Probable Reapplicant- Quitting Clinical Job for Research Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dawgs_

Reaction score
Hi! I am a current applicant this cycle with no interviews (still haven't heard from ~20 schools but my hopes are low at this point) and am trying to plan my life for the next year and a half with the expectation of not getting in this cycle. I currently work at a family medicine office and have accumulated ~1,200 hours, in addition to the 250 hours of clinical volunteering I already had. I am getting really bored of the job- it's a really small practice, so the MA's have both back and front office responsibilities, so a huge chunk of my job right now is answering phones which honestly sucks. The doctor is great, my coworkers are not my favorite people in the world, but it's fine.

Anyway, I've been looking at other jobs because I wanted to switch things up for gap year #2, and recently interviewed for a research position in a lab associated with a medical school in my city. It's in infectious diseases, but it's a wetlab position. The PI seemed great and said she provides a lot of opportunities for mentorship and career guidance which I think I could use as someone who is about to have 2 failed cycles (WL at 2 schools last year).

My only concern is: would it look bad if I quit a clinical job for a research job? I already have 1000 hours of research and a pub from undergrad, so it's not really something I'm lacking. If I were to accept this position, I would try to add some more clinical volunteering, maybe at a hospice or at the med school's hospital, but would it just be best to find a different paid clinical position? I don't want it to cause confusion for why I'm not going the PhD or MD/PhD route, if that makes sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that this cycle hasn't gone much better for you. I don't recall your WAMC, or what you put down as your hours for clinical versus non-clinical experiences. I think a lot of people find a research position as a weigh station while applying to medical school, and as long as your research supervisor knows this, you're good.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, cool! I'm gonna give applying to medical school one more shot, so I didn't want to screw myself again by not doing something clinical full-time for another year.

My clinical experience is above (150 of hospital volunteering, 100 hours of family med volunteering + 1200 of paid), in addition to 100 hours of shadowing. I started the family med position after I submitted my primary since I was naively holding out on those WL decisions, but was able to mention it on all my secondaries.

For non-clinical, I had 1,000 hours research, 150 hours with my school's student chapter of doctors without borders, 300 hours of leadership with another student organization that's centered around kids, 500 hours of nonclinical part-time employment, and 50 hours of peer tutoring. I think a major thing I was lacking was nonclinical volunteering that's not through a school club, which I've added throughout this cycle and updated schools about, but I know update letters rarely do much. I should've added DO schools this time, but that's something I'll do next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user