private vs. public?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slickvic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love more than anythign to specialize in the psychodynamic persepctive, the only colleges i have discovered are private and twice the cost of other public universities. I suppose i could compromise and still get a job and do some researchand reading on my own or bite the bullet and go to a private college, what do you guys think? Also, is there any finanical aid typical for phd students at private or public colleges or am i on my own.

Members don't see this ad.

You can get financial aid as a grad student, though from what I've heard its more often in the form of loans.

That being said the vast majority of good PhD programs will offer some form of tuition remission. Keep looking, perhaps you just haven't come across any yet, but I looked up info on about 100 different schools during my search and only somewhere between 5-10 didn't offer to waive 80-100% of tuition. Conveniently, these were usually pretty crummy schools I'd rather not have attended anyways.

I have the book that helps people pick a counceling or clinical psyc grad school, many have listed , "tuition waver" and the percentage of people getting it. Does thta mean the school pays for a majority of tuition for those people?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it does.
Look into a bit more as some schools call it a "tuition waiver" despite only waiving a relatively nominal amount of tuition.

For the vast majority though, they will waive enough of your costs that you pay almost nothing to go to school. I'm expecting to be in school for 5 years and my total costs for the school itself (not counting books, living expenses, travel, etc.) should be around $4000 total across all 5 years.

I have the book that helps people pick a counceling or clinical psyc grad school, many have listed , "tuition waver" and the percentage of people getting it. Does thta mean the school pays for a majority of tuition for those people?
That means the school effectively "waives" the tuition charge; you don't have to pay it. From everything I've seen, as far as research-oriented programs go, the better a school is, the less likely you are to have to pay to go there (go figure). Practice-oriented programs as well as schools with a psychodynamic perspective seem to be more likely to require students to pay tuition, but generally if you are looking at PhD programs, tuition is not usually a big concern (most places will cover it). This seems to be across the board, regardless of public or private status. That said, I only really looked into CBT-oriented research programs, so there may be subtleties to psychodynamic school tuition habits of which I'm unaware.

Hope that helps.