Private practice questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synth

Reaction score
I'm about to start my PGY-4 year, and I am trying to finalize my plans for my solo practice after residency. I will work part-time for a county mental health authority or similar until my practice fills up. I have lurked SDN for the last few years and read many threads about this topic, but still have some questions.

1. How feasible is it to run a practice without any secretary?

Most negative reviews about psychiatrists I read are because of office staff, and generally not because of the psychiatrist. I don't know anything about employing someone.

However, I can see myself being busy returning calls, or scheduling patients. I also would feel slightly more at risk of being assaulted by a patient if I am the only person in the office.

2. Cash, checks, credit cards?

I would prefer to only accept cash. Checks can bounce or be cancelled. Credit cards come with processing fees, security standards (PCI DSS?), and chargebacks.

But some private docs I have rotated with state they wish they had learned how to do credit card billing, or keep cards on file. People can forget to bring cash or their checkbook.

I worry if I accept only cash, I will be at higher risk of someone trying to rob me when I'm closing up for the day or something.

3. How necessary is a website?

Many of the best psychiatrists in town have no website and every patient I see seems to know who they are. Those that do have a website just have pretty dull "Web 2.0" sites that look like they just changed a few words in a "Build your own site!" template. I will be getting referrals from PCPs, inpatient units, and similar, so I don't know how necessary a site is.

I would like to keep my practice low tech aside from credit cards and a simple website.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your question?

His question is “is this possible!?” He is a student that has dedicated his entire life to medicine, he doesn’t know **** about business, running a practice, employing people etc, and is wondering is it possible for someone so ignorant as him at this stage to develop a flourishing and meaningful private practice/business on his own. Is it even worth it is also an important aspect of his question.

Reactions: 1 users
3. How necessary is a website?

Many of the best psychiatrists in town have no website and every patient I see seems to know who they are. Those that do have a website just have pretty dull "Web 2.0" sites that look like they just changed a few words in a "Build your own site!" template. I will be getting referrals from PCPs, inpatient units, and similar, so I don't know how necessary a site is.
I don't have a private practice and so could be wrong, but I believe a website to be very necessary. Your referral sources will use it to remember your phone number. Patients will go to the website to help determine if they want to see you. Plus, your referral sources may not fill you sufficiently quickly or sufficiently at all. A website that looks professional is an easy advertising tool.

For checks, don't many banks allow you to deposit the check by taking a picture? I think that ought to allow you detect bounced checks before providing the service and prevent patients from cancelling the check.

When it is your practice, you can do it however you want. Some psychiatrists keep a small practice with a high hourly rate. They only want calls from referrals that they know will pay their prices. A website causes everyone to call which bogs down the line.

The bigger you want to become, the more add-ons you need to support your clinical time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1. It's feasible, easier if you use an electronic EMR with a patient portal. This allows patients to schedule themselves, message you rather than call, and pay their bills online. The larger your practice, the more time you'll spend on non-billable administrative tasks. Here are a few ways I've been able to automate my front-office tasks:

My phone number is answered by an auto-attendant, with 4 options (1. New consult requests, 2. existing pt's changing appointments, 3. med refills, and 4. option to have calls routed to me during business hours). Each selection is then provided with directions (i.e., if med refills, directions for patient to leave name, pharmacy, med, etc). They will then press "1" to leave this information. This way I am not constantly bothered by these calls and all end up as messages. It pretty much lets patients triage their concerns. Now, granted, some of my patients always choose the "talk to the doctor options." As I see many 20-30 year olds, most hate calling and just message me via my patient portal.

2. I take all. Credit card fees are a pain but I consider them part of my overhead and use a cheap EMR instead. I like credit cards because the payment is easily taken and there is very little excuse for not paying, I re-coup a lot of money this way. Also, credit card processing integrates with my patient portal, allowing patients to pay outside of session. I used to bill all of my patients, monthly but switched to taking the payment each session. That way, I don't have to bill them; it saves paper and stamps.

3. If you are in a niche specialty and no one else does what you do, you can get away without having one. If you don't want your own personal URL, at least pay to be on psychologytoday.com and register yourself on google maps. Many people in my market use that site to find people. Some EMRs provide users with a public profile (e.g., luminello, practice fusion). A lot of my patients are self-referred and found my through either typing "psychiatrist" into google maps or on psychology today.

Another plug for a website is that I take all my consultation requests through a google form. Even when people call my number and hit the "request consultation" option, they receive a prompt that "due to high call volume, requests are only taken through my website." The google form asks things about prior hospitalizations, suicide, current treatment, and payment. Before patients are asked these questions, they have to consent that this is not an emergency. I conveniently get their info. From here I can screen them and verify their insurance, all before contacting them.

Reactions: 8 users
I worry if I accept only cash, I will be at higher risk of someone trying to rob me when I'm closing up for the day or something.

