Pro/cons of residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocereTruth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I don’t know of many older optometrists who did a residency, but I was curious as how beneficial it was to do a residency in something like ocular disease/primary care or pediatrics?

I imagine the extra exposure and experience is helpful to hone your clinical skills, but could some people share what they believe are pros and cons to doing a residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I don’t know of many older optometrists who did a residency, but I was curious as how beneficial it was to do a residency in something like ocular disease/primary care or pediatrics?

I imagine the extra exposure and experience is helpful to hone your clinical skills, but could some people share what they believe are pros and cons to doing a residency?
It all depends on where you want to work after you graduate. Do you want to work in Academics, VA Hospital, Indian Health? Then you will need to do a residency.

If you are just wanting to work private practice then in my opinion you will be caught up to speed within working 2-3 years. I almost did a residency. But now working in private practice I don't think I would have benefited that much.

Reactions: 1 user