Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThomasP

Reaction score
I'm interested in this specialty but have a few questions.

Is it hard to set up a private practice in this field? I mean, I know not many people know much about PM&R or even what they do so I assume you are going to have to depend on referrals if you go down this route. Is that right?

How can you make it easier to do this? Is specializing in sports medicine and marketing in this a way?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean start your own practice or find non-academic PM&R positions with companies already in existence?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m in solo/private practice, but I’m also hospital-based so I have no overhead. I don’t really need to worry about referrals since it’s an inpatient rehab unit and the unit has liaisons whose job is to find patients.

I know plenty of solo/private practice docs in my area. Only one or two are PM&R, but there’s only about four of us in the first place.

Sports med is tough. Typically you’ll want to be attached to an ortho practice (that would be the bulk of your referrals), and most private practice sports docs do a lot of pro-bono work for high school sports teams as a way to get patient referrals.

Private practice for most docs is tough, but you can make a lot more. But there’s a whole lot of startup costs if you start your own practice. There are probably some good books out there that can guide you better, but ultimately you need to see if the area you’re going into can actually support your practice-as started above, it can be very difficult in saturated areas.

If ultimately private practice is your priority, I’d recommend looking into psych. I know plenty of psychiatrists who just rent a room. Otherwise their overhead is the same as mine (malpractice, biller fees, etc). They usually do their own scheduling too.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m in solo/private practice, but I’m also hospital-based so I have no overhead. I don’t really need to worry about referrals since it’s an inpatient rehab unit and the unit has liaisons whose job is to find patients.

I know plenty of solo/private practice docs in my area. Only one or two are PM&R, but there’s only about four of us in the first place.

Sports med is tough. Typically you’ll want to be attached to an ortho practice (that would be the bulk of your referrals), and most private practice sports docs do a lot of pro-bono work for high school sports teams as a way to get patient referrals.

Private practice for most docs is tough, but you can make a lot more. But there’s a whole lot of startup costs if you start your own practice. There are probably some good books out there that can guide you better, but ultimately you need to see if the area you’re going into can actually support your practice-as started above, it can be very difficult in saturated areas.

If ultimately private practice is your priority, I’d recommend looking into psych. I know plenty of psychiatrists who just rent a room. Otherwise their overhead is the same as mine (malpractice, biller fees, etc). They usually do their own scheduling too.

Thanks for the advice.

I was actually thinking of choosing either psych or pm&r. There are a couple things that are making it difficult to come to a final decision. I prefer MSK pathology and procedures more than Psychiatry. I prefer actually helping people in a way in which the benefits of the treatment is very tangible to the patient.

Also, I'm not sure if it's going to get difficult to open a solo private practice in psych in the near future. If that happens then the major benefit of psych gets thrown out of the window. Do you think this might happen in the near future?

I'm prepared to go through with the startup costs because this is what I want. I already bought a couple of books to get an idea at first..but I'm just wondering, is it much more difficult to survive in solo/private practice in pm&r? Is it possible to make >200k in private practice? or is it really difficult with the current economic climate and the nature of the specialty?

Thanks for the advice.

I was actually thinking of choosing either psych or pm&r. There are a couple things that are making it difficult to come to a final decision. I prefer MSK pathology and procedures more than Psychiatry. I prefer actually helping people in a way in which the benefits of the treatment is very tangible to the patient.

Also, I'm not sure if it's going to get difficult to open a solo private practice in psych in the near future. If that happens then the major benefit of psych gets thrown out of the window. Do you think this might happen in the near future?

I'm prepared to go through with the startup costs because this is what I want. I already bought a couple of books to get an idea at first..but I'm just wondering, is it much more difficult to survive in solo/private practice in pm&r? Is it possible to make >200k in private practice? or is it really difficult with the current economic climate and the nature of the specialty?

I would actually argue psych patients who are helped by their psychiatrist will feel their physician more tangibly helped them than most doctors out there. While PM&R patients are among the most grateful out there, a psych patient who is actually helped/feels helped may be even more grateful.

I don't see why it'd be difficult to open a solo practice (unless you're in a saturated area like Manhattan). I could probably open up a "psych" practice, cash pay (insurance won't reimburse me without psych residency), since demand where I live is so high and supply is so low.

I think starting a solo practice in MSK would be difficult if you are going to need any imaging. But if the most you do are peripheral injections, then that's quite doable--I have a collegue who started her own general PM&R practice. She does EMG and peripheral injections, botox, etc. Keep in mind we're in a low supply area. I could easilly go out there and start my own consult service, or an MSK clinic--we have that high a supply of patients and low supply of physicians in general.

If you start a practice in the right area, and work hard/are good at what you do, it'd be hard to make less than $200k. The first year or two could be rough, but unless you're taking an absurd amount of time off or just can't fill your clinic, $200k is not much in private practice. If you own your practice, that might be a half-time salary. There's a big difference in income when comparing employed physicians vs those who own their practice. Hopefully some private MSK physiatrists can chip in about what a reasonable salary is.

Of course, you have no safety net if you own your practice. While you can, and often, earn more than employed physicians, if you're not good at what you do/can't manage your business (a whole new set of skills that need to be learned), or can't get enough referrals (people skills are important here), then you could end up making less.

I'm interested in this specialty but have a few questions.

Is it hard to set up a private practice in this field? I mean, I know not many people know much about PM&R or even what they do so I assume you are going to have to depend on referrals if you go down this route. Is that right?

How can you make it easier to do this? Is specializing in sports medicine and marketing in this a way?

I have a private practice. Very saturated area but still able to manage it. Mostly due to good non physician referral sources (chiros, PT, massage therapists, personal trainers, acupuncturist etc). Lots of google marketing and social media. Decided to keep overhead really low and have number of sources of income vs just relying on clinic. Subacute consults on the side helps along with med legal.
For sports med you need a constant supply of new patients since what we do helps patients and they don't return often. I could have setup a pain clinic which means monthly visits but glad I didn't pick that route. In summary almost impossible to setup sports med clinic and be busy 5 days a week if solo in a large metro.

Reactions: 1 user