Pro/cons of residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DocereTruth

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

I don’t know of many older optometrists who did a residency, but I was curious as how beneficial it was to do a residency in something like ocular disease/primary care or pediatrics?

I imagine the extra exposure and experience is helpful to hone your clinical skills, but could some people share what they believe are pros and cons to doing a residency?
 
Hello everyone!

I don’t know of many older optometrists who did a residency, but I was curious as how beneficial it was to do a residency in something like ocular disease/primary care or pediatrics?

I imagine the extra exposure and experience is helpful to hone your clinical skills, but could some people share what they believe are pros and cons to doing a residency?
It all depends on where you want to work after you graduate. Do you want to work in Academics, VA Hospital, Indian Health? Then you will need to do a residency.

If you are just wanting to work private practice then in my opinion you will be caught up to speed within working 2-3 years. I almost did a residency. But now working in private practice I don't think I would have benefited that much.