private practice with a masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ng269722

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,

I am currently a senior (undergrad student), in the process of taking my GRE's and applying to grad schools. For so long i have been hooked on getting into a doctoral program (Clinical Ph.D) but since i dont think my GRE scores are going to make the cut off i have been strongly considering a masters in psychology.

My ultimate goal is to open up my own private practice...is this possible with a masters degree in psych? and what kind of degree in particular (terminal, non terminal) would increase my chances of achieving this goal? and should it be in any particular concentration (mental health counseling, clinical?)

I would appreciate any feedback...

Thanks!
Nicole

Members don't see this ad.

hello everyone,

I am currently a senior (undergrad student), in the process of taking my GRE's and applying to grad schools. For so long i have been hooked on getting into a doctoral program (Clinical Ph.D) but since i dont think my GRE scores are going to make the cut off i have been strongly considering a masters in psychology.

My ultimate goal is to open up my own private practice...is this possible with a masters degree in psych? and what kind of degree in particular (terminal, non terminal) would increase my chances of achieving this goal? and should it be in any particular concentration (mental health counseling, clinical?)

I would appreciate any feedback...

Thanks!
Nicole

There are several masters degrees with which you can have your very own private practice.
The oldest degree is a MSW (social work), with an emphasis in mental health counseling (the program must offer training in this emphasis). The pluses of this degree are that it is more established with a stronger union, and most insurance companies will reimburse you to see clients with this degree (and you can be licensed in all 50 states). The downside is that you do not get as much clinical/counseling training as with a purely counselng degree, since you spend some of your time learnng basic social-worky stuff.
Another degree is MFT (marriage and family therapy). This is a purely counseling degree and you can be licensed in all 50 states. The theoretical orientation of these programs is family/systems based (which may be a change from your undergrad education). Also, you will spend a lot of your time counseling couples and familes, and your time with individuals will focus on their relationships. If you are inclined to treat more seriously mentall ill clients, this may not be the career path for you. MFT programs are accredited by the AAMFT. Going to an accredited program ensures the quality of the program and will make initial licensing and transfering a license between states much easier.
The final option(s) are MA in Community Counseling or Mental Health Counseling (leading to becoming a licensed professional counselor (LPC) or a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)). One of these licenses are available in 48 states (not yet in California or Nevada). Community Counseling programs are 48 credits, and Mental Health Counseling programs are 60 credits. You have a lot of flexibility with what type of population you work with with this degree. You need to check the requirements for licensing in the state(s) that you want to live in to decide which of these programs would work best. This type of program is accredited by CACREP, and going to an accredited program will bring the same benefits as with the MFT. Requirements for professional counselors with these degrees seem to be moving towards the longer MHC degree, so it might be in your best interest to get the more in depth degree now, making it easier to transfer your license later.
You can go to a non-accredited program in any of these areas and still get licensed, but it will be more difficult. Most state licensing boards have provisions that make it much easier to transfer your license to that state if you attended a CACREP or AAMFT accredited program, and if you are a National Board Certified Counselor (NBCC).
I suggest checking out any of their websites for more detailed info.
Hope that helps. I've researched the area a fair amount, so I might be able to answer any more questions if you have them.

princessrosered - that was a spot on reply.

Jeff

ditto what Jeff said.

whatever you decide, just make sure the program is accredited by the appropriate governing body. this will make the licensure process as smooth as possible.