Imagine how your patients will feel having to carry several hundred dollars on their person every time they come to see you. This will drive some people away who would otherwise be willing to pay your fee. If the idea of the CC processing fee bugs, then tweak your rates a little.

How feasible is it to run a practice without any secretary?

In my city, a lot of the solo psychiatrists share office expenses with 4+ other people, which keeps overhead manageable without the complexities of a true group practice/partnership arrangement.

Many of the best psychiatrists in town have no website and every patient I see seems to know who they are.

Ask yourself how that happened. It wasn't overnight. One way or another, money is coming out of your pocket for marketing, networking, buying lunches for people, or whatever means you find for driving traffic to your practice.

For checks, don't many banks allow you to deposit the check by taking a picture? I think that ought to allow you detect bounced checks before providing the service and prevent patients from cancelling the check.

You would probably detect the bounce long after they'd left. Personally I wouldn't worry about it; bounced checks are rare, and the person who bounced it could only get one "free" session out of it before you detected the problem. Refusing checks sounds like a bigger hassle.

You can always add in credit card processing fees like a lot of small businesses/gas stations do. I feel like if you’re upfront about it (post it on your front desk, website, etc) people shouldn’t have a problem with it and you’ve given them that option.

Imagine how your patients will feel having to carry several hundred dollars on their person every time they come to see you. This will drive some people away who would otherwise be willing to pay your fee. If the idea of the CC processing fee bugs, then tweak your rates a little.

In my city, a lot of the solo psychiatrists share office expenses with 4+ other people, which keeps overhead manageable without the complexities of a true group practice/partnership arrangement.

Ask yourself how that happened. It wasn't overnight. One way or another, money is coming out of your pocket for marketing, networking, buying lunches for people, or whatever means you find for driving traffic to your practice.

Every practice is different, but the problems that you foresee are sometimes not a problem at all.

I’ve seen thriving psychiatrists only accept cash. I only accept credit cards. I have no interest in the added time of depositing/monitoring cash or checks. If that turns a few patients away, oh well. My dermatologist only accepts cash. I go to the bank before seeing him, but it is worth his higher quality care.

I know of psychiatrists with no website and no advertising. 100% word of mouth, and she is doing great. She may have originally grown faster with a website, but she preferred a slightly slower growth with higher fees. Depending on when you call, she sometimes isn’t taking new patients at all. She has not been in private practice more than 5 years.

Any thoughts or comments on zocdoc? Worthwhile?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are thinking about things completely wrong IMHO. You are obsessing over small details. Who cares if you only take credit card or cash. And on the secretary bit: it’ll become very clear if you’ll need a secretary if you need one. These questions you are thinking about are basically irrelevant to whether you’ll build a successful practice, and the answers can change. for example, you can start without a website, and if it doesn’t work, add a website.

There are very big, strategic questions: how do you get customers in the door, and what kind of business model you want for your practice. What kind of practice do you want? There are many different kinds of psychiatric practices. You should think about these bigger questions first. It’s very hard to give answers in generalities because the possibility of various kinds of practices depends on your CV, where you are located, and how you market yourself., etc

In general, in most parts of the country, if you take insurance and practice psychiatry as a usual medical practice, you’ll fill very quickly with a fairly substantial administrative burden. Approximately 50% of psychiatrists don’t take any insurance. This means that you can sustain a cash practice in about half of circumstances. Within the group of solo practitioners, the range of revenue generation is HUGE easily varying between 100k to over a million or more.

1. It's feasible, easier if you use an electronic EMR with a patient portal. This allows patients to schedule themselves, message you rather than call, and pay their bills online. The larger your practice, the more time you'll spend on non-billable administrative tasks. Here are a few ways I've been able to automate my front-office tasks:

My phone number is answered by an auto-attendant, with 4 options (1. New consult requests, 2. existing pt's changing appointments, 3. med refills, and 4. option to have calls routed to me during business hours). Each selection is then provided with directions (i.e., if med refills, directions for patient to leave name, pharmacy, med, etc). They will then press "1" to leave this information. This way I am not constantly bothered by these calls and all end up as messages. It pretty much lets patients triage their concerns. Now, granted, some of my patients always choose the "talk to the doctor options." As I see many 20-30 year olds, most hate calling and just message me via my patient portal.

2. I take all. Credit card fees are a pain but I consider them part of my overhead and use a cheap EMR instead. I like credit cards because the payment is easily taken and there is very little excuse for not paying, I re-coup a lot of money this way. Also, credit card processing integrates with my patient portal, allowing patients to pay outside of session. I used to bill all of my patients, monthly but switched to taking the payment each session. That way, I don't have to bill them; it saves paper and stamps.

3. If you are in a niche specialty and no one else does what you do, you can get away without having one. If you don't want your own personal URL, at least pay to be on psychologytoday.com and register yourself on google maps. Many people in my market use that site to find people. Some EMRs provide users with a public profile (e.g., luminello, practice fusion). A lot of my patients are self-referred and found my through either typing "psychiatrist" into google maps or on psychology today.

