Private practice volume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Billy Ruben

Reaction score
I’m wondering if there’s someone with experience in private practice who can comment on pay rates. I’m just entering the adult job market.

I see that colonoscopy is 3.4 RVU and Medicare pays $34 per RVU. How can private practice afford to pay the rates I’m seeing, typically greater than 500k? Are people really doing 20-30 colonoscopies a day in private practice? Does private insurance pay more per RVU? I feel like I’m missing something.

Members don't see this ad.

You can PM me, yes you are missing something. You dont really understand the business model of (most) private practice and the various revenue streams outside of straight professional fees.

No one is doing 30 colonoscopies a day, and very few are doing 20.

Reactions: 1 user
You can PM me, yes you are missing something. You dont really understand the business model of (most) private practice and the various revenue streams outside of straight professional fees.

No one is doing 30 colonoscopies a day, and very few are doing 20.
ASC and path fees?

I’m wondering if there’s someone with experience in private practice who can comment on pay rates. I’m just entering the adult job market.

I see that colonoscopy is 3.4 RVU and Medicare pays $34 per RVU. How can private practice afford to pay the rates I’m seeing, typically greater than 500k? Are people really doing 20-30 colonoscopies a day in private practice? Does private insurance pay more per RVU? I feel like I’m missing something.
You are not personally getting a check from Medicare unless you are in solo practice doing your own billing. Your ASC or employer is billing a facility fee for the procedure that is still on average over 500 for an ASC and over 1k for hospital outpatient despite the conversion factor to reference above. That's if you are only doing one procedure and not a double or not doing another maneuver that is clinically appropriate, in which case the payments quickly accumulate and escalate to be higher. Also the Medicare national average payment for a physician doing for example snare polypectomy is 4.56 RVU and 256 dollars which is 56 dollars per RVU. That number is closer to the Median $ per RVU in certain regions, and still even higher in others

Reactions: 1 users