Private vs. Public

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnowyDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I need to get a firm understanding on this topic. What is the reason that someone chooses a private institution opposed to public? Is it simply the private may have a better first time pass and graduation rate? If numbers are comparable between the two, going private or public really doesn't make a difference, does it?

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, physical therapy is sort of the opposite of undergrad when it comes to public vs. private. In undergrad, there are a lot of private schools looking for "elite" labels that are competitive to get into and state schools are easier to get into. In physical therapy, state schools are often more difficult to get into because they are much cheaper to in state students. My experience is limited to my own application experience so maybe I'm off. Aside from cost, I don't know any reason that there would be a difference. Whatever the case, pick the cheapest school you get into that has good pass rates and graduation rates.

In my experience, physical therapy is sort of the opposite of undergrad when it comes to public vs. private. In undergrad, there are a lot of private schools looking for "elite" labels that are competitive to get into and state schools are easier to get into. In physical therapy, state schools are often more difficult to get into because they are much cheaper to in state students. My experience is limited to my own application experience so maybe I'm off. Aside from cost, I don't know any reason that there would be a difference. Whatever the case, pick the cheapest school you get into that has good pass rates and graduation rates.
That's what I thought too. I got into a number of private and state schools and eventually decided to go state school because of tuition rates. I was just wondering who had other opinions

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are more private programs and most private programs are less competitive. Location. All in all, it doesn't make a difference, though I'm opposed to for-profit institutions.

Reactions: 3 users
Ok, I need to get a firm understanding on this topic. What is the reason that someone chooses a private institution opposed to public? Is it simply the private may have a better first time pass and graduation rate? If numbers are comparable between the two, going private or public really doesn't make a difference, does it?

A lot don't get into state schools honestly. Then, there are some that actually really want to do private and are in situations where they don't care about the extra cost. Ditto the above.

To me, it just depends on the school and the program at that particular school. I'll be attending USA in the Fall. Where I'm from, there are only 2 in-state schools to choose from, neither meeting the school requirements I was looking for. So, whether I chose a private school or not, I'd pay roughly the same due to the double in cost for out-of-state tuition.

What is the reason that someone chooses a private institution opposed to public?

Generally because they don't get accepted to a significantly more affordable state institution. There are many reasons of course, but this is the most common. Location is also critical for a lot of people.

Reactions: 1 users