Another plug for a website is that I take all my consultation requests through a google form. Even when people call my number and hit the "request consultation" option, they receive a prompt that "due to high call volume, requests are only taken through my website." The google form asks things about prior hospitalizations, suicide, current treatment, and payment. Before patients are asked these questions, they have to consent that this is not an emergency. I conveniently get their info. From here I can screen them and verify their insurance, all before contacting them.

Do you deduct your credit card processing fees as a business expense?

Sorry for the delayed response, I greatly appreciate everyone who replied to my thread.

Is talking to (and screening) a new patient over the phone when they call to make their first appointment, seen as establishing a doctor-patient relationship?

Examples: People who just want to continue high dose Xanax, ADHD evaluations, persons only seeking disability (show up to one appointment, no-show to the second, then the records request comes from the lawyer!), etc.

Is talking to (and screening) a new patient over the phone when they call to make their first appointment, seen as establishing a doctor-patient relationship?.

That is frequently debated. I would teach your staff to do it, not you. With many health insurance companies adding telemedicine services, patients have difficulty knowing where the line is that establishes a doctor-patient relationship.

Sorry for the delayed response, I greatly appreciate everyone who replied to my thread.

Is talking to (and screening) a new patient over the phone when they call to make their first appointment, seen as establishing a doctor-patient relationship?

Examples: People who just want to continue high dose Xanax, ADHD evaluations, persons only seeking disability (show up to one appointment, no-show to the second, then the records request comes from the lawyer!), etc.

I would argue that a 10 minute phone conversation where you figure out their needs and screen them would not be considered a doctor patient relationship, but others may disagree. This is what many of the PP psychiatrists do and what was recommended to me. Ideally your staff member would do it, but this doesn’t work when you have a small practice and it’s just you. There is no hard line. Certainly I’d argue an in-person visit or a telepsych visit would constitute a doctor patient relationship.

Current Psychiatry. 2014 September;13(9):54-57

Author(s):

Christopher P. Marett, MD, MPH
Fellow in Forensic Psychiatry

Douglas Mossman, MD
Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and Director

Division of Forensic Psychiatry
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Cincinnati, Ohio

Dear Dr. Mossman,

When I take a call from a treatment-seeker at our outpatient clinic, I ask brief screening questions to determine whether our services would be appropriate. Shortly after I screened one caller, Ms. C, she called back requesting a medication refill and asking about her diagnosis.

What obligation do I have to Ms. C? Is she my patient? Would I be liable if I didn’t help her out and something bad happened to her?

Submitted by “Dr. S”

Office and hospital Web sites, LinkedIn profiles, and Facebook pages are just a few of the ways that people find physicians and learn about their services. But most 21st century doctor-patient relationships still start with 19th century technology: a telephone call.

Talking with prospective patients before setting up an appointment makes sense. A short conversation can clarify whether you offer the services that a caller needs and increases the show-up rate for initial appointments.1

But if you ask for some personal history and information about symptoms in a screening interview, does that make the caller your patient? Ms. C seemed to have thought so. To find out whether Ms. C was right and to learn how Dr. S should handle initial telephone calls, we’ll look at:
• the rationale for screening callers before initiating treatment
• features of screening that can create a doctor-patient relationship
• how to fulfill duties that result from screening.

Why screen prospective patients?
Mental health treatment has become more diversified and specialized over the past 30 years. No psychiatrist nowadays has all the therapeutic skills that all potential patients might need.

Before speaking to you, a treatment-seeker often won’t know whether your practice style will fit his (her) needs. You might prefer not to provide medication management for another clinician’s psychotherapy patient or, if you’re like most psychiatrists, you might not offer psychotherapy.

In the absence of prior obligation (eg, agreeing to provide coverage for an emergency room), physicians may structure their practices and contract for their services as they see fit2—but this leaves you with some obligation to screen potential patients for appropriate mutual fit. In years past, some psychiatrists saw potential patients for an in-office evaluation to decide whether to provide treatment—a practicethat remains acceptable if the person is told, when the appointment is made, that the first meeting is “to meet each other and see if you want to establish a treatment relationship.”3

Good treatment plans take into account patients’ temperament, emotional state, cognitive capacity, culture, family circumstances, substance use, and medical history.4 Common mental conditions often can be identified in a telephone call.5,6 Although the diagnostic accuracy of such efforts is uncertain,7 such calls can help practitioners determine whether they offer the right services for callers. Good decisions about initiating care always take financial pressures and constraints into account,8 and a pre-appointment telephone call can address those issues, too.

For all these reasons, talking to a prospective patient before he comes to see you makes sense. Screening lets you decide:
• whether you’re the right clinician for his needs
• who the right clinician is if you are not
• whether he should seek emergency evaluation when the situation sounds urgent.

