Probably a stupid question, but any problems going prelim IM to categorical IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray Finkle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have to scramble this year for IM. I applied to all the categorical spots, and most of the prelim spots. My question is, what will happen next year if I match into a prelim spot this year? I don't mind starting over from PGY1, but will categorical IM programs be less likely to take me if I did prelim IM this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Have to scramble this year for IM. I applied to all the categorical spots, and most of the prelim spots. My question is, what will happen next year if I match into a prelim spot this year? I don't mind starting over from PGY1, but will categorical IM programs be less likely to take me if I did prelim IM this year?

I had this conversation with a program director a few months ago. He actually told me that he prefers someone who's already been in a PGY-1 year over a brand new graduate because they are so much easier to transition them into the residency years. Of course, a strong LoR is required from that PGY-1's program director to help prove the point. It especially works well if you do the PGY-1 year at a place where you'll be applying to their categorical the next year (as long as you're not a bum).

I can see both pros and cons on this. I'd be interested to see what others have heard as well.

wouldn't there be residency funding issues involved? And what does an unfunded residency mean? Low pay or no pay? And are the rules different for IMGs?

wouldn't there be residency funding issues involved? And what does an unfunded residency mean? Low pay or no pay? And are the rules different for IMGs?

You get paid the same. The funding is about what programs get subsidized by having a resident who has already used up a year of eligibility. Basically it makes you a bit less lucrative for them. But won't impact your salary if you can land a position.

You get paid the same. The funding is about what programs get subsidized by having a resident who has already used up a year of eligibility. Basically it makes you a bit less lucrative for them. But won't impact your salary if you can land a position.

I see. Thanks. Just wondering how unlikely it makes one to land a position. Would there be programs that simply won't sponsor unfunded residencies?

You can potentially get a PGY-2 position, don't necessarily have to repeat intern year. Some spots do open up, and you can always talk to your prelim PD and ask if you can stay on.