Private Practice Pulm Crit Insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRHEH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a banana car physician currently in a medium size healthcare system. Looking to relocate Due to family reasons.
I had my first interview with a private practice group last week. The job is a nice mix of pulm and crit.
If any of the folks in private practice can give insight on how days are, how many patients do you see, are you happy, work life balance… etc. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. All the best.

Members don't see this ad.

Side note what is Banana Car Physician? I googled it and it just led me back here.

1628625263946.png

Not to leave you hanging and hijack the post, I will provide some answer for you. Dont know how helpful this will be for you.

Anyway I personally do a primarily pulmonary outpatient (and my other outpatient subspecialty) and I cover my colleagues for some weekends and holidays when they need ICU coverage (like Sabbath saturdays, other religious holidays etc...). So my set up isn't a common one.

My colleagues who are hospital employed for Pulm and Crit in the NYC area work in a teaching community based hospital with a a residency (but no fellowship). There are 8 CCM physicians there (out of the 8, 6 are also pulm). They do ICU call once every 8 days and one weekend out of 8. They field phone calls from the residents overnight. respiratory therapy intubates. residents place central lines/arterial lines / do LPs etc. They rotate from pulmonary to CCM. They all are part of their own office faculty practice for private billing. MICU census runs like 10-12 per attending on service plus any "private" ICU consults they get. Although not an open ICU, if they see their own office patient in ICU (like a bad asthmatic) they can see more and bill more). Their office hours is like 4-5 patients per half day session. They seem to like it. COVID was tough but otherwise others do the intense laboring work (lines, tubes, etc) while the attendings can focus on the charting, billing, rounding, and talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.