Do phone calls start treatment?
As Dr. S’s questions show, telephone screenings might leave some callers thinking that treatment has started, even before their first office appointment. Having a treatment relationship is a prerequisite to malpractice liability,9 and courts have concluded that, under the right circumstances, telephone assessments do create physician-patient relationships.

Creating a physician-patient relationship
How or when might telephone screening make someone your patient? This question doesn’t have a precise answer, but how courts decided similar questions has depended on the questions the physician asked and whether the physician offered what sounded like medical advice.10,11 A physician-patient relationship forms when the physician takes some implied or affirmative action to treat, see, examine, care for, or offer a diagnosis to the patient,9,12,13 such as:
• knowingly accepting someone as a patient14
• explicitly agreeing to treat a person
• “acting in some other way such that the patient might reasonably be led to assume a doctor-patient relationship has been established.”15

Also, the “fact that a physician does not deal directly with a patient does not necessarily preclude the existence of a physician-patient relationship,”12 so a telephone conversation can create such a relationship if it contains the right elements. Table 116 highlights actions that, during the course of screening, might constitute initiation of a physician-patient relationship. Table 2 offers suggestions for managing initial telephone contacts to reduce the chance of inadvertently creating a physician-patient relationship.

https://www.mdedge.com/sites/default/files/Image/September-2017/RTEmagicC_CP013090054_t1.jpg.jpg

https://www.mdedge.com/sites/default/files/Image/September-2017/RTEmagicC_CP013090054_t2.jpg.jpg

In the eyes of the law, whether a physician-patient relationship was formed depends on specific facts of the situation and may be decided by a jury.13,14 In the case of Ms. C, Dr. S might avoid premature creation of a physician-patient relationship by refraining from offering a diagnosis at the conclusion of the screening call.17

Prescribing
Although features of the original screening interview indicated that Ms. C was not yet Dr. S’s patient, prescribing certainly would commence a physician-patient relationship.18 But even if the screening had made Ms. C a patient, refilling her prescription now probably is a bad idea.

Assuming that a physician-patient relationship exists, it is unlikely that a short telephone interview gave Dr. S enough information about Ms. C’s medical history and present mental status to ensure that his diagnostic reasoning would not be faulty. It also is unlikely that telephone screening allowed Dr. S to meet the standard of care for prescribing—a process that involves choosing medications suitable to the patient’s clinical needs, checking the results of any necessary lab tests, and obtaining appropriate informed consent.19

Satisfying duties
Outpatient facilities can instruct telephone screeners to conduct interviews in ways that reduce inadvertent establishment of a treatment relationship, but establishing such a relationship cannot be avoided in all cases. If a caller is distraught or in crisis, for example, compassion dictates helping him, and some callers (eg, Ms. C) may feel they have a firmer treatment relationship than actually exists.

Once you have created a physician-patient relationship, you must continue that relationship until you end it appropriately.3 That does not mean you have to provide definitive treatment; you simply need to exercise “reasonable care according to the standards of the profession.”16,20 If a caller telephones in an emergency situation, for example, the screening clinician should take appropriate steps to ensure safety, which might include calling law enforcement or facilitating hospitalization.3

One way to fulfill the duties of a physician-patient relationship inadvertently established during initial screening is through explicit discharge (if medically appropriate) or transfer of care to another physician.15 A prudent clinic or practitioner will describe other mental health resources in the community and sometimes assist with referral if the inquiring potential patient needs services that the provider does not offer.

In many communities, finding appropriate mental health resources is difficult. Creative approaches to this problem include transitional psychiatry or crisis support clinics that serve as a “bridge” to longer-term services,21,22 preliminary process groups,23 and telepsychiatry transitional clinics.24 When a clinic does not accept a person as a patient, the clinic should clearly document 1) key features of the contact and 2) the rationale for that decision

Bottom Line
You have a right and a responsibility to screen prospective patients for good fit to your treatment services. In doing so, however, you might inadvertently create a physician-patient relationship. If this happens, you should fulfill your clinical responsibilities, as you would for any patient, by helping the patient get appropriate care from you or another provider.

