Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Probation

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by +Pharm, May 3, 2007.

1. +Pharm

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello, I have got an academic probation :( in my freshman year(to much partying ) and it was 8 years ago, then do I have to list it on the 'backgound' section in Pharmcas application?
    Has anyone got accepted to pharmacy school with academic probation in the past? :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Priapism321

Priapism321 Bursting with enthusiasm

Pharmacist
    Yes, you should list it. I had a lot worse than academic probation on my application and was accepted. Most professional schools will tell you, "tell the absolute truth, and we can work with you; lie, and we cannot."

How the hell were you a freshman 8 years ago, and are just getting around to applying to pharmacy school now, that is the only thing that would stick out to me?

4. dienophile

Pharmacy Student
    My application was not through Pharmcas, but I do have 1 semester of academic probation (freshman year). I just elaborated on my lack of maturity in the "please explain" section. It was never mentioned or questioned again. Good luck.

5. ageldred

ageldred Member

Pharmacy Student
    Now let's all be nice. I was a freshman 8 years ago, in 1999 and I'm starting pharmacy school this fall. I have work experience and two bachelors degrees. Some people have to live life a little first before they figure out what they want to do.

6. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member

No joke. Freshman year was 1998. Currently a P1.

7. timbutt2

Pharmacy Student
    Well put! I have a history degree (I feel like I spent 4 years and $20,000 figuring out what I DIDN'T want to do...:rolleyes: ). Freshman-1999. Now I'm earning my Biology degree and will hopefully start next fall!! Congratulations on finding a path!

I don't think it will hurt you honestly-is your first degree science related?

8. dienophile

Pharmacy Student
    Dont worry Priapism. I sure that at a later date you will be able elaborate on your lack of maturity in the "please explain" section when asked about your mindless comment.

9. jesterman

jesterman New Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I was a freshman about 8 years ago too, and also got put on academic probation my first semester at college. I did report that on Pharmcas and in my supplementary application, I explained what happend at the part where they ask you "if you've ever had any academic difficulties you would like to explain". I think the key is being honest, well, you don't really have a choice because they'll see it on your transcript, but more importantly, tell them what you have learned from it. BTW, I got into a few pharmacy schools in California for this Fall. So, anyway, being on probation is not the end--don't give up. Good luck!

10. danhphan80

Pre-Pharmacy
    It is not about the Problem. It is about how you OVERCOME IT. Be Positive, buddy. and good luck

11. ageldred

ageldred Member

Pharmacy Student
    My first degree is in finance. It's hard to go wrong with a business degree :) But I find pharmacy is what I enjoy and it's relatively recession proof. Glad you found your path with pharmacy also but don't think you wasted time and money on that history degree....you earned it so be proud of it!

12. cycloketocaine

Pharmacist
    See...I tried a business degree, cause my dad's in "business", anyway, I dropped Financial Accounting cause I about DIED of boredom....:cool:

13. +Pharm

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks for your encouragements!
    I have a degree in economics and I wasted a lot time and money until I found a path to pharmacy.
    However I don't regret it at all because I know what I really wanna do now. I work in the pharmacy...
    it's not an easy job, but it's fun! Good luck to everyone applying for entering class of 2008! :luck: