Private Practice Suggestions!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Hives

Have been contemplating this for a while but not sure if this is financial and logistically sustainable so thought of sharing it here, to get your valuable insights before proceeding further.

I am first generation immigrant who completed my MD psychiatry residency in my home country and was working there as attending psychiatry before moving here in US to redo psychiatry residency again. Recently graduated and started working in NYC as an outpatient psychiatrist. Here in my work, I got to see quite a few ppl from my native country/culture and this has reignited my long time suppressed interest to work with them again. Given non compete clause taken care of, would appreciate guidance in following matters.

1. Have been thinking, if it is feasible to open a small home based private practice dedicated mainly to ppl from my native culture and wondering if I am legally and ethically allowed to do so- open a service for a selected group of population?
2. Mainly looking for a small home based private practice over the weekend or in evening hours? Are there are zoning law specially in NYC preventing these, could not find whether to look further. If any of you who are acquainted about it could provide me with suggestions or any leads, would be a great help.
3. Given not so substantial potential number of patients, was wondering what could be the best payment option- cash vs insurance based? Wether insurance paneling would be worth while given a small one man based practice with all those logistics, paper and process involved. Cash based- whether there would be enough people willing and afford to pay out of network cash based practice?

Looking for your valuable suggestions and ways to make it happen with appropriate modifications/suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes feasible. As long as there's no non-compete, work away. there are no ethical issues I know of.
2. No. There's nothing to worry about there. You need to buy your own malpractice
3. You are free to try to make it work by taking insurance if you want, but I would start with taking cash and see if it's viable. Just get started and experiment.

Hot off my SMS: these are the average rates for Medicare and Commercial insurances: 99213 $ $98.51 to $104.34 99214 $139.10 to $150.71 90833 $73.97 to $78.49 90836 $93.87 to $99.71
- if you think you can bill more cash then don't worry about insurance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user