References

1. Shoffner J, Staudt M, Marcus S, et al. Using telephone reminders to increase attendance at psychiatric appointments: findings of a pilot study in rural Appalachia. Psychiatr Serv. 2007;58(6):872-875.
2. Hiser v Randolph, 1980 617 P2d 774 (Ariz App).
3. American Psychiatric Association. Practice management for early career psychiatrists: a reference guide, 6th edition. Home │ psychiatry.org starting-a-practice. Published October 16, 2006. Accessed July 8, 2014.
4. Delgado SV, Strawn JR. Difficult psychiatric consultations: an integrated approach. New York, NY: Springer; 2014.
5. Aziz MA, Kenford S. Comparability of telephone and face-to-face interviews in assessing patients with posttraumatic stress disorder. J Psychiatric Pract. 2004;10(5): 307-313.
6. Michel C, Schimmelmann BG, Kupferschmid S, et al. Reliability of telephone assessments of at-risk criteria of psychosis: a comparison to face-to-face interviews. Schizophr Res. 2014;153(1-3):251-253.
7. Muskens EM, Lucassen P, Groenleer W, et al. Psychiatric diagnosis by telephone: is it an opportunity [published online March 15, 2014]? Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. doi: 10.1007/s00127-014-0861-9.
8. Cassel CK, Guest JA. Choosing wisely: helping physicians and patients make smart decisions about their care. JAMA. 2012;307(17):1801-1802.
9. Roberts v Sankey, 2004 813 NE2d 1195 (Ind App).
10. O’Neill v Montefiore Hospital, 1960 202 NYS 2d 436 (NY App).
11. McKinney v Schlatter, 1997 692 NE2d 1045 (Ohio App).
12. Dehn v Edgecombe, 865 A2d 603 (Md 2005).
13. Kelley v Middle Tennessee Emergency Physicians, 133 SW3d 587 (Tenn 2004).
14. Oliver v Brock, 342 So2d 1 (Ala 1976).
15. Appelbaum PS, Gutheil TG. Malpractice and other forms of liability. In: Appelbaum PS, Gutheil TG, eds. Clinical Handbook of Psychiatry and the Law, 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2007:115-116.
16. Simon RI, Shuman DW. The doctor-patient relationship. Focus. 2007;5(4):423-431.
17. Torres A, Wagner R. Establishing the physician-patient relationship. J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1993;19(2):147-149.
18. Aboff BM, Collier VU, Farber NJ, et al. Residents’ prescription writing for nonpatients. JAMA. 2002;288(3):381-385.
19. Edersheim JG, Stern TA. Liability associated with prescribing medications. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2009;11(3):115-119.
20. Brown v Koulizakis, 331 SE2d 440 (Va 1985).
21. University of Michigan Department of Psychiatry. Crisis support clinic. Patient Care | Psychiatry | Michigan Medicine | University of Michigan. Accessed July 9, 2014.
22. UAB Department of Psychiatry. UAB - The University of Alabama at Birmingham - Home medicine/psychiatry. Accessed July 9, 2014.
23. Stone WN, Klein EB. The waiting-list group. Int J Group Psychother. 1999;49(4):417-428.
24. Detweiler MB, Arif S, Candelario J, et al. A telepsychiatry transition clinic: the first 12 months experience. J Telemed Telecare. 2011;17(6):293-297.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Current Psychiatry. 2014 September;13(9):54-57

Author(s):

Christopher P. Marett, MD, MPH
Fellow in Forensic Psychiatry

Douglas Mossman, MD
Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and Director

Division of Forensic Psychiatry
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Cincinnati, Ohio

Dear Dr. Mossman,

When I take a call from a treatment-seeker at our outpatient clinic, I ask brief screening questions to determine whether our services would be appropriate. Shortly after I screened one caller, Ms. C, she called back requesting a medication refill and asking about her diagnosis.

What obligation do I have to Ms. C? Is she my patient? Would I be liable if I didn’t help her out and something bad happened to her?

Submitted by “Dr. S”

Office and hospital Web sites, LinkedIn profiles, and Facebook pages are just a few of the ways that people find physicians and learn about their services. But most 21st century doctor-patient relationships still start with 19th century technology: a telephone call.

Talking with prospective patients before setting up an appointment makes sense. A short conversation can clarify whether you offer the services that a caller needs and increases the show-up rate for initial appointments.1

But if you ask for some personal history and information about symptoms in a screening interview, does that make the caller your patient? Ms. C seemed to have thought so. To find out whether Ms. C was right and to learn how Dr. S should handle initial telephone calls, we’ll look at:
• the rationale for screening callers before initiating treatment
• features of screening that can create a doctor-patient relationship
• how to fulfill duties that result from screening.

Why screen prospective patients?
Mental health treatment has become more diversified and specialized over the past 30 years. No psychiatrist nowadays has all the therapeutic skills that all potential patients might need.

Before speaking to you, a treatment-seeker often won’t know whether your practice style will fit his (her) needs. You might prefer not to provide medication management for another clinician’s psychotherapy patient or, if you’re like most psychiatrists, you might not offer psychotherapy.

In the absence of prior obligation (eg, agreeing to provide coverage for an emergency room), physicians may structure their practices and contract for their services as they see fit2—but this leaves you with some obligation to screen potential patients for appropriate mutual fit. In years past, some psychiatrists saw potential patients for an in-office evaluation to decide whether to provide treatment—a practicethat remains acceptable if the person is told, when the appointment is made, that the first meeting is “to meet each other and see if you want to establish a treatment relationship.”3

Good treatment plans take into account patients’ temperament, emotional state, cognitive capacity, culture, family circumstances, substance use, and medical history.4 Common mental conditions often can be identified in a telephone call.5,6 Although the diagnostic accuracy of such efforts is uncertain,7 such calls can help practitioners determine whether they offer the right services for callers. Good decisions about initiating care always take financial pressures and constraints into account,8 and a pre-appointment telephone call can address those issues, too.

