Probation during residency, affect credentialing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Froggie1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was placed on probation in residency for clinical problems at one of my rotation sites during my first year of residency. I was successfully taken off of probation, and finished residency on time. I have the respect and good favor of my fellow residents and attendings except the attendings at that problem site. A patient I did a surgical procedure on at that site is suing, but I am not named in the suit. After the adverse surgical outcome, I was not allowed to perform procedures for the remainder month of that rotation, but went on and completed all other rotations with full surgical privileges.

I've learned from my mistakes and am a better physician, and despite the difficult period in training, I completed the requirements of probation with a good attitude and without mal-intent towards my attendings. In fact, my fellow residents and many of my attendings think it's ridiculous that I was even put on probation as it is the program's responsibility to adequately supervise residents. The residents even collectively wrote a letter of support for me to be placed in my residency file.

My question is: the probation period, time without surgical privileges, and the patient suing- will this keep me from getting credentialed at a hospital? I'm currently taking a year off and applying for fellowship. If I do match, does that mean that credentialing will not be an issue? Or if I do match and am unable to get credentialed, would I lose my fellowship spot? The fellowship directors I have interviewed with did not know if I would have problems with credentialing. I have a medical license, DEA number, and am board eligible. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer, no.

If you successfully completed your residency, and your PD will provide a letter to that effect, with no red flags or wishy washy comments, whatever temporary problems you had while training will never come up.

In addition, if you are not named in the lawsuit, that will never come up, either. The question asked on application forms will be "Are you the subject of any pending litigation?", not is anyone you were peripherally involved with during residency suing anyone you happened to know then.

Thanks Gudog,
could you please elaborate on what is meant by "with no red flags or wishy washy comments"?

My PD's letter states that I was put on probation for x,y,z, details the remediation plan which I had successfully completed, had a surgical misadventure that harmed the patient which caused my surgical privileges to be taken away for a month, but the last paragraph states that I've learned from my previous mistakes, showed professionalism, am competent in all areas, and graduated in good standing.

So besides the last paragraph, the rest of the letter to me seems like major red flags. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

If you have ever been placed on probation, you will need to report it on EVERYTHING. Having just applied for priviledges and also medical licenses, all the forms have a question asking about "Any Disciplinary Actions". In fact, most send a form to your program asking if you have ever been placed on probation or had any other disciplinary action against you during your training. And the answer for you will always be yes and the program will need to provide details.

In my the form sent to the Post-Graduate Institution asks "Any Disciplinary Action" and "Any Derogatory Information on File". "If yes, provide details."

Because I am nosy and love the vagueness of the term "surgical misadventure", what exactly happened?

This is the question you will get from credentials committees.

Might as well type up a clear explanation of what happened, because this will follow you pretty much forever.

is probation same as taken off service with pay. My buddy got time off in family medicine to look for medicine position.

OP, I don't think you should post what happened on here. It might make you too easy to identify, and you need to protect yourself.

As mentioned above, you will be asked about this when you apply for licensing and for hospital privileges. You can't really do much about it except to be honest, within reason, and tell what you learned from the whole situation. If it's just one incident then I think it is unlikely to keep you from getting a license in any state...that's just my opinion. I guess it probably depends on what happened to the patient and what your role in that was, though. Sometimes in cases like this it takes a bit longer to get the medical license.