretty bad to get sued. With the current sorry state of AuD programs, we are asking to get put out of business if we think we can take on this extra burdern. "Well why don't we just change out training," you say? Because that is called medical school. When you write a script, you have to have a solid knowledge of a person's entire medical history and a thorough understanding of human physiology, pharmacology, and a myriad of other subjects. Not to mention, if we ever try that, ENT's will eat us alive. AAA is no defense against the AMA. We need to try to get reimbursement for our current activities, like Epleys and cerumen management (which we currently provide free of charge), before we go biting the hand that feeds us.

Audiologists can't diagnose anything???? This must have been a misunderstanding on my part.... I feel as though I should just become an ENT if I am going to be under them, so to speak. :mad:

"Just becoming an ENT" is a little bit more easily said than done, as I am sure you are well aware. Furthermore, I am not arguing that AuDs operate under ENTs in most settings. Rather, I am arguing that if you want to take away a part of their job, their org is going to crush our org. I plan on operating quite independently of ENTs. The situation is the same as optos and opthals.

"Just becoming an ENT" is a little bit more easily said than done, as I am sure you are well aware. Furthermore, I am not arguing that AuDs operate under ENTs in most settings. Rather, I am arguing that if you want to take away a part of their job, their org is going to crush our org. I plan on operating quite independently of ENTs. The situation is the same as optos and opthals.
I agree on this point BUT most ENTs don't practice Audiology or dispense hearing aids themselves. They either hire Audiologist to do it for them or refer that work out too local private practice audiologist themselves. I have talked too several ENTs on this issue and they say they have better things to do with their time than preform hearing test and dispense hearing aids. If you don't believe me a majority of jobs available to Audiologist are in ENT practices, doing hearing test and dispensing hearing aids. I know several ENTs who let Audiologist run private practices out of their clinics as well. I'm not saying it will be an easy fight nor am i saying Audiologist will win it, I'm just saying most ENTs are not so hot on actually practing audiology themselves. Optometrist got the right to be primary care givers for "eyes", I think Audiology can eventually to do the same, BUT first our EDUCATION must get better!!

Well of course they don't want to sell hearing aids! Compared to their surgeon salaries, selling heading aids isn't a drop in the bucket. Most ENTs operate on 7 min schedules. From the time they first see the patient to the time they walk out the door, they want no more than 7 mins to go by. They are culling for surgeries, because that is how they make their money. Its not worth it for them to do a piddly little audio. However, this does not mean that if we wanted to start managing ear infections and the like, that they wouldn't come after us. Hearing aids is not primary health. They have that locked up and always will. We are better off excelling in our niche than trying to expand into areas in which we have no business. We are not physicians and we do not have any medical training. As I've said previously, the improvement in education in order to make us able to do these tasks is called medical school. Furthermore, the reason you see so many jobs offered in ENT offices is because a lot of AuDs aren't happy with their treatment there. Very high turnover. I would prefer to maintain my level of independence and not go start a war that we would lose.

For all of you students already going through the Au.D. program............

I am interested in knowing your opinion regarding the pros and cons of the audiology field. :)

i see a trend of more cons than pros in this forum.....quite discouraging for a future Audiology student

What steps do you have to go through to do the military audiologst option??
Any information is helpful! Thank you so much

ENT's actually fought the creation of the Aud and pushed to maintain ASHA as the governing body for audiology (ASHA did not support the AuD). ENT's will never give up prescribing without a huge fight. We as audiologists do not have sufficient education to prescribe anyway, but if future prescribing of meds is a goal of some students it is a LONG way off.