For all these reasons, talking to a prospective patient before he comes to see you makes sense. Screening lets you decide:
• whether you’re the right clinician for his needs
• who the right clinician is if you are not
• whether he should seek emergency evaluation when the situation sounds urgent.

Do phone calls start treatment?
As Dr. S’s questions show, telephone screenings might leave some callers thinking that treatment has started, even before their first office appointment. Having a treatment relationship is a prerequisite to malpractice liability,9 and courts have concluded that, under the right circumstances, telephone assessments do create physician-patient relationships.

Creating a physician-patient relationship
How or when might telephone screening make someone your patient? This question doesn’t have a precise answer, but how courts decided similar questions has depended on the questions the physician asked and whether the physician offered what sounded like medical advice.10,11 A physician-patient relationship forms when the physician takes some implied or affirmative action to treat, see, examine, care for, or offer a diagnosis to the patient,9,12,13 such as:
• knowingly accepting someone as a patient14
• explicitly agreeing to treat a person
• “acting in some other way such that the patient might reasonably be led to assume a doctor-patient relationship has been established.”15

Also, the “fact that a physician does not deal directly with a patient does not necessarily preclude the existence of a physician-patient relationship,”12 so a telephone conversation can create such a relationship if it contains the right elements. Table 116 highlights actions that, during the course of screening, might constitute initiation of a physician-patient relationship. Table 2 offers suggestions for managing initial telephone contacts to reduce the chance of inadvertently creating a physician-patient relationship.

https://www.mdedge.com/sites/default/files/Image/September-2017/RTEmagicC_CP013090054_t1.jpg.jpg

https://www.mdedge.com/sites/default/files/Image/September-2017/RTEmagicC_CP013090054_t2.jpg.jpg

In the eyes of the law, whether a physician-patient relationship was formed depends on specific facts of the situation and may be decided by a jury.13,14 In the case of Ms. C, Dr. S might avoid premature creation of a physician-patient relationship by refraining from offering a diagnosis at the conclusion of the screening call.17

Prescribing
Although features of the original screening interview indicated that Ms. C was not yet Dr. S’s patient, prescribing certainly would commence a physician-patient relationship.18 But even if the screening had made Ms. C a patient, refilling her prescription now probably is a bad idea.

Assuming that a physician-patient relationship exists, it is unlikely that a short telephone interview gave Dr. S enough information about Ms. C’s medical history and present mental status to ensure that his diagnostic reasoning would not be faulty. It also is unlikely that telephone screening allowed Dr. S to meet the standard of care for prescribing—a process that involves choosing medications suitable to the patient’s clinical needs, checking the results of any necessary lab tests, and obtaining appropriate informed consent.19

Satisfying duties
Outpatient facilities can instruct telephone screeners to conduct interviews in ways that reduce inadvertent establishment of a treatment relationship, but establishing such a relationship cannot be avoided in all cases. If a caller is distraught or in crisis, for example, compassion dictates helping him, and some callers (eg, Ms. C) may feel they have a firmer treatment relationship than actually exists.

Once you have created a physician-patient relationship, you must continue that relationship until you end it appropriately.3 That does not mean you have to provide definitive treatment; you simply need to exercise “reasonable care according to the standards of the profession.”16,20 If a caller telephones in an emergency situation, for example, the screening clinician should take appropriate steps to ensure safety, which might include calling law enforcement or facilitating hospitalization.3

One way to fulfill the duties of a physician-patient relationship inadvertently established during initial screening is through explicit discharge (if medically appropriate) or transfer of care to another physician.15 A prudent clinic or practitioner will describe other mental health resources in the community and sometimes assist with referral if the inquiring potential patient needs services that the provider does not offer.

In many communities, finding appropriate mental health resources is difficult. Creative approaches to this problem include transitional psychiatry or crisis support clinics that serve as a “bridge” to longer-term services,21,22 preliminary process groups,23 and telepsychiatry transitional clinics.24 When a clinic does not accept a person as a patient, the clinic should clearly document 1) key features of the contact and 2) the rationale for that decision

Bottom Line
You have a right and a responsibility to screen prospective patients for good fit to your treatment services. In doing so, however, you might inadvertently create a physician-patient relationship. If this happens, you should fulfill your clinical responsibilities, as you would for any patient, by helping the patient get appropriate care from you or another provider.

