Private practice: hospitals & research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nychila

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about two aspects of private practice. Please pardon my ignorance if my questions below seem obvious.

1. Why are many private practice doctors affiliated with hospitals? What advantage do these doctors have over non-hospital-affiliated peers? Would they nonetheless spend the majority of their time in their private clinic? Do patients prefer doctors who are affiliated with hospitals?

2. Why do most doctors in private practice advertise their research publications? Do patients prefer doctors who are also innovative in medical research? Is this a significant factor for patients in determining which doctor they want?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about two aspects of private practice. Please pardon my ignorance if my questions below seem obvious.

1. Why are many private practice doctors affiliated with hospitals? What advantage do these doctors have over non-hospital-affiliated peers? Would they nonetheless spend the majority of their time in their private clinic? Do patients prefer doctors who are affiliated with hospitals?

2. Why do most doctors in private practice advertise their research publications? Do patients prefer doctors who are also innovative in medical research? Is this a significant factor for patients in determining which doctor they want?

Thank you!

Anybody? I would really appreciate any input.

Thank you!

I'm a pediatrician -- we use hospital affiliations to use as a source of new patients/babies who dont have a pre-assigned pediatrician. It is possible to be a peds doc without having a hospital affiliation, but that is unusual. For patients that need to be admitted to the hospital, we usually rely on hospitalists to manage them.

Even with hospital affiliations most of us spend the vast majority of time in our clinic -- its difficult to drive back and forth in heavy traffic during the day and it takes time way from our busy clinic schedules.

I dont think most patients care that much about research, UNLESS they have a weird/rare/complex syndrome.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a surgeon - you need to have hospital privileges to operate and admit your patients. The few exceptions would be those who do all outpatient surgeries in surgery centers or their offices.

The obvious advantage to someone without hospital privileges ("affiliations" - which I have at several hospitals) is that I can admit them and operate at the hospital. I think patients do indeed prefer surgeons who have hospital affiliations as one usually finds it prudent to do major operations in a hospital.

I can't say that I've seen many people in PP advertise their research background/experience. Even if they did, its not likely high on most patient's lists except as Socrates notes, for patients with unusual conditions and most of those are going to a tertiary care center rather than seeing someone in PP in the community.

Last edited: