Private practice clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UNMorBUST

Mystery Man
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as private practice clinical pharmacists? Or are the only jobs out there working for hospitals?

Members don't see this ad.

Here in NM if you got your pharmacist clinician license you could be hired by a physician to work in their office. Is that what you're asking, like to see patients in an office setting?

Here in NM if you got your pharmacist clinician license you could be hired by a physician to work in their office. Is that what you're asking, like to see patients in an office setting?
Well i am thinking more along the lines of being contracted by a hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well i am thinking more along the lines of being contracted by a hospital.

we have one pharmacist who works for the general medicine physicians group in their clinics within the hospital... she's not an employee of the pharmacy department and we never see her.

But I haven't really seen an arrangement where an individual like that sees inpatients. Then again, at a community hospital, if you worked for a physician you could round on their patients in a similar manner to what they have their PAs do.

we have one pharmacist who works for the general medicine physicians group in their clinics within the hospital... she's not an employee of the pharmacy department and we never see her.

But I haven't really seen an arrangement where an individual like that sees inpatients. Then again, at a community hospital, if you worked for a physician you could round on their patients in a similar manner to what they have their PAs do.
Thanks for your replys njac. Im thinking of say i move back to Santa Fe ( sorry for people not familiar with New Mexico), there would not be enough work at St. Vincents, would it be possible for me to contract to St. Vs as well as the other small hospitals in Northern New Mexico?

they have clinical pharmacists at st. vincent's. the clinical director is wonderful.

The hospital in Taos has a HUGE (considering the size) clinical pharmacy influence and they're adding more all the time at Alta Vista in Las Vegas.

I don't know anything about the hospital in Espanola but there is quite a bit of clinical pharmacy influence in rural northern New Mexico, especially in the El Centro clinics.

and I think what you described the last time would be more like casual pool/prn. Still employed by the hospital but part time. Again, not uncommon.

and I think what you described the last time would be more like casual pool/prn. Still employed by the hospital but part time. Again, not uncommon.
Thats why you rock njac:thumbup::cool:. Yea i know your leaving NM but this is home:love: and i dont think i could ever leave. Just wondering what my options are. Did you do a rotation at St. Vs?

no, but the clinical director was a resident at my hospital not too long ago and a friend had an awesome ID rotation with her last summer.

My only non-ABQ rotation was an admin/anticoag at the psych hospital in LV as my parents live up there for the time being.

Are you going to just go for clinical pgy-1 or are you going to keep going for a pgy-2? I was interested in ID very much.

Most likely PGY2. I need to narrow down or focus my interests a little. I really like ID, ICU, ER, tox. There are a lot of options out there! I specifically applied to very flexible PGY1 programs that will let me tailor my experience to help me decide.

Most likely PGY2. I need to narrow down or focus my interests a little. I really like ID, ICU, ER, tox. There are a lot of options out there! I specifically applied to very flexible PGY1 programs that will let me tailor my experience to help me decide.
ER would rock as well. Where did you apply to PGY1?

a lot of places. there is an ER rotation for UNM, but you have to apply for it. I highly recommend it.

a lot of places. there is an ER rotation for UNM, but you have to apply for it. I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the advice. Ill keep all this in mind. I have to run errands i will talk to you later. Remember you rock:cool::thumbup:

I had a great rotation with a pharmacist who runs his own clinic and is involved in things as diverse as MTM, clinical trials and providing expert witness testimony in various legal case. Here is a link to an article that was in Pharmacy Today about his practice
http://apha.imirus.com/Mpowered/imirusApp.jsp?volume=pt14&issue=8&page=28

I know a couple people in Iowa who do similar thing - they are independent consultants providing MTM and other consulting services... There is a clinic in Wisconsin that does that, too...