References

1. Shoffner J, Staudt M, Marcus S, et al. Using telephone reminders to increase attendance at psychiatric appointments: findings of a pilot study in rural Appalachia. Psychiatr Serv. 2007;58(6):872-875.
2. Hiser v Randolph, 1980 617 P2d 774 (Ariz App).
3. American Psychiatric Association. Practice management for early career psychiatrists: a reference guide, 6th edition. Home │ psychiatry.org starting-a-practice. Published October 16, 2006. Accessed July 8, 2014.
4. Delgado SV, Strawn JR. Difficult psychiatric consultations: an integrated approach. New York, NY: Springer; 2014.
5. Aziz MA, Kenford S. Comparability of telephone and face-to-face interviews in assessing patients with posttraumatic stress disorder. J Psychiatric Pract. 2004;10(5): 307-313.
6. Michel C, Schimmelmann BG, Kupferschmid S, et al. Reliability of telephone assessments of at-risk criteria of psychosis: a comparison to face-to-face interviews. Schizophr Res. 2014;153(1-3):251-253.
7. Muskens EM, Lucassen P, Groenleer W, et al. Psychiatric diagnosis by telephone: is it an opportunity [published online March 15, 2014]? Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. doi: 10.1007/s00127-014-0861-9.
8. Cassel CK, Guest JA. Choosing wisely: helping physicians and patients make smart decisions about their care. JAMA. 2012;307(17):1801-1802.
9. Roberts v Sankey, 2004 813 NE2d 1195 (Ind App).
10. O’Neill v Montefiore Hospital, 1960 202 NYS 2d 436 (NY App).
11. McKinney v Schlatter, 1997 692 NE2d 1045 (Ohio App).
12. Dehn v Edgecombe, 865 A2d 603 (Md 2005).
13. Kelley v Middle Tennessee Emergency Physicians, 133 SW3d 587 (Tenn 2004).
14. Oliver v Brock, 342 So2d 1 (Ala 1976).
15. Appelbaum PS, Gutheil TG. Malpractice and other forms of liability. In: Appelbaum PS, Gutheil TG, eds. Clinical Handbook of Psychiatry and the Law, 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2007:115-116.
16. Simon RI, Shuman DW. The doctor-patient relationship. Focus. 2007;5(4):423-431.
17. Torres A, Wagner R. Establishing the physician-patient relationship. J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1993;19(2):147-149.
18. Aboff BM, Collier VU, Farber NJ, et al. Residents’ prescription writing for nonpatients. JAMA. 2002;288(3):381-385.
19. Edersheim JG, Stern TA. Liability associated with prescribing medications. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2009;11(3):115-119.
20. Brown v Koulizakis, 331 SE2d 440 (Va 1985).
21. University of Michigan Department of Psychiatry. Crisis support clinic. Patient Care | Psychiatry | Michigan Medicine | University of Michigan. Accessed July 9, 2014.
22. UAB Department of Psychiatry. UAB - The University of Alabama at Birmingham - Home medicine/psychiatry. Accessed July 9, 2014.
23. Stone WN, Klein EB. The waiting-list group. Int J Group Psychother. 1999;49(4):417-428.
24. Detweiler MB, Arif S, Candelario J, et al. A telepsychiatry transition clinic: the first 12 months experience. J Telemed Telecare. 2011;17(6):293-297.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Good article. Thanks.

I would argue that a 10 minute phone conversation where you figure out their needs and screen them would not be considered a doctor patient relationship, but others may disagree. This is what many of the PP psychiatrists do and what was recommended to me. Ideally your staff member would do it, but this doesn’t work when you have a small practice and it’s just you. There is no hard line. Certainly I’d argue an in-person visit or a telepsych visit would constitute a doctor patient relationship.

Precisely because it's debatable is why your malpractice insurance will settle the case. They're not going to spend money hiring experts to argue what constitutes a doctor-patient relationshiup or spend money and time researching case law.

Personally, I'd probably have an online intake questionnaire that requires an electronic signature agreeing that online and phone intakes do not constitute a doctor-patient relationship and that they will not rely on any information discussed. Judges like bright lines because they can toss the case.

Precisely because it's debatable is why your malpractice insurance will settle the case. They're not going to spend money hiring experts to argue what constitutes a doctor-patient relationshiup or spend money and time researching case law.

Personally, I'd probably have an online intake questionnaire that requires an electronic signature agreeing that online and phone intakes do not constitute a doctor-patient relationship and that they will not rely on any information discussed. Judges like bright lines because they can toss the case.
What case? What exactly are we worried people are going to sue us for if we decline to see them or prescribe or perform treatment after a brief phone call ending with "I'm sorry, it sounds like my services are not appropriate for your needs. Here is a list of some other local psychiatrists. Have a nice day."

What case? What exactly are we worried people are going to sue us for if we decline to see them or prescribe or perform treatment after a brief phone call ending with "I'm sorry, it sounds like my services are not appropriate for your needs. Here is a list of some other local psychiatrists. Have a nice day."

1 example:
Abandonment. The “patient” or family will claim that a physician discussed symptoms, reviewed history, and made recommendations (to see a different psychiatrist for example) which establishes a physician-patient relationship. A bad outcome then happened due to the patient not having access to care. Thus the physician is liable .

I am worried that the husband and young children of the 25 year old mother who I declined to see sue me.. when she kills herself 48 hours later......

I think the article linked above does a good job of framing this issue. Basically, it's case by case. You keep the screening call short, you explicitly state in the call that this is a consultation call to determine fit and not an evaluation. You don't prescribe/renew meds before seeing the patient, and you don't offer a diagnosis. If based on what you hear from the patient you don't think you'll be able to provide the appropriate services, you refer elsewhere. Luminello has an "intake" form for an initial consultation that has a specific checkbox that the patient is not currently in a life-threatening situation, which eliminates the issue of abandonment during a crisis.

It's not reasonable to force providers to see every single patient who wants to see you, and I think doing the above limits your risk of malpractice.

I am worried that the husband and young children of the 25 year old mother who I declined to see sue me.. when she kills herself 48 hours later......

This is exactly why I stopped doing clinical screening calls. My "screening call" consists of me letting people know my fee schedule and contact information to schedule for an intake. Also, I have NEVER screened down someone for being "too sick" over phone for an evaluation, so I find this whole process useless. If someone's too sick, you do an evaluation and figure out what's the right thing to do (emergency room vs. IOP) while you take them on as a patient (and get paid for your time). Or you don't take them on at all because your practice is full.

Phone screening of clinical material is literally unpaid time. Unless it can demonstrate real value IMHO it shouldn't be used. The only reason why phone screen would be useful is where you are trying to make a pitch for the patient (and/or family) to get an eval with you. Remember, the answer to literally every problem is a FULL DIAGNOSTIC EVALUATION. If she can't afford me and kills herself and I am not aware of her symptoms, I'm not responsible for our system not allowing access to care in a timely way. Meanwhile, if she can't afford me and I ask clinical questions, all of a sudden I'm possibly responsible for her care... IMHO that ridiculous possibility needs to be cut out from its root: if you find yourself in the spot where you are constantly trying to screen for "easier" cases, it's time to raise your fees or close your practice temporarily for being way too full.

Now this doesn't apply to non-cash practices (i.e. in our field, ~ 50% of scenarios). In that case, I don't think there should be ANY screening from an MD. The secretary just schedule you in for an eval at an open spot and bill insurance. If you show up. Why would you even attempt to evaluate anyone without getting paid (and document fully) for it? Does anyone ever call an endocrinologist's office and expect a refill? What other medical specialty does that? Very strange...

Frankly, I think the system of screening call was developed by psychoanalysts and used very inappropriately such that a crop of (often older) psychiatrists can't handle very basic psychopharmacology with any shade of real world complexity (garden variety alcoholism, garden variety borderline pathology etc). That said, they've figured it out and can draw clients despite being super selective, so hey I don't blame them for raking it in.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I stopped doing clinical screening calls. My "screening call" consists of me letting people know my fee schedule and contact information to schedule for an intake. Also, I have NEVER screened down someone for being "too sick" over phone for an evaluation, so I find this whole process useless. If someone's too sick, you do an evaluation and figure out what's the right thing to do (emergency room vs. IOP) while you take them on as a patient (and get paid for your time). Or you don't take them on at all because your practice is full.

Phone screening of clinical material is literally unpaid time. Unless it can demonstrate real value IMHO it shouldn't be used. The only reason why phone screen would be useful is where you are trying to make a pitch for the patient (and/or family) to get an eval with you. Remember, the answer to literally every problem is a FULL DIAGNOSTIC EVALUATION. If she can't afford me and kills herself and I am not aware of her symptoms, I'm not responsible for our system not allowing access to care in a timely way. Meanwhile, if she can't afford me and I ask clinical questions, all of a sudden I'm possibly responsible for her care... IMHO that ridiculous possibility needs to be cut out from its root: if you find yourself in the spot where you are constantly trying to screen for "easier" cases, it's time to raise your fees or close your practice temporarily for being way too full.

Now this doesn't apply to non-cash practices (i.e. in our field, ~ 50% of scenarios). In that case, I don't think there should be ANY screening from an MD. The secretary just schedule you in for an eval at an open spot and bill insurance. If you show up. Why would you even attempt to evaluate anyone without getting paid (and document fully) for it? Does anyone ever call an endocrinologist's office and expect a refill? What other medical specialty does that? Very strange...

Frankly, I think the system of screening call was developed by psychoanalysts and used very inappropriately such that a crop of (often older) psychiatrists can't handle very basic psychopharmacology with any shade of real world complexity (garden variety alcoholism, garden variety borderline pathology etc). That said, they've figured it out and can draw clients despite being super selective, so hey I don't blame them for raking it in.

Interesting points...thanks for your insights